Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-05, 10:31 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Brand Names VS Location

Ok I admit the title was a little weird. But there's something I've been thinking about for awhile, and to me it's all about marketing. Most of us have our favorite brands of lures/rods/reels/boats/etc... My belief is that a lot of that has to do with, what is AVAILABLE in your immediate area. Let me explain. I like Buzzking dual prop buzzbaits. The reason is that they are the only ones availble locally so, hence it's all I have to choose from here. Now the internet, and folks who are close to BPS, or Cablea's have tons more to choose from, and decide what they like the best. Another example, is AllStar rods. None of the bigger folks I've seen around here carry them. So I have no opinion on them, but several sell ST Croix, and of course that's my favorite rod at this point. Why, perhaps because it's the best, or perhaps it's because that's the best rod I've ever been able to use, since I really like to buy rod and reels, locally due to any problems that I might have. Anyway, just wanted to know what you folks thoughts were on this issue. mtbassman77's post reminded me of it, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I do have my preferences, but it doesn't mean what I like or my opinion is better than anyone elses, it just what I have availble to me.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 10:57 AM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: Brand Names VS Location

I think location has alot to do with it. Some people do not want to purchase onthe onternet due to security concerns, and some because of shipping.While there are a few companies that make aweful baits, the majority of them will catch fish. Use what is available to you and just fish.

jmo

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 11:39 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards, I think you have a valid point. Even with the internet we tend to use what is available in our area, because it is easily obtained.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 01:13 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

very good point lizards i tend to agree on most of that.even with bps an hour away i still rather go 7.24 miles to a local tackle shop. basicly the only thing i buy at bps is ande line.since my local place don't carry it. but i have to admit this is a very well stocked store compaired to other tackle stores in the area. also a big factor in the choice of tackle- rods and reels- is past experince with a certain kind.where i grew up-western ny-the reels of choice were spinning and/or fly reels and rods for that matter.i can state this with complete knowlage of fact that in that area of wny, i know of only 5 people who actually know how to use a baitcaster. more have them, they have no clue as how to cast one.

dang maybe i should go up there and give casting lessons-20 bucks a pop-what you think pnj?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 01:28 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

One thing about this is that fishermen traditionally use what their friends use, they learn techniques in their clubs that are for local lakes and this tends to create localized styles. For instance on Guntersville, rats are popular even though there are other ways of getting fish out of the mats. I would cite North Carolina and crankbaits as another example, or California and monster plugs, Florida and plastic worms, Japan and drop-shot rigs. Now eventually these all get spread out via TV and especially the internet. What the internet is doing is it is bringing many people from all these localities together and in the process local variations are being spread nationwide.

I would also say in regards to allstar rods vs st. croix that neither of these companies are large enough to go on an all out marketing blitz nationwide, so they pick their spots. St. Croix for instance may decide they will get the best bang for their buck targeting the midwest, while allstar is gonna focus on texas. That is pure marketing. Heck, I have a class in this stuff and its called market segmentation. In this case they find that the market is most easily broken up into segments geographically.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 04:49 PM   #6
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

I like the location aspect myself and I think a lot of it has to do with me being able to go in and pick up the item, see how it feels in my hand, shake it or whatever. Then, if it is easier to order that same item on the internet the next time I need it, I have that option.
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 05:17 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

This only really applies to me for one lure, cuprit worms. I like them the most because I can get them whenever I want to, but I do know that there are other brands just as good. I'll go out of my way to get everything else, especially gamakatsu hooks.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 05:43 PM   #8
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

As for rods i will only buy ugly stiks or fenwicks from now on, and plus every place has one of these brands around here
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 12:27 AM   #9
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

I'm pretty lucky to live where I do because the outdoors and all things related are big business here in Memphis, I have a Bass Pro Shop 7 min. from my house. Before BPS came to town we had and still have a store called Buck And Bass which is almost as good as BPS. All Of the Mom and Pop tackle stores around town always have carried the worst equipment like Zebco, Southbend, and Shakespeare and they are way over priced, but where the Mom and Pop tackle shops lack in quality equipment they make up for in live bait. Â*I rarely use live bait but its good to have such a wide variety if I feel the need to do some catfishing.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 12:29 AM   #10
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Lizards, I have been looking for those double bladed buzz baits. You mentioned buzzking. Is there a site for them or web address you could send me. Or do you know of any other manufactuers who make them.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:41 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=MessBoards;num=1108387874;start=0#9 date=02/14/05 at 22:29:02]Lizards, I have been looking for those double bladed buzz baits. You mentioned buzzking. Is there a site for them or web address you could send me. Or do you know of any other manufactuers who make them.

Bob[/quote]

No I don't( when I tried www._______, what came up was definately not fishing stuff) I've only found them at what used to be Galyan's, now is Dick's. I actually haven't even found any in their stores for a couple of months. I was probably going to order some Leverage Dual Bladed buzz baits. If you go to BPS.com they sell them, or send a PM to socal_bassin, he is on the prostaff for a company that sells them. I really like the dual props myself. Just not a ton to choose from.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:55 AM   #12
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

We are definitely products of our environment. I live 20 minutes from Lizards and face the same circumstances that he does. A lot of places around here don't carry All Star and Falcon rods for example. These are both products that I'd like to try but until I can get my hands on them and feel the balance and weight I won't buy one. We do have one local tackle shop that carries some of these things but they are limited to what they can carry because of the size of their store. I did find Lakeguide's Paca Craw's in there to my suprise. Unfortunately they stopped carrying the Salt Licks. I'd rather order them from Larry anyways but is always nice to have them close if you get in a pinch.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 12:15 PM   #13
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I guess we're lucky around here. We've not only got the big mail order places everyone has, but we have a Gander Mountain store here in Fredricksburg, and Greentops a local version of Bass Pro Shops about an hour away. We're about halfway between the Bass Pro Shops stores in Hampton, Va, and Baltimore, Md. Both of them are a three hour drive or so to go to, but if you look at them as a day adventure it's not a bad trip. And we got a dozen or so Wally Worlds around for the "routine" stuff.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 07:05 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

they sell those dual blade spinners at bps. im pretty lucky to cause i live only about 30-45 minutes(depending on traffic) from a bps
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:48 PM   #15
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Liz, I'm sure you're right to an extent. There are countless brands in every lure category, and some of us don't own them all, so we have to decide what to buy. It might be local availability, or what our mentors recommend, or maybe just what visually appeals to us.

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=MessBoards;num=1108387874;start=0#9 date=02/14/05 at 22:29:02]Lizards, I have been looking for those double bladed buzz baits. You mentioned buzzking. Is there a site for them or web address you could send me. Or do you know of any other manufactuers who make them.

Bob[/quote]
Bob, Hart makes them. http://www.harttackle.com/classics.html

mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 11:26 PM   #16
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Bob[/quote]

I know a store where I can get some double-bladed buzzbaits for real cheap. Only $30 when most run $50+. Just send $35 down here to cover shipping and handling, and I'll send you one. ;D ;D ;D ;D : : : :
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 05:18 PM   #17
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Hulapopr, Do you take checks, cause i want 2 black ones in every size.......

Bob

p.s. thanks for the info Marty
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 04:05 PM   #18
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Zook, I think that they would want more that 20 bucks to watch you cast a bait.
I know that you didn't mean that they would pay 20 dollars to learn from you.
Personally, I would have to charge you at least 30$ !
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 10:47 PM   #19
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

but grass hopper i have seen your cast even you need to work on it...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.