Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-05, 07:54 PM   #1
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Going to have bad dreams about that one

If ever there was a perfect day to fish in South Texas, this was it. Headed out at 6AM, driving slow due to dense fog warnings. On the water by 7:30, so foggy we had to use the GPS to get where we wanted to fish. Air temp 65, water temp ranged from 61-64, NO WIND (VERY rare for here) Pulled up to a spot that had stickups surrounded by hydrilla edged by cattails. Tied on a baby bass/pearl swirl Bamboo Stick and made a few casts. On one, it hit the water, I twitched it once, and an absolute hawg grabbed it-she rolled on the surface and she was approaching double digits if she wasn't already there-we are talking a real toad here. Then, she buried in the hydrilla in about 4 feet of water. Before I had a chance to even move towards her, SNAP! She broke off. I almost sat down and cried. Instead, I said a few choice things that surprised my buddy because I rarely use such glowing terms if you know what I mean ;D. I did manage to get a couple in the boat including a 3 pounder, but I learned-or rather relearned-a painful lesson: In heavy cover like that, USE POWERPRO!

We did find a few on the beds, but the were not interested in anything we were offering. Regardless, it was a great day to be on the water, but I know I'm going to have bad dreams about, all together now, "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!!!! ;D"
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 07:58 PM   #2
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician
Default Re: Going to have bad dreams about that one

Man I feel for you! But now you know where she lives, you'll get her next time!
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 07:59 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

My theory exactly!
Old 02-21-05, 09:11 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

been there done that, it happens to even the best.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:48 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Quote:
I almost sat down and cried. Instead, I said a few choice things that surprised my buddy because I rarely use such glowing terms if you know what I mean
Funny how losing a big one can change a person's ways. In my case, it wouldn't have changed me, because I'm ALWAYS using "glowing terms", as you put it. :

But sorry you lost it, hope you get it next time.

Good luck.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 10:03 PM   #6
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Sorry to hear about that reb. It's early in the year yet and you should have more opportunities to top that one.I wish I could count the big ones that have gotten away from me, it sucks everytime! Just keep pluggin!
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 11:28 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Rebb, that almost sounds like a play by play of the largest fish I ever lost....I've already hashed out the story many times here before, if thats any indication of whether or not the pain gets any better....
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 11:43 PM   #8
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Have caught and lost a lot of big fish. Worst for me, 1st tourney I ever did, wasnt having a great day then caught a couple small ones. Well I guess that turned the bite on, we proceeded to catch four more fish weighing 3-4 a piece. Then I threw out a motor oil w/ firetail 8" worm and before I even started to reel I was hit. She came to the surface and I got her in shallow water. Brought her to the boat and my partner grabbed her. Instead of bringing her to the livewell he wanted to see how much she weighed. Well she didnt like that and over she went. Side note: partner almost went after her.....with help! 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 02:00 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Reb, that will just keep you going back for a long time. I must admit, having too many bigger fish break my line is why I switched to fireline. I love fishing heavy cover, and mono just doesn't cut the mustard. Anyway catch her next time.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 02:08 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, what makes it worse is I have the exact same setup in the rod box spooled with braid. I just wasn't using it.
Old 02-22-05, 02:11 PM   #11
tbuck
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tbuck

Reb,
I feel for you buddy.. I made a custom crankbait from a silver/black Norman middle-n that used to slay the bass where I used to live in PA. Twice, Twice, once daytime and once at night, threw that crankbait and maybe turned the handle three times and thud and then she's coming off the shore line into deep water and into structure before I could even turn her... I think about this every time I see that crank in my box.. but, what the whoooo, it's what keeps us going back right? And one guy said, you sure it's not a turtle? And I said, sure it was, turtles don't swim that fast and head for cover usually.

;D Mike
tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.