Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-05, 06:22 PM   #1
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111
Default rods?

in your opinion wich rod is better fenwick,all star, or st croix?
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 07:47 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: rods?

I'm an AllStar fan, but the other two are good rods. Â*Just depends on your budget and your personal preferences. St. Croix are the most expensive, but I've never fished one so somebody else will have to give you an opinion on them. I have fished Fenwick rods and prefer AllStars.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 07:47 PM   #3
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

buy a fenwick, you wont regret it.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 07:53 PM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I have several All star rods and Fenwick rods.I like either brand of those two rods.What was the third brand? Oh nevermind, no comment. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 08:12 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wow talk about compareing rods..
i own fenwick and a couple allstar's these to are like comparing budwiser to bud light. no real differance in handling or appearance-price is a differant story-the st croak rods just suck and are WAY to much for what you get.

mind you i have a bunch of fenwicks mostly the mid to upper price range.

bassman
i bit the bullet and just ordered the x-metal quantum reel..for that new rod.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 08:48 PM   #6
RedShad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RedShad

I thought Johny Morris was a piece of junk with Curado 200B. After I mounted a Scorpion1000 on it, I just realized Jonny Morris is a good rod, JX70MT or JX66MHT, for the money. Now it is on sale. It would be great with a Daiwa Sol, Fuego, Shimano Calais 100, CH100(50)MG or Scorpion1000(MG).
RedShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 09:00 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Raywill, Be careful with the Magnesium framed reels. Magnesium is a very corrosive metal, and if you happen to have alot of friction upon the Magnesium frame from a steel metal source, you have an instant fire starting high dollar reel. We used to use Magnesium for welding fixtures because it was lighter than other metals ,but after many fires started from the combination of steel particles and magnesium creating a fire that really burns quite well, they no longer use magnesium any more. ;D P N J
Old 03-18-05, 11:29 PM   #8
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

I have no experience with St. Croix. Between the Fenwick and the Allstar, that's a tough call. I suppose if a gun were put to my head and were told to pick one, or else, I would probably pick an Allstar. Just personal preference though... you won't go wrong with either.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 11:48 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well St Croix is my brand of choice, it's not St Croak zooker. I'm noticing a trend with you guys, if the rod/reel/boat/bait costs a little more you immediatley start picking them apart. Most upper end rods are of decent quality but have different tendancies. I said it before(even though I broke this because I couldn't find anything local to put my hands on that I liked better, or had the action I wanted) that St Croix wouldn't be my first choice for cranking rod, but for worming and plastics, it just plain old hard to beat. I have recently had a email forwarded to me from one of the folks here, that was from a gentleman who is a writer for fishing. He stated that St Croix's bread and butter was Walleye anglers, and therefor the rod's were better for Plasitcs due to the design. He also went on to say that G-Loomis was better for cranks etc... So every manufactuer has certain tendancies, because of the manufacturing process that will usually make them better for a specific fishing technique. So St Croix ISN'T the best for cranking, but is for plastics. Just as perhaps a All Star is better for Plasitcs also than cranking. I personally don't know all of the manufacturers, and which is always better for a specific application. But if you buy a cranking rod, and it's better suited for Plastics, than you probably won't like it. If you remember the post I just made about what is the best rod for each application, it was to trying to determine who has found good rods for each, and then I could research these for myself. And lets also not forget, that personal experiences and preferences fall into what folks like. For example someone posted they use X brand for regular cranking, but y brand for deepwater cranking. So here is 2 different styles of cranking that perhaps are better suited by different brands. This of course is just MY opinion. But just because someone doesn't like a brand or think it's overpriced, does not mean it's not superior in some ways than other brands. Perhaps it was the choice of the application you chose to use it for. It also comes down to what is available in your area(another post I made). Does this mean it's worse, or your technique needs some honing, and that you have made adjustments for it's lacking in it's abilitites? Or that it just plain feels different, so then you decide it's crap? And lastly if you were already say a crankbait fisherman, and got used to a specific brand, and then switched to another brand, it will obviously perform slightly differently. Now your out of your comfort zone.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 11:54 PM   #10
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Fortunatly with the recent sells at different stores I have all three that I am going to try this year. The all-star and fenwick are spinning. The St. Croix is a med 7ft that i am matching to a curado. Give me a couple more months and I will be able to better tell you. One thing, the fenwick sure feels mighty good in my hand.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 02:14 AM   #11
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

FALCON RODS IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 06:10 AM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, If you are going to sell a product for more than it appears to be worth in the eyes of the buyer. You are going to get picked apart.The Saint crow rod I bought had a lifetime warranty ,but when it was defective by design and craftsmanship, they still wouldn't honor the warranty they stated.You can choose any other name brand rod company and although they do not usually state a lifetime warranty on paper, They will usually replace the rod no questions asked.If Fenwick finds you have misused the rod by trying to pry a car out of a ditch with it or something equally as stupid where there is no doubt you misused the rod, they will still give you 55% off from the next purchase.I like rod companies that do the right thing although it was never stated as part of the warranty, not lure the customer in with a written warranty and then not honor what they said they were going to do.They will undoubtedly get picked apart every time if they do and rightfully so. ;D P N J
Old 03-19-05, 07:39 AM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1111180964;start=0#11 date=03/19/05 at 04:10:50]Lizards, If you are going to sell a product for more than it appears to be worth in the eyes of the buyer. You are going to get picked apart.The Saint crow rod I bought had a lifetime warranty ,but when it was defective by design and craftsmanship, they still wouldn't honor the warranty they stated.You can choose any other name brand rod company and although they do not usually state a lifetime warranty on paper, They will usually replace the rod no questions asked.If Fenwick finds you have misused the rod by trying to pry a car out of a ditch with it or something equally as stupid where there is no doubt you misused the rod, they will still give you 55% off from the next purchase.I like rod companies that do the right thing although it was never stated as part of the warranty, not lure the customer in with a written warranty and then not honor what they said they were going to do.They will undoubtedly get picked apart every time if they do and rightfully so. ;D P N J[/quote]

Well I'm sorry for your experience with them, however mines been completely opposite of that. I did break a rod in 2 with it completely being my fault. I had also modified the handle, and they still replaced it for free. Don't know the circustances of yours? However in my case, I don't consider the rod sticking out the side of the boat as I go by a dock, and catching it to be a manufacturing defect, that was a Lizard defect :-[ Well we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Doen't mean we can't fish together though ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 09:35 AM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, I am glad you didn't have the same problem as I did.It is good that we told both sides of the saint croix experiences.I am just glad I haven't had any other rod fail on the very first day out.The only other rod I had fail was a Shimano ,but it was my fault, I set the hook on a big snapping turtle that hit my jig.I still remember setting the hook hard and it sounded like a shotgun blast going off and my face and arm stinging from being hit with the rod blank peices as it shattered above the reel seat.I guess I have been lucky for as many rods I have bought to only have the single problem.I certainly would like to get out and fish with you sometime. ;D P N J
Old 03-19-05, 03:43 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

first off MR. LIZARD in a side by side comparison the st croak premeier rods are about 80 bucks the hmx series rods by fenwick are bout the same 80 bucks each. i have owned both i havs snapped a st. croak 7 foot medium heavy rod at the butt during a hook set. i have also busted a st croak fighting a large steele head -it was a st.croak fly rod - i have broke only 1 fenwick rod in the last 20 years. and that was last year with a big hybrid bass. to my mind that was a fluke. the st croak rod went backl to the factory 3 times cause the winding was coming undone on a rod less than 3 months old..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 02:49 AM   #16
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Falcon. ;D Of those, I like the fenwick the best.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 04:42 PM   #17
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

Thats funny i have smashed guides done all kinds of retarded things broke tips off rods returned through not one but three different st. croix dealers in the area and none said a word about it other than ok whats the serial ok go get another out of the rack

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.