Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-04, 11:54 AM   #1
crankbait23
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to crankbait23
Default lizards help

i am now hooked on lizards i want to try some thign different but they seem to be the only thing tat is working for me so any way. what is the best colored lizard for a murky pond and ,my lizards tails keep coming off how can i prevent this
crankbait23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:59 AM   #2
Ben_Dover
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ben_Dover
Default Re: lizards help

U need to watch for the action in the water around u if nothing is happening then it is more than likes going to be a slow bite but if the bait is every where and u can see it busting then I bet it is a good bet that they will hit a crank or a spinnerbait. But remember both spinners and lizards can be fished the same way. But also true a lizard will work in both scenarios. Just get u another rod and have a spinner on one and a Texas rigged something on the other.
Ben_Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:01 PM   #3
driftingsmokey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to driftingsmokey

my personal favorite color for murky ponds is either a deep blue or a brown with green tail.
as far as the tails are concenred, im not sure. it may just be that its bad plastic or it wasnt molded all that great.

p.s. i fish a near pond quite a bit and its very murky. if your doing shore fishing throw a lizard on a t-rig and toss it out as far as u can. iv caught at least 20 bass while the lizard was still dropping down.
driftingsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:04 PM   #4
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Cilem,

I think Lizards the man himself would tell you to go with a darker color in murky water. I've had the pleasure of fishing with him and I know he prefers black. Here in Indiana it's hard to find water that is anything but stained to murky. As for the tails falling off I don't know what to tell you. My first instinct is that the blue gill and pan fish are yanking them off. They like to do that. That's my two cents, I'm sure Lizards will throw in his million bucks!
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:06 PM   #5
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

D-H-F hit the colors on the nose you might also try black, and green punkin depending on how stained the water is. As far as the tails are you losing them to bream? Ive tore up alot of lizards setting the hook while a blugill had the tail in it's mouth >
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:09 PM   #6
Ben_Dover
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ben_Dover

Good colors pumpkinseed,Greenpumpkin,Kudzu ,watermelonseed,black&blue,and anyone of these with chartreuse, about anything on the dark side.
Ben_Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:17 PM   #7
driftingsmokey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to driftingsmokey

IL- i told him im not sure. just takin a guess. the only time i kept loosing tails on lizards is from pike
driftingsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:22 PM   #8
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

D-H-F you did good. You will be trying to snatch the pebble from Rebs hand in no time ;D
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:40 PM   #9
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

hmm..

I've read that best colors in murky water are the brighter, less natural colors, like biright green/white or blue/yellow,or red.. etc.

And, in clearer water, Bass can judge better, and you have to use the more natural colors, like, dark brown,
black/red, black/blue,and other darker, natural colors..

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:57 PM   #10
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

go with anything black in it
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:18 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Sounds like the bluegill are getting the tails of your lizards. they tend to grab the tail and run often tearing the tails off.

For murky/muddy water I've had the best luck with a pumpkin or green pumpkin with a chartreuse tail.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:14 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=seaphantom link=board=news;num=1091631248;start=0#8 date=08/04/04 at 11:40:32]hmm..

I've read that best colors in murky water are the brighter, less natural colors, like biright green/white or blue/yellow,or red.. etc.

And, in clearer water, Bass can judge better, and you have to use the more natural colors, like, dark brown,
black/red, black/blue,and other darker, natural colors..

seaphantom[/quote]

From my experience you have it backwards, but if it's working for you keep doing it.

As for the colors, already been thrown out that I LOVE all black, and my second choice is green pumpkin. As for the tails coming off, if it's fish biting them off it isn't bass, it could be bluegill, which still to this day amaze me at what they will hit or other fish depending on your location. I will say that I had a couple of packages where the tails were different colors then the main body, and they were put together after they each had been poured, and they do fall apart. I will not ever again buy any plastic that isn't poured as 1 piece period. For all of those who haven't tried a solid black lizard(Zoom 6" preferably) you really don't know what your missing. Yes I catch many bass in Indiana on them, but also in FL, Conn., IL(ask IL even catfish occasionally), MI. I really haven't ever gone out west to use them. Also a white Lizard sometimes is a great one to use, however I can't find them locally anywhere. I like Senkosam's explanation the best, and that is fish see in Hues or contrasts, not actual color. So it is the shade or variation that really is what makes the difference. If the bite is really tough, definitely go weightless and let it fall(dead sticking). Now as for other baits, every time I go out I have the following tied on to 1 of my poles.

1. PNJ
2. Spinnerbait
3. Crankbait(even though I'm not very good yet with them)
4. Buzzbait
5. Fin-S (fluke)
6. T-Rigged weightless 2/0 or 3/0 offset Plastic(MY Most used)
7. T-rigged bullet weight pegged 2/0 or 3/0 plastic
8. Depends on where and when I'm going, many times a backup weightless T-rig or a C-rig
9. back-up(usually a Jitterbug tied on)
10. backup

I catch fish on all of the above, plus a lot more. Yes I love lizards, and IMO they are a must for every Bass fisherman, but they aren't ALWAYS the best bait.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-04, 12:50 AM   #13
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

some people dont like live bait but my kids like to chase lizards and any frogs they can find so once in a while ive tried throwing them with great success. nothing can imaitate better than the real thing. i wanna invent a little life jacket for lizards though. ;D ;D
yeah just tread water for me a lil longer bud.... whaamo
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-04, 01:01 AM   #14
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Been using motor oil w/ green tail and dark red w/ gold flake. Water is not that bad here.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 09:34 PM   #15
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

dont buy cheap lizards get some strike king 3x,i bought these when they first came out. i still have the first pack of lizards these will last almost forever. also make sure u get the one with most in apack
Old 09-18-05, 01:43 PM   #16
Unregistered

Default lizard tails

if the tails are coming off to little blue gill,than i would segest probally using a strike king 3x lizard. thier tails are extremely tough and are good baits all the way around.
Old 09-18-05, 09:10 PM   #17
thomas32140
BassFishin.Com Member

i personally think that the best time to use a lizard is during the spring spring = spawning season lizards eat the bass's eggs so they mortally hate them

you should really try the watermelon zellamander
thomas32140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 09:56 PM   #18
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would try watermelon red, black with blue tail, and black/neon with a chartreuse tail.
Old 09-18-05, 10:21 PM   #19
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yum has some good ones too the yum zellamander,the tails dont come off as easily as the zoom one and the yums already have scent on them and it wont was off(so do the strike king

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.