Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-05, 05:46 PM   #1
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan
Default The Proof is in the Pudding

If you don't want to read this whole post, just go to the end of it ;D ;D ;D ;D

I recently attended a Fishing Show here in Indy and something during one of the seminars that really changed my view on what brand soft pastics I will fish.

BASS Pro Joe Thomes, was doing a seminar on what spring soft plastic baits are a good bet for big bass. He was demostrating the action and affectiveness of the baits in a huge aquarium that was loaded with bass....He cut the tip of his hooks off, as to not injure the fish.

His first bait choice was a typical jig and pig with the pig being a 3X Craw.....He threw it out, jigged a couple of times and one nailed it...The bass held onto it for about 10 sec., then let go.

His second bait choice was a Strike King Flippin Tube. He cast again, let it fall to the bottom and one grabbed it, held on for about 15-20 sec and then let go.

His final choice of baits was a 4" Berkeley Power Worm. HE threw it out, and one instantly grabbed it and held on for at least 45 sec, then finally let go and as soon as that one did, another one grabbed it...this one held on for even longer....."Fish bite and won't let go"

Long story short, bass hold on to Power Bait longer

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:15 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: The Proof is in the Pudding

the 4" red shad powerworm has been my go to bait for years(and years).2nd choice is 4" motor oil powerworm.
i hate to say i told you so..but..I TOLD YOU SO. ;D
just messin with you guys.
they have put a heck of a lot of fish in the boat and some money in my pocket to boot.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:26 PM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

How long do you think they starve these fish before a show? So they can indorse a product, and make them self's look good? Do you think they would do such a thing ??? :

Just wondering Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 10:12 PM   #4
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I don't wish to be rude or diminish the significance of what you learned. But it has been known for a long time that Power Baits get held longer than some other brands.

In my personal experience, however, any brand of plastic I've used is held more than long enough to do a hookset. Power Worms is one of the brands I use and I am unable to see much difference in my catch-to-strike ratio with them than other brands.

Mr. Thomas' demonstration showed that the Power brand was held 4 1/2 times as long as the 3X. Yet the 3X was held 10 seconds, more than enough time to detect the hit and set the hook. I suppose one could make the case that Power Baits up the odds, but I'd be surprised if it made a significant difference over a period of time.

There are too many people having good success on other brands, even though Power is a very good brand.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 11:48 PM   #5
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

power bait = Worms with training wheels! ;D
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 12:19 AM   #6
bassguy2004

I love those black 10 inch power worms. My biggest fish was caught on them.
Old 03-05-05, 12:48 AM   #7
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Oh yeah, first of all, I almost exclusively use power bait for all my fishing.......Second, a fish holding on to the bait for 45 sec. realistically does me little good...if it takes you 45 sec. to detect a bite, we have problems .....And I know Power Bait has been out for years, but it was cool to see it first hand.....

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 02:05 AM   #8
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

wierd, back in '90 and '91 when the first series came out I used to catch alot of bass on them at some local lakes. Everyone was catching bass on them. I fish the same lakes still...but over the last couple of years can't get a bite on a power bait. I use primarily a 6" curl tail worm. I can switch to a culprit or bass assasin in the same color and start getting bites though. Does anyone think that bass can become conditioned to odor as they are to say a hard bait like a crank, or is it maybe just because i've lost confidence in the power baits?
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:08 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=basstech link=board=news;num=1109969189;start=0#7 date=03/05/05 at 00:05:53]wierd, back in '90 and '91 when the first series came out I used to catch alot of bass on them at some local lakes. Everyone was catching bass on them. I fish the same lakes still...but over the last couple of years can't get a bite on a power bait. I use primarily a 6" curl tail worm. I can switch to a culprit or bass assasin in the same color and start getting bites though. Does anyone think that bass can become conditioned to odor as they are to say a hard bait like a crank, or is it maybe just because i've lost confidence in the power baits?[/quote]

I believe fish can be conditioned. I would think it's about like the electric fence for dogs. After so many zaps, they know not to go near the line That's why you always here everyone trying to give the fish a different look. However it could also be that the fishery is on a down slide/cycle, with less Fish ???

By the way, don't know if I've welcomed you, but glad your here. You obviously have a little experience , which is always nice to get some new or different insights. And it's DAVE not SCOTT, correct? ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 10:37 PM   #10
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

LOL yep. Thanks for the welcome.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.