Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-05, 10:45 PM   #1

Default Spinner Baits

Anyone have suggestions for what brand of spinner baits to use in a clear water pond?
Old 05-16-05, 10:54 PM   #2
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass
Default Re: Spinner Baits

in clear water I'd use something small with a natural color like shad, watermelon, or pumpkinseed. I like my spinners with a nice fat skirt, the more strands the better.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:00 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

to add to RR's answer, in real clear water double willowleaf blades are a little better-more flash ans less vibration.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:13 PM   #4
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

he's asking what BRAND to use...i'd have to say go with a warsaw floating clubfish spinnerbait with the #8 indiana blade...those polaks make a good spinnerbait.
get the blooming onion color
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:29 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I really don't have a favorite brand. I've caught them on the high end titanium baits and on the ones from the $.99 bargain bin. I just look for the color and blade combination I want.
Old 05-17-05, 05:15 PM   #6
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

Hart is my favorite brand and for clear water I would try the bleeding shad color first. If you are not familiar with them they sell a few of them at Wal-Mart.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 05:48 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

mepps
Old 05-17-05, 10:13 PM   #8
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

lately i have been picking up fish using a white or black booyah spinnerbait,
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 10:55 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

IF the water is too clear I dont even bother throwing a spinnerbait, they get too good a look at it
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 12:47 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

JB, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way. When it is too clear I rarely throw one either.
Old 05-18-05, 11:17 AM   #11
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

my thoughts exactly, only time in clear water I'd use it is when its very sunny and the fish want a fast presentation. A fast presentation is about the only time that spinnerbait will resemble a small school of baitfish in clear water. With a slow presentation, it doesn't look natural at all in clear water.
Old 05-18-05, 12:10 PM   #12
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

First of all,downsize in a small pond.As for brand ,I've caught 'em on expensive baits and the $1:00 Wal-Mart special.Use white ,chartruese,and black w/red.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 12:17 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116294357;start=0#8 date=05/17/05 at 21:55:17]IF the water is too clear I dont even bother throwing a spinnerbait, they get too good a look at it[/quote]

Well once again I guess I'm the oddball :-/ I'm never afraid to throw a spinnerbait. The coal pit I fish during some summer days will have visibilty up to 15' on parts of it. I've caught bass on spinnerbait in sunny conditions in this water, when I couldn't catch them on anything else. My preferred color is white/charteusse with double willow leaf blades, silver and gold combo. I prefer the Strike King Titanium spinnerbaits due to them not bending out of shape. I do understand some folks aversion to them in clear water, but I've had success with them in clear water.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 03:01 PM   #14
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1116294357;start=0#12 date=05/18/05 at 11:17:44]

Well once again I guess I'm the oddball :-/ Â*I'm never afraid to throw a spinnerbait. Â*

Lizards
[/quote]

Your not the only one.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 03:39 PM   #15
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I always have one tied on one of my rods, and may pick it up at any time when I see something I like, but I would'nt fish it all day as my only rod in clear water, and yes, i throw it a lot cus its fun , but had to learn that clear water deal the hard way, that is on still waters.
Now if there is a real nice wind n chop, I pick it up first thing, even if the water looks clear,
by the time the wind chops it up by mid day it probably have a tint to it, either that or wait till the f/n speed boat traffic turns the banks into coffee looking stain...........
Any time your confronted with clear water I go to punkin seed and chartruse tail on plastics
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 05:16 PM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116294357;start=0#14 date=05/18/05 at 14:39:02]I always have one tied on one of my rods, and may pick it up at any time when I see something I like, but I would'nt fish it all day as my only rod in clear water, and yes, i throw it a lot cus its fun , but had to learn that clear water deal the hard way, that is on still waters.
Now if there is a real nice wind n chop, I pick it up first thing, even if the water looks clear,
by the time the wind chops it up by mid day it probably have a tint to it, either that or wait till the f/n speed boat traffic turns the banks into coffee looking stain...........
Any time your confronted with clear water I go to punkin seed and chartruse tail on plastics[/quote]

I'm with ya on throwing it all day if it aint working, change up. I also have about 12 other rod/reel combo's rigged up if I'm on my boat ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 07:42 PM   #17
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

its not that you're an oddball, bass are just mean machines sometimes attacking anything that moves.
[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1116294357;start=0#12 date=05/18/05 at 11:17:44]

Well once again I guess I'm the oddball :-/ Â*I'm never afraid to throw a spinnerbait. Â*The coal pit I fish during some summer days will have visibilty up to 15' on parts of it. Â*I've caught bass on spinnerbait in sunny conditions in this water, when I couldn't catch them on anything else. Â*My preferred color is white/charteusse with double willow leaf blades, silver and gold combo. Â*I prefer the Strike King Titanium spinnerbaits due to them not bending out of shape. Â*I do understand some folks aversion to them in clear water, but I've had success with them in clear water. Â*

Lizards
[/quote]
Old 05-19-05, 06:46 PM   #18
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

jb and the rest of i say BULL i have caught more bass from clear water on a spinner bait in the last 2 years than i have caught on any other bait.
speed is the #1 factor in clear water. in 2 words "power fish " muddy water i tend to slow it down. some but not much.

one of you said booya i have used them some i find they do not like the bump and run very much for some reason. they turn sideways when they contact a tree limb and will hang up.
i have narrowed my blades down to daves tourment baits, highly modified -ya think- and the zook-n-stein.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 06:49 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1116294357;start=0#17 date=05/19/05 at 17:46:19] and the zook-n-stein.

zooker
Â* Â* [/quote]
knew that was gunna work its way into the thread...... :P hey zook, im a good guy, need someone to test out that spinnerbait down here in the sunny south??? ya, i wish
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 06:55 PM   #20
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Ive been swearing by Strike King bleeding baits. White and chartreuse. Ive also started using a inline buck tail jig with good results. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 09:19 PM   #21
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

to be honest the next person to recive a zook-n-stein will more than likly be hose holder. basicly i am sick of his whinning like a lil girl about it. but it wont be any time soon -need to get the componits-maybe thanksgiving time or so. i make no promises.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 10:17 PM   #22
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

nicely done hoseholder ;D. but im not gunna try to get the zook-n-stein out of ya that way zook. maybe one day you will ship one this way, but till then, i promise not to bug you much fireman does deserve one tho, he is a good guy, and im gunna be fishin with him this summer. so it'll be a good time to pick his brain alittle ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 08:31 AM   #23
roadrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

i have had the most luck with small roadrunner spinner jigs. i use a white jig head with a willow leaf blade and a chartruse/white grub. had most luck with 1/8 and 1/4 oz.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 11:00 AM   #24
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would suggest not getting hung up on the brand of the spinnerbait your choosing, but rather, pay close attention to the way it is made and it's componenets. Strike king, Booya, Terminator, BPS, and others all make very good spinnerbaits. What you want to do is pick out a lure that is properly made and the right size and style for your application. First off, make sure whatever you buy, that the manufacturer uses good quality ball bearing swivels, such as made by Sampo. Also the style of the blade is important. Colorado blades will run the bait shallower, and willow will run the bait deeper. Turtleback and Indiana style blades are a good in between style of the two. I have had tremendous success with the turtleback style blades as are found on some Terminator models. So if your wanting to work the shallow cover in a small pond, a double colorado would be a good choice. If your wanting to work the deeper edges of a weedbed, a combo of a small colorado and larger willow is a good way to go. Blade color also comes into play. I read a study that said gold plated blades will reflect the most light, and I have to agree from what I have observed. Gold plated is MY blade of choice. But I also have many with nickle plated blades and they work very well also. I don't have a single painted blade in my collection. Not saying they won't work, I just don't see the need. Skirt color is an easy one for me. I use white skirts 95% of the time. Occationally I will throw a white/chartruece combo colored skirt on cloudier days. Now for the odd part. I always choose a 3 inch yellow or chartruece single twister grub to use on my white spinnerbaits. Why yellow instead of a white grub you may ask? I don't know to be honest. I only know that I get far more strikes using a yellow grub with a white skirt than a white grub. I am only guessing here but I think it is because the yellow grub contrasts from the white skirt just enough to make it stand out and become more noticable to the basses eyes. Lastly, I would say that for pond fishing, start with 1/4 oz. and have a couple 3/8th oz. sizes to have on hand for windier days and fall fishing. I've never had any better luck by going smaller than 1/4 oz. In fact, I have had less success using 1/8th oz. than with 1/4 oz. The 1/4 oz size is not to big, and not too small, allowing you to use it in about any pond condition you'll come across. And it's heavy enough to handle most winds. If it gets too windy, a 3/8th oz. size will be usefull. As summer yields to fall, I switch to larger spinnerbaits of 3/8 - 1/2 oz. size. Bass are looking for a larger meal in the fall to fatten up for the lean winter months ahead. Also, the natural forage of bass has grown to a larger mature size by fall than compared to early summer. So your matching the hatch if you will. Be sure to vary your speed of your retrieve. I have my best luck with a slower speed, just trying to keep the blades moving while I work it through, and over weeds and brush. Let it freefall along side the shady sides of logs and rocks. Crawl it slowly along the deeper sides of weedbeds. But there are days when the bass will want a faster retieve. Like buzzing it over thier heads above a weedbed. Just experiment and let the bass tell you what retireve they want that day. Good luck!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.