Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-05, 02:59 AM   #1
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Spring Break Fishing/Camping Trip

As I alluded to in the post about the big O, I have made the decision that I am going to fish florida this spring break no matter what my finances are. It has occured to me that this probably means I will have to camp out of my ford explorer for the course of about 8 nights, in florida with the mosquitos and snakes, alligators and free roaming brahma bulls.

It has also occured to me that this may be a dumber idea than my quail hunt (even though I survived), but knowing how the rest of you guys are idiots for fishing like me has anybody ever tried something like this before? Any disaster or success stories?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 06:41 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Spring Break Fishing/Camping Trip

just bring a tent,check to make sure u dont camp on private land(unless permitted) and set up a tent on the ground. u shouldnt have any problems just bring mosqiuto repellent and a knife or 2. ive camped out in the middle of nowwhere plenty of times here in florida. i think ull be fine. theres got to be plenty of areas around the lake where u can just set up a ternt right by the lake. and the gators shoudnt mess with u unless u mess with them have fun down there it should be great.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 08:20 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well I really don't do much camping since the Army I would suggest a 5gal bucket and some trash bags. I would just sleep in the explorer myself, no point in getting down on the ground with the critters. I know not much help, but when I get down there, if you haven't been yet, perhaps I can get some more info for ya.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 08:35 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well there are a couple guys I know down there I'm gonna call and ask, you know specifics about where I could camp that is open to the public. I've been down there several times before with my Dad, but he can't make it this time and money has been tight so I figure I'm gonna make some lemonade with them lemons.

The trash bag and mosquito spray things are just the type of things I would forget. I'm thinking about making a trial run at the local reservoir just to figure out what I may be missing. What I'm worried about is just the unforeseen. For instance I was thinking the other day and I realized that I'm going to need a way to charge the battery.

Lizards, I think you are gonna be coming back from your trip at about the same time I will be leaving. I plan on entering the state of Florida on March 25th.
Old 02-17-05, 08:57 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=WTL link=board=MessBoards;num=1108619983;start=0#3 date=02/17/05 at 18:35:09]Well there are a couple guys I know down there I'm gonna call and ask, you know specifics about where I could camp that is open to the public. I've been down there several times before with my Dad, but he can't make it this time and money has been tight so I figure I'm gonna make some lemonade with them lemons.

The trash bag and mosquito spray things are just the type of things I would forget. I'm thinking about making a trial run at the local reservoir just to figure out what I may be missing. What I'm worried about is just the unforeseen. For instance I was thinking the other day and I realized that I'm going to need a way to charge the battery.

Lizards, I think you are gonna be coming back from your trip at about the same time I will be leaving. I plan on entering the state of Florida on March 25th. [/quote]

Campgrounds usually will have some electrical outlets somewhere. I will actually be going down after you, I will be driving down 4/21, and returning 4/25-4/26. Definately take extra batteries for flash lights. Make sure you have a valid license, and if you have it, or can borrow/buy one, a casting net to catch your own shiners could save you a ton of $$$$$ I would actually just get on line to FL DNR or Camp Grounds of America, and see where they have campgrounds close to the lakes you want to fish. By the way don't forget all the drainage ponds everywhere, they can be good fishing also. Please make sure if you are doing this by yourself to have a plan or map out what you plan on doing, and leave it with someone JUSTIN CASE(that's for you PNJ). Also make sure you have a couple of lighters, for fires or actually I've found some Incense will help a lot with the bugs, I light one and put it on the boat close by. If you have an outboard, make sure you get fuel oil mix. Plenty of other stuff, just what has hit me right now.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 11:19 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Man Lizards, you don't miss a trick. ;D Good luck to you guys, have a safe trip and a great time.Lizards ,I wasn't aware that you were in the army. I was Army airborne.
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 11:38 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

a really good repellant for mosqiutos is those therma cell auto matic repellants that they sell. i have one and works like a charm. dont forget to fish the canals around lake ''o'' also.
Old 02-21-05, 09:59 AM   #8
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

WTL,

I am the Queen of Financial Trouble, haha, I say go for it!! I would keep a notebook in my back pocket and as you think of things that you might take with you, write it down. I would search online for the right spot and just be prepared as much as possible. If you have a spare credit card take it with you. If you can make an extra payment on one, i would do that as much as possible before you go. Skip Mcdonalds and such eat a sandwich and add the extra dollars to your money that you take with you. Keep your cash in more than one place, in case you lose your wallet or get ur vehicle broken into. If you are planning on going by yourself, before you decide that look around for someone to go and share the expenses.

I do have on disaster story. When we took a trip to Port Aransas, my bank card didnt work a couple of times. We called my bank and sure enough our checks were in the bank and it ended up being some kind of telephone trouble. We had credit cards to save our butts and the last day we were there just for kicks, we went to the bank in Port A to withdraw money and sure enough, we withdrew our cash. It was crazy, but w/o our credit cards we would have been stuck.
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 11:56 PM   #9
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Lots of repellant. When you figure out where in this state you are going give a holler. Oh yeah that comment about canals and drainage ponds is great advice. Be careful though it's mating season and the gators are aggresive. Ive caught some big fish off the turnpike in canals. Have fun! 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 01:40 AM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everybody for the advice, it really is a help.

Right now the plan is to first stop at a river that has suwanee bass and catch #6 on my list, I'm considering the Suwanee in Live Oak, the Wacissa, Wakulla or Santa Fe rivers - but I only plan to spend a day at most going after Suwanees. My real goal is a 10 pound bass, and I'm heading to lake Kissimmee. Its really just a matter of finding a place on the lake or nearby C 37 canal that I can camp now.
Old 02-22-05, 10:44 AM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

the sawwannee is a great river to fish. caught my first bass there. i thought u were going to lake okeechobee i might have read wrong. anyways have fun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.