Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-05, 04:49 PM   #1
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie
Default Trying it out

I'm goin to the pond now with my new ultra light rod. I'll tell ya how i did.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 06:10 PM   #2
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Trying it out

I caught one. It was 2lbs. The rod is fine. The only problem is that there is alot of moss on the edge of the pond and when i hook a bass it get caught in it and it weights like 10 pound. But i got around it this time. I had to pull the line with my hand and then grab it by the lip. I hate grabbing it by the lip when there is a trebble hook in it(i was using a jointed crankbait). The hook always gets me. What ever i guess if i want to fish with the UL then i have to do that.
Old 05-17-05, 07:26 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

So in other words you just proved that it's not a good rod for BASS fishing. If you have to pull it in by hand why even use it. Think about what you say before you say it. Why buy a rod that you can't bring a fish to the shore with? I mean come on, how much sense does that make. Bass are cover and structure oriented, so think about trying to use that rod in some brush with weeds around them. Might as well just jump in with your knife between your teeth and try to stab one. You'll end up killing more bass by getting them tangled up, then you will ever catch.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 08:07 PM   #4
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

Liz,
the rod was a b-day present from his parents i believe, he is going to buy a med or med hvy rod though.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:41 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=PowerBass link=board=MessBoards;num=1116359360;start=0#3 date=05/17/05 at 19:07:48]Liz,
the rod was a b-day present from his parents i believe, he is going to buy a med or med hvy rod though.[/quote]

Perhaps I was a little overzealous, but the fact remains it is a very POOR CHOICE for Bass Fishing. As I stated, he very well may kill more bass than catch with that setup. He will break off lots of hooks on them, and has no ability to get the fish to the boat quickly, if he can get them to the boat, and not twisted up in moss or snot moss. Which means wearing out the Bass, possibly causing further injury. I do understand playing the fish, but the longer it takes the greater chance of that bass not surviving. Those are the facts.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 06:23 PM   #6
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

It was a birthday presant. I dont know what to do... i guess i have to go buy a med hev if i want to do some real fishing. :-/
Old 05-18-05, 07:38 PM   #7
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

its all about your style of fishing, mostly i use heavy gear, but i will ocassionally break out the ultra light tackle and have a nice fight with some nice fish. My dad is a serious UL fisherman.It is all he uses! He caught a 10 lb brown trout on it and it took him 35-40 minutes to land it! talk about a nice fightin fish, last summer he caught a nice 4lber on an UL using a small topwater plug. I grew up using ultra light and just recently started using heavier equipment. So go out and enjoy the fight once and a while.

*steps down from soap box*
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 08:17 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

a UL can be used all the time, or sometimes. if you want to do serious bassin, get a medium heavy rod and good reel, and use that most of the time. but now and then, you can break out the UL and have some serious fun with it. just use it when you feel like a good time to use it would be, and only use it on occasions. no need to go and take it back, just have it as a spare rod/reel.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.