Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-05, 05:46 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default flipping question

Was wondering how important feel is when you flip. I have a Lightning rod 7ft med heavy and an old bantamn mag plus reel I was going to use for now as a flipping setup. Would that be a good setup or do you need something more sensative to detect bites. I haven't tried flipping yet and don't know if the bite is hardly felt or other wise.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 06:16 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: flipping question

The lightning rods work just fine for flipping. Use braid if you're flipping though, hauls bass out of heavy stuff, and it has a lot more sensitivity.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 08:35 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

BassinBob,You can flip with whats available. I have never told anyone this and you will only see it posted once, but in my experience with flipping, The softer tip rod will put more fish in the boat than a heavy tipped stick will.I finally think that braided line is the way to go when flipping.You can watch the line easier which is very important and it will cut through weeds better.I use 30 lb test Tuf line but any braid brand seems to have good praise. The reason I use Tuf -Line is it is a flat braid which strips off the spool easy but lazily so your line stops when the spool stops.The second reason is when a fish applies pressure the line will squeakon the guides helping you detect a runaway bite on the throw down.Watch your line as it comes off the spool, and as it is entering the water.If it suddenly jerks at the spool and then smooths back out ,the fish inhaled your jig. engage and set the hook . 98% of the bites your line going in the water will swim off in another direction, again engage the reel and set the hook.Good things happen to those who can give the jig a fair chance of catching fish. Eventually you will notice a series of where the fish are holding and can use the jig more effectively. I hope this post helps you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 09:00 PM   #4
wylie_cope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wylie_cope

Just watch your line really closely esp. on the initial fall, any jumps, ticks, or movement that seems out of the ordinary, set the hook... its free. Also if your hold the line with your finger you can sometimes feel the pick up... Im personally a line watcher...
Whip
wylie_cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 10:19 PM   #5
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I agree with whip totally on this one. Use a line that you can see really well,any movement in the line when the bait is falling "set the hook hard". I use 20 pound trilene xl in clear/blue so i can see it well.I have 2 flippin sticks,one heavy and the other extra heavy.I do way more pitchin than flippin due to the fact that i don't fish from a boat alot.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.