Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-05, 04:40 PM   #26
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Newsweek S*X

Well nearly everone in some position of power knew in 1944 that the Soviets were going to be trouble. Winston Churchill even proposed at one point not landing in france but in greece and coming up through the balkans behind Berlin, mostly because it offered the best chance of protecting most of Europe from the Russians. Of course that was never really gonna happen, it was a pipe dream, but the Russians were at best allies only in that they were the number #2 enemy state on our list wheras Nazi Germany was #1.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 05:11 PM   #27
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default WTRe: Newsweek S*X

WTL and TOM, drinks are on me! Come on down. 8) Im not gonna touch this one. Im not sure I could put things as nicely as WTL and others. :-X
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 08:16 PM   #28
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
but the Russians were at best allies only in that they were the number #2 enemy state on our list wheras Nazi Germany was #1.
Don't forget about Japan-the Russians declaring war on Japan in 1945 combined with the atomic bombs kept us from having to invade Japan. But it illustrates my point.

As a side note the Purple Hearts that are going to our troops wounded in Iraq were made prior to the end of WWII. They were expecting between 500,000 and 1,000,000 casualties if the invasion took place.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 08:20 PM   #29
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
As a side note the Purple Hearts that are going to our troops wounded in Iraq were made prior to the end of WWII. They were expecting between 500,000 and 1,000,000 casualties if the invasion took place.
Did not know that. Amazing, simply amazing.

Old 06-03-05, 10:29 PM   #30
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well now apparently Matt Drudge is reporting that the Pentagon has confirmed that some copies of the Koran were splashed with urine at Gwantanamo bay. Thats not quite a vindication of Newsweek, they should have been more secure with the story before they went with it, but I do fear that this will result in more rioting if it blows up in the media.

Doesn't really affect what our foreign policy should be either, but jeez, I wish we could avoid stuff like Abu Ghraib and desecrating stuff that should be off limits like the Koran. The Old Testament and even Jesus are talked about in the Koran I believe.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.