Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-05, 07:15 PM   #1
MikeD
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD
Default Pond Bass

Hi:
I've just started fishing this year and have caught a lot of bass along the banks of the pond I live on in Massachusetts. I've been throwing green zoom lizards in the areas I know the bass are. Usually, however, they're only there when it's warm and SUNNY. The pond is abount 1 mile long and 1/2 mile wide. I'm told it's about 8-12 in the deep areas. The bottom is kinda muddy and there's rocks along the shore.

I'm wondering what I might try using to catch these bass when they're not parked right along the banks? In addition to LM bass there are pickerel, perch and pumpkinseed (sunfish).

Any suggestions to what type, size, color bait would be greatly appreciated. On occasion, I've caught bass away from the banks (25 yards or so) with the zoom lizard.

Thanx! :
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:20 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Pond Bass

well, try a craw along the rocks. then try a spinnerbait and cast it out parrellel to you, but into deeper water. also, try crankbaits in craw patterns, make it so it digs into the ground and leaves a mudtrail. also a tiki dipstik or tiki stik weightless/weedless will work. and also try to weight it. also, maybe a crankbait in pumkinseed color. or try to match the color of pickerel. also a drop shot rigged lizard will do good. and a c-rigged worm or lizards. are there lilly pads or fallen trees? what about mats? underwater structure? hope this helps
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:33 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ya can get a chrome and blue Rat L Trap at walmart for about 3 bucks and cast across the pond, that should keep ya busy for a day
You'll be able to feel if theres any grass or wood in the pond , plus as a bonus maybe catch a lunker!
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:45 PM   #4
MikeD
BassFishin.Com Member

I got a canoe which I go out in, but I still cast close to shore. Is this what I should do most (if not all) of the time? (cast toward the bank?) Is this where the bass will be most of time? When the bass are there, there's a lot.. When they are not, they must be somewhere else. There is a green grass cover along the bottom. The banks have some overgrowth bushes and an occasional sunken tree branch. Also, there are some large rocks which come close to the top surface of the water. Thanx
Old 05-20-05, 09:47 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Yes Mass,

I think the bass position themselve to look at the bank generally, preying on smaller baitfish or craws, so a cast into the bank from the canoe would be my choice
I have canoed before and its harder to fish in than most realize, esp when we are used to standing on a flipping deck big enough to square dance on lol
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:47 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

cast parrallel to the bank. and target those rocks with what i said. also, a jig around the tree branches or bushes or rocks is a good idea.
Old 05-20-05, 09:49 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

the problem with casting towards the bank directly is, that the bait will be coming straight to the bass. when is the last time you saw a baitfish swim right at a bass? if you cast parrallel to the shore, you will go in front of the bass, and not at it, the bass will hit more.
Old 05-20-05, 10:29 PM   #8
MikeD
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass '02

I checked out the Tiki Dipstik. It looks like it would work. How do you rig it?

Also, how are the Tiki Craws? Do you recommend? Would a color that matches the bottom grass of the pond be best?
Old 05-20-05, 10:34 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i rig the dipstiks weightless/weedless, or peg a bullet weight about half a foot up the line. i like redbug/chartruese tip the best. i havnt even seen the craws, but i wish i could find some, they sound great. the tiki snakes and lizards are also good, but make sure to lube the lizard with scent because it is really sticky. they will stick to anything.
Old 06-02-07, 02:49 AM   #10
RyDogg
BassFishin.Com Active Member

hey man,
try out some powerbait 6'' blue fleck worms. They have worked great for me. Especially if youre in a canoe and casting toward shore. Just texas rig it with a jig hook and throw it close to shore and retrieve real slowly. The powerbait worms are scented so the fish usually hold them longer than usual and you can set the hook easier. good luck
Old 06-02-07, 05:50 AM   #11
b4ssman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to b4ssman

yesterday i caught a nice 5 pound bass out of a really small golf course pond, using a berkleys power grub, the color was smoke grey. id just cast to the middle of the pond and twitch it back slowly. ill tell you right now that fish was the best fight ive ever had, do to the fact i was using really light tackle.
b4ssman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.