Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-05, 12:17 AM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default pinnacle wiffle spool question.

on the new pinnacle reels they have a wiffle spool-has holes drilled into the spool-i have heard that they whistle during the cast.actually he said it was"very annoying whistle- is this normal or does his reel need a lube job.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 12:27 AM   #2
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33
Default Re: pinnacle wiffle spool question.

Zooker I don't have a Pinacle but have the wiffle spools on other reels. I don't know how they can whistle when the line on the spool wont let air cross the holes. I think the guy was pullin your leg or he's got worse problems than he thinks
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 12:46 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm with IL. My Extremes all have a whiffle spool and I've never heard it whistle. Guess I'm ggoing to have to listen more carefully ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 09:33 AM   #4
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

I'm with Ilbassin on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs a lube job. I just bought a Tetra reel and it doesn't spin as nice as my Janis reels.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 10:15 AM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Zooker, that whistle is a dry bearing.Tell him he had better get a drop of Quantum hot sauce on those bearings and throw that rocket fuel oil in the garbage. ;D The wiffle spool doesn't make any noise.All that does is lighten the reel weight and takes weight=spool rpm energy away from the spool on a cast.Solid spools are heavier so they keep the momentum turning easier.Actually I don't have no proof of the last statement, only something I beleive is right, but I do know a dry bearing will whistle or squeal like heck on a cast. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 10:22 AM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Strap, the problem might be your bearings are full of oil, as to why your tetra doesn't cast well. I have the tetras and think they are a super buy for the money. Cast it for about a half hoours worth and see that it starts casting longer distances for you.Its real easy to overlube a bearing, its just a temporary problem. P N J
Old 04-05-05, 07:49 PM   #7
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

PNJ,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I haven't got a chance yet to go out and use my new Tetra. It just wasn't free spinning without line on it as well as my Janis reels. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and get some use out of it. Hopefully I can hook up with Lizards. Once I get a chance to use it I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks Again,

Strap
Old 04-05-05, 08:07 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Strap, Good luck, I really like the tetra reel but it is easier to engage the reel by using the flipping switch. I don't know why. P N J
Old 04-05-05, 08:15 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Mine only whisltes while I'm working I have no idea why someone says that, but mine sure doesn't whistle.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 08:24 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;D
Old 04-05-05, 08:31 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Strap, I've found that reels out of the box often do not cast as well as they can. Try pulling the bearings off the spool and clean them by soaking them in something like lighter fluid to get the oil/grease out of them. Take them out and let them dry, reinstall then and then add a drop of oil on them-I prefer Hot Sauce. To see what a difference it makes, when you take the bearing out of the reel put it on the point of a pencil and spin it. Repeat that after removing from the lighter fluid and you can see for yourself.
Old 04-08-05, 07:23 PM   #12
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Reb,

I just bought some Hot Sauce, both the grease and oil. I thought about pulling the bearings out but once I got to looking at it I thought better of it. I have a tendancy to mess things up the first time I try them. Didn't want to ruin a $100.00 reel without using it first. The Pinnacles have a little C clip holding the bearings in on the side where the magnetic brake is. What's the best way to remove that clip without tearing it up? Also what's the best way to remove the opposite bearing by the cast control knob? Finally do you guys just clean the bearings that the spool shaft rides on or do you pull out all of the bearings and clean them up on a brand new reel? I understand you need to clean and re-oil all of the bearings after some good use. Here's a link to the Tetra parts diagram if your not familiar with Pinnacle reels.
http://silstar.com/down/Tetra%20HS%20Casting.pdf
Old 04-08-05, 08:55 PM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Strap, I would just put a drop of hot sauce on each bearing, that you can see and use it a while unless there is a peice of debri in the bearing. You will know because it won't be smooth. The Hot sauce is one messy bottle.It will leak all over the outside of the container.It is quite thin so it will overload your bearing with just one drop. It will flush the bearing as the spool spins the bearings.I hope this helps, P N J
Old 04-08-05, 11:20 PM   #14
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

PNJ,

Thanks for the advice. Going to use the Tetra for the first time tomorrow. I know what you mean by it's easier to engage the spool with the flippin switch. I have two Janis reels and they're the same way.

Strap

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.