Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-06, 01:53 PM   #1
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65
Post Federation to leave BASS

Anyone been keeping up with this?

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=1567

Old 01-24-06, 03:01 PM   #2
bassinDan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassinDan
Question Federation/BASS split?

Perkdog, thanks for letting us know about this split. I was not aware of it. What are the ramifications? What will be the result? What's your view on this? Does it really make any difference as far as the average BASS member is concerned?
Old 01-24-06, 05:13 PM   #3
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

It looks like the Federation (TBF Inc.) will align itself with FLW...which to the average bass fisherman doesn't really mean a whole lot unless you are a part of a local fishing club that is associated with the Federation...you will now (depending on your clubs vote to stay or go) need a membership with FLW vice BASS to compete in the tournaments.
And that's about all i got to say about that
Old 01-24-06, 06:49 PM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have been keeping up on the news. BASS looks really bad in all of it. Go to bassfan and learn all about it. The problems started back in Oct., I think.
Old 01-24-06, 07:27 PM   #5
bassinDan
BassFishin.Com Member

You know, Ray Scott (former insurance salesman) founded BASS. A few years later he sold it to a group of investors. They then sold it to ESPN, last year I think. Scott still seems to have a big hand in it.
This doesn't have anything to do with the split. It's just that the direction BASS seems to be moving really irks me: part fishing, part golf (with the numbered "holes" played, uh fished, in succession), and boat racing of sorts. Some of the guys calling it BASSCAR sure have of point.
It seems like BASS should git 'er done and put BIG numbers on the tournament boats and declare the winner to be the guy who can drive his boat the farthest, the fastest, and catch the heaviest five bass in the shortest time, and return to the take-off point (start/finish line) ending with the lowest elapsed time.
It just may be that the FLW folks are more in touch with what the true essence of tournament bass fishing really is.....
Old 01-24-06, 07:42 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

umm the clubs have voted basicly it was a vote of 30-14 in favor of the split. go to flwoutdoors.com and read the skinny on what the clubs have to do to get the big flw pay off every year..
oh yeah it is a 5 year deal..

zooker
Old 01-24-06, 09:30 PM   #7
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

the jersey federation is pulling out of B.A.S.S.....ever see the ESPN magazine?not one mention about bass fishing anywhere...B.A.S.S is in it's death throes..they did it to themselves.
what took 35 years to build up will be destroyed in a couple years.
Old 01-24-06, 10:23 PM   #8
DStu22
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassintom, do you know if New Jersey is one of the 30 who already voted to leave BASS? As Zooker said, the vote is 30-4 right now. I know there are still 14 states/chapters who have to vote. I'm in the CT. State Federation and our meeting is this Thursday night. We have not voted as of yet. That is going to be one interesting meeting (bring the boxing gloves)!

Last edited by DStu22; 01-25-06 at 12:35 AM.
DStu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 10:33 PM   #9
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

The current vote is 30-4 to leave BASS with 14 left to vote so it can not get any closer than 30-18 if every state to vote denies the move.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 10:49 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i believe it was voted on in N.J. to leave...i'll verify as soon as i can ..
Old 01-24-06, 11:21 PM   #11
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

this is all confusing to me... i'm lost in the words... what main difference... y is there a split... and what if a club/state stays with BASS.... whats everyone b**chin about?
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 11:32 PM   #12
Rebbasser

That is a real shame. But, ESPN wants to go with the glitz and glitter and away from the good 'ol boy image of bass fishing. Problem is most bass fishermen ARE good 'ol boys and aren't interested in the glitz and glitter. Look at the posts that came during the Classic-most people were interested in what the pros were using and how ther were using it as well as where they caught their fish-not break dancing or a spiked hairdo. BASS is not paying attention to the demographics of their target audience. (I think that is the first time I've said that since I got out of school)
Old 01-25-06, 12:32 AM   #13
DStu22
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basser087
The current vote is 30-4 to leave BASS with 14 left to vote so it can not get any closer than 30-18 if every state to vote denies the move.
Basser087, the problem is that FLW has offered a contract proposal that is in excess of $15 million and to make this commitment they have told TBF that the following must be provided:

What FLW Asks

The proposal you have seen is enormous. For any business relationship to be long-term successful it must be a two-way street. Each party needs to be rewarded for its efforts.

To offer up this kind of contract proposal that is in excess of $15 million--these are real dollars supporting the Federation--TBF will need to provide FLW the following partnership commitments:

At least 80% of the TBF state Federations, clubs and members will join the FLW/TBF relationship and become FLW Outdoors members.

TBF will agree to start a new TBF-affiliated Federation in any state where no active TBF Federation exists.

State Federations that join the FLW relationship agree to provide category-exclusive sponsorships to Wal-Mart, Ranger, Kellogg's, BP, Castrol, Fujifilm, Yamaha, Land O'Lakes, Pure Fishing, M&M Mars, Pedigree and Chevrolet.

Each participating TBF state Federation agrees to display the FLW logo on all printed materials. Also, the TBF national organization agrees to use the FLW logo on all printed materials.

This is a 5-year agreement
Old 01-25-06, 05:41 AM   #14
zooker

umm just so ALL of you know 30-4 is a typo.....it is posted at ncbass as 30-14

zooker
Old 01-25-06, 06:40 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anytime and it doesnt matter what sport or activity is involved once the money isssue starts to grow or get bigger things really go south. Hell look at the boats they using now. Before the boats get wrapped and all the logos sewed into the carpet they are costing anywhere from 38-45,000. Then throw in the wrap and logos add another 5000. Money really does destroy most of the original ideas. When Ray started BASS it was to promote bass fishing Not Bush Beer or skoal or whatever. Burns my a@@ to see a sport that has such a widespread impact on everyone especially todays youth. I remeber when all you needed to compete in a tourney was a boat that would float and a rod and reel and handful of baits. The average youth that gets interested in bass fishing todays says " How am I gonna make $75000 to get all the gear I need to compete. Sorry bout ramblin on folks and kinda getting off the main post it just burns me up.
Old 01-25-06, 09:31 AM   #16
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default ESPN/BASS screw-up

I've been a federation member since the 70's. The federations have always been independant and self governing. When ESPN bought BASS in 2001 they thought they owned the federations, it was a big suprise when they found out they didn't. In 2002-2003 they wanted reps from each region to cut cost of bringing all the fed president to meetings. Then they started to demand more and more control over the federations, this pass Oct at a meeting they demanded a increase in federation dues. Under thier own federation bylaws it had to be approved by the state federations, Mr Rucks balked at this and said pay by Dec 31st or you're out. Their new master plan is to OWN the federations, the dues increase was thier plan to break the federation unity. But it blew-up in their face. All the information they're putting out still lacks the agreement that they said all members would have to sing???? We all know they didn't come up with their master plan over night, so why haven't posted or released the agreement contents. They are marketing and media people they don't care, understand. or give a damm about grassroots bassfishermen. JMHO bigbasser.
P.S. Just read all of Mr. Rucks letters and you will get a better understanding of what I'm saying. A bully on Monday no matter how nice he is all week is still a bully on Friday.
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 09:51 AM   #17
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

so are u staying or going? fast, and bigB..
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 10:06 AM   #18
bassinDan
BassFishin.Com Member

Rebbasser and 1FASTLASER, I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!!!
Old 01-25-06, 01:14 PM   #19
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Boy... i didn't mean to stir up such a mess. I agree with ya bigbasser. Our division has decided to go with FLW...we had this discussion last month at our local club meeting... and by the way any of you who have to switch from BASS to FLW memberships due to your club changing affiliation you get a discounted membership from FLW.

Here part of an e-mail i got from our club pres. on how: Gentleman,
Just got this from Christy Centofanti, FLW Outdoors. She said that any of us
Federation Members that want to change from BASS to FLW on line and receive the
25% discount can do so, just type FEDERATION in the promo code box.

This should help out....

Thank you for your email. If you enter the promotion code FEDERATION,
you will receive the 25% discount online. If you have any problems
doing so, please let me know.

Best regards,
Christy Centofanti
FLW Outdoors
Old 01-25-06, 06:22 PM   #20
zooker

was a flw member before the switch. actually was a member of both. but liked flw more.. the flw outdoors mag is as good as bassmaster -has less adds- though not all about bassfishing- it covers ALL flw tournys -i even saved the one showing lizards name in the bfl tourny's...

zooker
Old 01-25-06, 06:45 PM   #21
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

really could care less...I'm still gonna fish...
Old 01-25-06, 07:28 PM   #22
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

Go to bassfederation.com that's the bass federations homepage. Here is a quote from the website the current vote is 30-4 not 30-14 with 14 states that have took it to a majority vote. FEDERATION FIRST©
"The overview of the program presented to the presidents that they voted on. Vote was 30 state to support TBF14 abstain to take it back to states and 4 no." Document Here
Personally I respect this decision and believe that leaving BASS and joining the FLW Outdoors would be great for the federation. Please read over all of the benefits with Flw Outdoors. Anglers from each region have a chance to qualify for the BFL All American where first place is $140,000 and the national champion and runner-up get spots in the FLW Tour Championship where 1st is $500,000 or 1,000,000 if you own a Ranger. Also, the NAtional Champion gets a full year of entry fees in the FLW Tour of FLW Series, a wrapped Ranger Boat, and a wrapped Chevy Truck to use for the next tournament season. BASS could never come close to putting together such great advantages for us. In total 14 anglers get a chance to go on further than the federation where only 6 went further with BASS.
Old 01-25-06, 07:29 PM   #23
DStu22
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker, not that it's a big deal but the 30-14 vote you read posted on ncbass is actually the typo. Here's a section of the article posted by bassfan.com under News (pro tours) link.

An End, And Beginning
Fed Presidents Vote,
Majority Take FLW Offer

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Irwin Jacobs offered a proposal that included $15 million over 5 years.
Tradition and nostalgia weren't enough to save a relationship that had turned sour for many of the parties involved. So, with a new suitor camped on their doorstep, the BASS Federation state presidents voted last night (Wednesday) to leave BASS and embark on a new venture through an affiliation with FLW Outdoors.

The final tally was lopsided: Of the 46 presidents in attendance at the meetings in Celebration, Fla., 30 voted to sever ties with BASS, which launched the grassroots organization 35 years ago and had overseen it throughout its existence.

Only four were against the move and there were 14 abstentions, including Missouri and Montana, which apparently did not have representatives at the meetings.

The minority quartet consisted of the presidents from Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and the Canadian province of Ontario. The group that abstained did not have the authority from their membership to cast a vote at the meetings. But Robert Cartlidge, president of The Bass Federation Inc. (TBF Inc.), said he expects most of them to join the majority within the next 10 days.

Also heres a section of the article printed on the FLW website:

An overwhelming majority of Federation presidents voted to accept a proposal from FLW Outdoors that was presented by FLW Outdoors Chairman Irwin L. Jacobs during a Jan. 8 meeting in Orlando, Fla. The vote was 30 to 4 in favor of accepting the proposal, with 14 presidents abstaining. Robert Cartlidge, president of The Bass Federation Inc., expects a majority of those 14 presidents to accept the proposal within the next 10 days after further consultation with their constituents.
Old 01-25-06, 07:44 PM   #24
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

Dstu22 I take it you have the same opinion I do about leaving?
Old 01-25-06, 08:41 PM   #25
DStu22
BassFishin.Com Member

Basser087: I know a lot of people consider BASS the organization that got us all started into bass fishing at the tournament level (myself included), but that was when BASS needed us. BASS has not shown they need us in the last couple of years as they have become "big business" through the help of Disney and ESPN. I'm all about loyalty like a lot of people, but in my opinion BASS has not been real loyal to us (the average fisherman) recently.

Federation fishermen elected a group of guys (TBF reps) to represent their best interests and look out for them. These reps did that (telling us not to send in the extra $5 until BASS told us how it was going to be allocated), and BASS "cuts off ties" with them. Now there's some fed fisherman still considering staying with BASS. To me doing that would be a real slap in the face to these reps that stuck their necks out for us. I don't get it!!! All I can say to those who choose the path to stay with BASS is GOOD LUCK!

Let me ask this question: What happens after BASS is done trying to patch things up with their last ditched "Federation Nation" attempt to sway people back to their side? Oh, I'm sure BASS will be good ol' boys for awhile to win back some trust because they know they screwed up (they stand to lose about $640,000 {losing 80% of 40,000 BASS fed members = 32,000 x $20 = $640,000})

Also, who is going to want to act as representives for these fed clubs that stay with BASS after the way they saw how loyal people were to the last reps(TBF)? And with noone representing you, who is going to stop BASS from mandating more $ increases like this in the future? Again, GOOD LUCK!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.