Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-04, 11:39 AM   #1

Default St. Croix Rods

Is there a significant difference between the Avid Series and the Premier series? Any help would be greatly appreciated?
Old 12-13-04, 08:59 PM   #2
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass
Default Re: St. Croix Rods

I'm not a St. Croix fan but I can tell you the graphite seems to be different between the two, the Premier has less guides and I broke the only two I ever owned.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 12:23 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rob Y. link=board=news;num=1102948792;start=0#0 date=12/13/04 at 09:39:50]Is there a significant difference between the Avid Series and the Premier series? Any help would be greatly appreciated?[/quote]

I am a St Croix fan, and the difference IMO isn't as substantial as the price difference They both are stiff rods, and if you have the money to spend go ahead and spend it, but as I said it's not a big enough difference for the price. I have also broken 1 of them, but it's because I had it sticking out the edge as I went by a dock, and it got caught up and snapped. :'( I then sent it in to St Croix, with $10 for shipping, and received a brand new one within a couple of weeks. My biggest issue with St Croix is the eyes, have a tendency to pop apart(where the plastic meets the steel) Other than that I love them and the sensitivity you get.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 09:01 PM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I have a Saint crow avid series flippin stick, sold it once and got it back in another trade.The Funny thing is I used it one day and the guy who had it never used it before trading it back to me. It Looks real cool hangin on the wall while the Castaway Bud Pruitt series go in the boat to go fishing. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 09:12 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1102948792;start=0#3 date=12/21/04 at 19:01:29]I have a Saint crow avid series flippin stick, sold it once and got it back in another trade.The Funny thing is I used it one day and the guy who had it never used it before trading it back to me. It Looks real cool hangin on the wall while the Castaway Bud Pruitt series go in the boat to go fishing. ;D P N J[/quote]

I have been waiting for your reply, I knew it was coming

Lizards
Old 12-22-04, 07:12 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, The title got me hook, line & sinker. ;D P N J Rob, If I could suggest that you should take a good look at the Castaway rod lineup before buying a new rod. I really think they are as good as anything else out there on the market, I currently own somewhere around 70 rods , Only 4 of them are Castaway rods as to proof of knowledge of other rod companies and not some paid sponsored opinion.They are all good rods, its just that I think Castaway puts out the best quality rods for my moneys worth.I cannot complain about All star, Daiwa, Falcon, Fenwick,Shimano rods but I still feel that Castaway has a great product for the money as well.I hope this helps. P N J
Old 01-25-05, 10:57 PM   #7

???I have been fishing with St. Croix rods for 9 years.
I have never broke one, I fish 150 days a year. I have only lost two eyelets due to banging 1 ounch carolina rig weights against them again and again. St. Croix uses Fugi guides - alconite and Silicon Carbon. The best guides money can buy. No one makes a better rod than St. Croix. I own about 30 of them, they are the lightest rods I have ever used. I used allstar, falcon and Castaways for years, there is just no comparison in sensitivity and duribility and weight. Back to your original question. The Avid is a much better rod, and the Avid comes with a lifetime guarentee, the premier is
a 1 year warrenty. Just from my experience I put a premier in the class of an Cast away or Falcon, the Avid is a differnt level all together. St. Croix has a new line of specialty rods this year called Legend Tournament Rods. They are priced in between an Avid and an Elite.
If you like to throw wacky worms, buy a legend elite that weight 3.7 oz and put a new chronarch 50 on it, the whole rig weights less than 8 oz.
Old 01-26-05, 07:19 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Billy, You have got be joking about putting saint crows up against castaway or falcons ?I have a peice of crap Saint crow Avid series flippin stick in the rack when the Castaway Bud Pruitt series flippin sticks are out every trip.The saint [s]crap[/s] croix was $170.00, the Castaway are $99.00 . Wouldn't you think I would fish the Avid stick if it were better ? ;D P N J
Old 01-26-05, 09:08 PM   #9
RedShad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RedShad

Here you go again, P N J, just like the old days. ;D
RedShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 07:40 AM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

??? RayWill, I only told what I thought about the Saint Croix. I didn't get nasty about it and tell how well the lifetime warranty worked out on it when the rod failed to function the first day out fishing.Beleive me when I say that I will never fall for that lifetime warranty crap again on a rod.The post was as dead as the chance is of me owning another Avid series rod. ;D Were you posting as a guest to drag this back up ?I just don't want to see anyone else make the same stupid mistake as I did. Alot of people here don't have that kind of money to write it off as a lesson learned without suffering somehow from it when $170.00 is the penalty for learning, so if I can save one person the trouble ,it is worth the posts I made. P N J
Old 01-27-05, 08:49 AM   #11
RedShad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RedShad

No, I am not BillyBass. I've never posted anything on the board as a guest.

Even though I don't have any St. Croix rod, I know one thing for sure. They use good grade cork for handle.

I'd like reading your posts as always, P N J.
RedShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 09:29 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=BIllyBass link=board=news;num=1102948792;start=0#6 date=01/25/05 at 20:57:21] ???I have been fishing with St. Croix rods for 9 years.
I have never broke one, I fish 150 days a year. I have only lost two eyelets due to banging 1 ounch carolina rig weights against them again and again. St. Croix uses Fugi guides - alconite and Silicon Carbon. The best guides money can buy. No one makes a better rod than St. Croix. I own about 30 of them, they are the lightest rods I have ever used. I used allstar, falcon and Castaways for years, there is just no comparison in sensitivity and duribility and weight. Back to your original question. The Avid is a much better rod, and the Avid comes with a lifetime guarentee, the premier is
a 1 year warrenty. Just from my experience I put a premier in the class of an Cast away or Falcon, the Avid is a differnt level all together. St. Croix has a new line of specialty rods this year called Legend Tournament Rods. They are priced in between an Avid and an Elite.
If you like to throw wacky worms, buy a legend elite that weight 3.7 oz and put a new chronarch 50 on it, the whole rig weights less than 8 oz. [/quote]

Well as I stated I'm a fan, and there are those who aren't However this appears to come across as a Sales rep, or perhaps the manufacturer of the product ??? I didn't say the guides were crap I said that was the only problem I had. Just because they can spend a lot of money on a guide they BUY, doesn't mean it's the BEST! I understand to be a fan, but just because it costs more doesn't mean it's the best. Some folks don't like them, oh well you can't please everyone. I like them more because of my fishing STYLE, more than they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I had a different STYLE of fishing I preferred, such as crankbaits, I probably wouldn't be using too many of the Saint Croix rods. This is just my opinion of course.

Lizards
Old 01-27-05, 10:17 AM   #13
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LIZARDS,

What was the reference point BEFORE "sliced bread"??

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 03:07 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JackL link=board=news;num=1102948792;start=0#12 date=01/27/05 at 08:17:04]LIZARDS,

What was the reference point BEFORE "sliced bread"??

JackL[/quote]

Grilled DO-DO birds ;D

Lizards
Old 01-27-05, 09:40 PM   #15

A word of advice, forget the brand name and pick the rod that works for you. I own Falcon, St Croix's, G-Loomis, and others. I own two St Croix Avid's, one I hate, and the other is my favorite rod for casting shallow divers. It all depends on the performance of the blank.

Find a local bait shop that will let you cast the rod before buying, you can save a ton this way. As for the AVID over the Premier, there is a marked difference in weight alone. Fish all day with the Premier, then fish all day with the avid, the difference will speak for itself.

St Croix can be a bit fussy about the life time warranty, if you break the rod, it is up to their discretion if they provide a replacement. G-Loomis will replace the rod for $50.00 regardless of you smashing it in the car door. The draw back is that you must mortgage the house to buy one.

For water ever it is worth - t
Old 01-28-05, 06:33 AM   #16
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

There is not a whole lot of difference in the avid and the premier series of rods offered by St. Croix. I have fished both and the difference is nonexistent. Other than the price, there is really no difference. I am a big St Croix fan, and have nothing bad to say about the rods. I have something bad to say about every rod maker out there except for St. Croix, lol. Every rod I have ever broken, they have replaced, everytime it was my fault. I have owned G-loomis(pieces of crap), shimano rods, falcon, castaway, all star, and on and on. If my next rod isn't a St. Croix it will be a Kistler helium. I used one the other day and good lord, that is one of the best rods I have ever used. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 12:13 PM   #17
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I'm a Helium guy...amen!!!
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 06:39 PM   #18
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

t, Theres something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear....Hey you got to Stop, children whats that sound,everybody look whats going down. ;D Battle lines being drawn ,nobody's right if everybodys wrong. ??? In reference to your[move]For what its worth . By Buffalo Springfield Â*;D P N J[/move]

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.