Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-07, 06:41 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Braided Line Question

I purchased some Stren braided line today to use on my Garcia 4601C4 casting reel. I've never used braided line before, but I am looking foreward to trying it out. My question is this. Can you use braided line on spinning reels? I was wondering if anyone here had tried that and how did it work out?

Last edited by keithdog; 03-24-07 at 06:52 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:51 PM   #2
zooker

i am NOT a fan of stren braid. been there done that not goin to do it again...braid will work on just about any reel. the thing ya have to get used to is the noise that it makes..
after a while of being used- 2-3 months or so- it will soften and make less noise..

i personally like calcutta ultra braid or ande braid-if ya can find it-.. the biggest mistake is folks belive that using braided line the knots last longer this is FALSE..the knots if fished in rocky, snaggy enviroments WILL break. on average i retie braid twice as much as mono..

zooker
Old 03-24-07, 06:53 PM   #3
keithdog

Are there any differrences in the types of knots one would use with braid compared to using mono?
Old 03-24-07, 07:19 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Keith-I use 30 lb Powerpro-diameter of 8 lb mono-on my shakey head rod and it handles pretty well on a spinning rod. I'd recommend a Palomar knot.
Old 03-24-07, 08:18 PM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i always use a palomar and crazy glue it.i suggest sufix braid.in 20 lb test on spinning.
Old 03-24-07, 08:45 PM   #6
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I had a question too, that I haven't seen asked about braid. Does braided line lose strength with use? I mean, after chain-sawing through my eyelets all last year (I lie, my eyelets have no noticeable wear), I was wondering if I had to replace it before fishing with it this year.
Old 03-24-07, 09:04 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Only need to change it if it is showing wear and tear on it. Or you could just pull it all off, onto another reel or spool, and then put it back on in reverse if you want new braid again. Polomar knot is what you should use, I'm with zooker, Stren is not "MY" choice of braid. But also as he said, the knots do go bad, so retie as needed. The nice part is that it's a lot more visible when looking for the wear than mono or flouro.

Lizards
Old 03-24-07, 10:37 PM   #8
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

my choice of braid is western filament Tuf-line XP cheap ($20) for 300 yds. and i love it to death, i have it on all my rods at the moment, both baitcasting and spinning, love it for spinning, much longer casts. i use the palomar know cause it doesnt slip, and when joining lines use the Uni to uni knot.
Old 03-24-07, 11:00 PM   #9
basskiller24/7
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up yes you can

Yeah buddy it is great line for using on a spinning rod.....casts smooth and make sure that the line is light i use 20lb braid and i love it hopefully i helped you out

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I purchased some Stren braided line today to use on my Garcia 4601C4 casting reel. I've never used braided line before, but I am looking foreward to trying it out. My question is this. Can you use braided line on spinning reels? I was wondering if anyone here had tried that and how did it work out?
basskiller24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:34 AM   #10
keithdog

Since I am unfamiliar with using braided lines, what is it about Stren braided line you don't like? I've seen others post favorable comments about it in here before.
Old 03-25-07, 10:38 AM   #11
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Keithdog, I use stren superbraid on all but one of my reels (spinning and casters). I love it, don't have any complaints. Your gonna get 50 diff opinions on line types on here. To each his own. Just find which type suits your likings and stick w/ it. I recommend polomar knot aswell.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:47 AM   #12
keithdog

I've used the polomar knot for many years now, so I'm glad that will work with the braided line too. Works for me. Now using a carolina rig, would it be advisable to use a mono or flourocarbon leader?
Old 03-25-07, 11:36 AM   #13
Rebbasser

I'd recommend it. I use a 17 lb Fluoro leader on a C-rig.
Old 03-25-07, 12:10 PM   #14
zooker

i am a old school guy on the "rig" mono up and down same test..

zooker
Old 03-26-07, 08:46 AM   #15
links_man2

Keith-I use Power Pro and like it, but to each his own. As far as braid on a spinning reel, it has made using a spinning rig bearable for me. Always had trouble with line twisting on spinning rigs, and braid solves that problem. I also use braid on some of my casting outfits mainly for worm/jib fishing in some heavy brush on my local lake.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 08:45 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Since I am unfamiliar with using braided lines, what is it about Stren braided line you don't like? I've seen others post favorable comments about it in here before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Keithdog, I use stren superbraid on all but one of my reels (spinning and casters). I love it, don't have any complaints. Your gonna get 50 diff opinions on line types on here. To each his own. Just find which type suits your likings and stick w/ it. I recommend polomar knot aswell.

Hef is correct. The reason I personally don't like it, was a castabilty issue for me. I bought it when it first came out, and had a terrible time getting any distance on casts. I have not used it since then, just keep sticking with what works for me time and time again, Powerpro If it aint broke, don't fix it. My guess is however that they(Stren) probably have gotten some of the first bugs that I experienced with it worked out.

Lizards
Old 04-08-07, 09:34 PM   #17
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Have to agree with Rebbasser.
Power Pro
40/10 on baitcaster
30/8 on spin
12 15 or 17 fluro for leader use seagar but just picked up some cajun red leader will try this week
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 10:58 PM   #18
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
my choice of braid is western filament Tuf-line XP cheap ($20) for 300 yds. and i love it to death, i have it on all my rods at the moment, both baitcasting and spinning, love it for spinning, much longer casts. i use the palomar know cause it doesnt slip, and when joining lines use the Uni to uni knot.
I, The Great FlyRod, endorse your post except for the Uni-Knot assertion, that is. I, too, use TUF and like it very much.
Of course, unbiased as I am, I modestly recommend the J-Knot (for those man enough to tame and tie it, that is )

TGFR

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-09-07 at 03:58 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:33 PM   #19
commanche

braid line will wear out your furles on your rod..why go thru that..

i would stay away from that stuff..stick with mono..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:37 PM   #20
JB

ya got a picture of a "furles" you could show us commanche
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:57 PM   #21
commanche

no, but i saw rod with damage done at bass school i went to 10 years ago..in fact,bass pro mark menedez asked if anyone was using braided line to stand up,only 2 out of 50 people at bass school used the stuff..

i hear its good in lily pads,it cuts thru pads when you hook a bass ..i dont like it because of wear it causes..
Old 04-19-07, 11:25 AM   #22
links_man2

I think the older braided line may have damaged some of the older guides, but times have changed and so has braid/guides. I use Power Pro, along with many other people and have seen no damage. You do need to put some mono under the braid on baitcasting reels or the braid will slip on the spool making you think the drag isn't holding. You don't need much mono, just cover the spool with a few layers.
Old 04-21-07, 10:51 AM   #23
links_man2

commanche - You might want to check back at the school and with other pro's. Based on this:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/ba...BMM0704_Public ,

it states: "Remarkably, only three anglers among those finishing first and second place during the 14 Elite and Major events used mono exclusively. Beyond that, line usage was fairly equal between fluorocarbon and braided superline."

Also found the following on the Power Pro web site:

"Older, first-generation superlines were made of abrasive aramids that could cut rod guides and take a toll on equipment. PowerPro solves these problems through super slick, non-abrasive Spectra Fiber composition and unique EBT processing. Other complaints about superlines arose simply because the technology was so new, and few people knew how to take proper advantage of it. The Using PowerPro quick guide takes the mystery out of using a superline and guarantees a satisfying fishing experience from the first cast!"
Old 04-21-07, 01:17 PM   #24
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
KeithPuppy,

There's one other aspect of braid you need to consider. That is:
Braid, though smaller in diameter, test for test, than mono/fluoro, is a "windcatcher". It really sails, and, especially in a crossing breeze (relative the the direction of your cast, ) will tend to bow and even drag your offering off target. Worse yet, a well-placed cast can turn disastrous when the line is blown into brush or some other hazard.
If you, like many, myself included, use your spinning gear to cast lighter goodies, this can be a genuine PITA. On the other hand, if casting weightier bass treats, the problem is minimal save for during truly breezy periods.
So, if you ARE using the spin rig for light stuff, be aware and be wary.
For all that, one can still realize considerable benefit from use of braid, given the enhanced sensitivity thereof. Also, by using the lightest (smallest diameter) braid consistent with the job at hand, you can minimize the wind's effects to some degree. If tossing a 4" worm with a 1/16-1/8 weight, doing so on #15 or #20 braid, with a #10 or #12 fluoro leader (See: The Dreaded J-Knot... ), instead of heavier test braid, the problem of drag n' drift is at least a little reduced.
Note, too, that fluoro sinks readily while mono does not. This means that more of your line will submerge more quickly. That's good since the submerged portion of your line is not "hangin' out in the wind." So, your leader should be of pure fluoro. I use the P-Line FluoroCarbon Leader material. It's sold in 25 meter spools, is pricey, but it seems the right choice.
Good luck!

FlyRod.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 08:01 PM   #25
commanche

Default braid

type of fishing we have here in pa. i see no use for braid line..thick weeds like some of you folks have,i guess it could be better..

i have no experience fishing real heavy weeds, our cover is mostly open with some weeds in july..

i just cant find any use for it here..as for feel, i can feel every bite i get or see line jump..as far as i am aware of anyhow..

i stick with trilene xl/xt..its hard to change me as it works fine..i cant remember ,long time ,that i have had trilene break on me..

you wont believe this but my line is 6 years old on spools in basement and i am still using it..

i keep it cool and spray it 2 times a year with SILICONE SPRAY..

i also use a plug knocker all time..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.