Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-04, 09:43 PM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Confidence Lures?

I understand the concept of a "Confidence Lure," but what I am not quiet getting is the method at which you acquire one. Do you fish with this one lure, and this one lure only until you catch a fish. And what if on that lure you never catch a fish? What then. How long to you keep going on not catching fish until it is time to change lures?
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 09:58 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Confidence Lures?

it is a lure that you have caught many bass on in the past. be it a 5 " june bug senko or a rattle trap that has most of the paint knocked off from striking bass-a note here never repaint and old lure they get better-if you know that ya can fish said lure at a given time and lake ya will catch a bass. right next to that....well you get the idea.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 10:02 PM   #3
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=Big_Bad_Trav link=board=MessBoards;num=1101861788;start=0#0 date=11/30/04 at 19:43:08]I understand the concept of a "Confidence Lure," but what I am not quiet getting is the method at which you acquire one. Â*Do you fish with this one lure, and this one lure only until you catch a fish. Â*And what if on that lure you never catch a fish? Â*What then. Â*How long to you keep going on not catching fish until it is time to change lures? Â*[/quote]
I think confidence can be acquired two ways: by a lure's reputation and, more importantly, by your own experience.

As to reputation, let's take a Senko. It's been the most talked-about lure for a few years now. It's quite possible that someone can try them for the first time and have a lot of confidence because he knows from so many other people that it is a productive lure.

As to experience, it's often a matter of catching some fish shortly after you start using it. You quickly discover that it's effective, so you're reluctant to switch, and the more you use it, the more you catch, and you're now hooked, so to speak.

Often the first lure of a category you use becomes your confidence bait. The first plastic worms I used were Power Worms and they produced nicely. Since that time I've bought and used other worms, but the Power Worms remain my #1 confidence worm.

Confidence isn't necessarily logical; I'm not claiming that my Power Worms or other confidence baits are the best, they're just the ones I feel most comfortable using, regardless of how I reached that level of comfort.

All you need to do is to continue fishing and experimenting and soon you will develop confidence lures by whatever method makes you feel comfortable.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 10:27 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

A confidence lure is one that you have used enough and caught enough bass on that you will always be throwing one, and you think you could catch fish on them in most situations. Â*My confidence lure happens to be a soft jerkbait, when I'm fishing a new spot or in a tournament I've always got one of these tied on. Â*This doesn't mean its the only lure I'll use, by no means is it, its just what I've got confidence in. Also as you start using more types of lures, your confdence bait may change, mine probably will once I start using other stuff moe. My go-to lure is a 5" junebug Yum Dinger.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 10:37 PM   #5
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

25 yrs or so ago,my barber took me bass fishing for the 1st time in my life where i actually targeted a particular fish.we fished a small pond(couple acres)from the bank.we caught a heck of a lot of bass.even i was catching them and i had no idea what i was doing.i thought to myself"this bait will NEVER work" before i started fishing it.
that bait was a 4" red shad powerworm ...need i say more?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 01:37 AM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
How long to you keep going on not catching fish until it is time to change lures?
Now that is the question. How about years? I threw a jig and pig for literally years before I got that first hit. I knew they would catch fish,I just never did. Then one day I caught a 5 pounder on one and now it is one of my go-to baits, especially in winter.

Sometimes it gets real frustrating not catching a fish on something you throw, but eventually you will get bit, and that gives you the confidence to keep using it.

Now comes the caveat: A confidence bait can also be a trap-you throw it to the exclusion of everything else. That can really limit your success, so just be aware of that and throw different baits when your confidence bait isn't producing. That way you develop confidence in more than one bait.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 05:01 AM   #7
bassmania25
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmania25

Rebasser you hit the nail on the head. Confidence baits are great we all have them but dont get so confident in them that we dont look at the conditions we are fishing. I always have the same things tied on i caught fish in that lake before, but when i get to the docks if the conditions are not right or i throw it a while i begin to look and think logically( if there is such a thing when fishing) and realize maybe i spent too much time with those baits today. when it gets tough and i'm scrathing my head thinking what now? I will always tie on a confidence bait. Just dont too wrapped in them. .................... Scott R
bassmania25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:42 AM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

A confidence bait is what you go to when nothing else works.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.