Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-05, 12:21 AM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Kaolin Mines

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Kaolin mines down south. But they are doug out in the same familiar way a coal pit is dug. Could bass live in this body of water still hold bass>
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 12:52 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Kaolin Mines

Trav, if they are like a strip pit coal mine I've caught a number out of some in southeast Kansas, but lizards is the resident expert. I would imagine they would hold bass.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 12:56 AM   #3
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I remember up here in Western Pa. a long time ago my dad and I fished some of the strips as we called them. We caught a few small bluegills. But I recall a couple of guys who were using plugs and they were catching bass. That was back in the 50's. I wish I could remember where they were because I bet they are still a great place to go.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 01:42 AM   #4
bassguy2004

We have several places like that where they would remove gravel from an area where the river had been. We call them "the gravel pits". The company has to reclaim the area. By stocking it with fish, that fills the bill. Some mighty large fish come out of those pits and they have been there for some time.
Old 02-20-05, 08:54 AM   #5
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Lizards is the resident expert on strip pits here in Indiana but from what I've heard most of them here are good fishing.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 01:44 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Gravel Pits are usually very clear, and less vegetation than a dirt type pit. Coal pit, is what I actually fish, but have fish all different type(Limestome pits also). Most pits are usually pretty deep so the do hold some bigger fish. The State record for Indiana was claimed from a what I believe to be a small "MINING PIT" which is a general term I use for any type of pit. I've been told that a gentleman caught 3 bass one morning over 8lbs, the owner has caught a 9lb+ bass out of the pit, and while fishing, I talked to a guy who said he had caught a 10lber right off one of the flats that I fish in about 15' of water on a deep diving crank. Point is YES there are some monster Bass in the pits. I've seen some that I estimate 7-8lbs. And creekgeek said in one of the smaller ponds(maybe 5 acres) he saw a 8lber. I haven't landed any of these Hawgs yet, but anything 7lbs or bigger is definately a trophy in Indiana. Mining pits of anykind will hold good fish. I will also say that the longer it's been left, the more cover will be ther. The coal pit I fish has hundreds of laydowns, along the shoreline, that drop off quickly to depths of 25'-35'. Most anyone will tell you the big bass need access to deep water, well they usually have it in the PITS. The one I fish, has been left un-mined for over 50+ years. It's without a doubt the best bass fishing I've found in the State to date. Oh yeah there are some grass carp that are over 20lbs in it, and cats over 25lbs, 18" crappie all pulled from the coal pit also. Luckily the coal pit usually has tons of vegetation in it.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.