Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-04, 07:54 PM   #1
Mr.Snagsalot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Snagsalot
Default have you all noticed?.............................

how technical fishing has got cause i mean when my grandfather was fishing there wasnt this kind of technology! i personally think its getting kinda too complicated and its making us lazy! ;D i just think it should be a boat,a pole,a reel, and an engine thats all i'd need to have a fun day on the lake! what about you all?Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*i know im gonna get Â*smartellic comments too! but i hope i wont
Mr.Snagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 08:01 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: have you all noticed?.........................

Like everything else, advances in technology has made fishing "better" IMO. Â*Lines, lures, reels, rods, boats-you name it. Â*My first fishing trip was with a cane pole, braided black dacron line, a bobber, a hook, and a nightcrawler. Â*That will still catch fish, but I find it to be a lot more fun with all the gadgets ;D

It really depends on how much you want to put into it. Â*And that's the advantage of technology: Â*You can go as low tech or as high tech as you want to.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 08:07 PM   #3
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

I think alot of it has to do with money. Bassfishing has become so mainstream that everybody tries to get a hand in it, whether it's lure companies, rod makers, boat builders etc... When this happens each company has to strive for improvement or they fall behind. It just snowballed into what we have today. The old ways still will work, but the new stuff is just as good or better.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 08:49 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I think its cause more and more people are fishing and so different companies are doing all they can to give their customers an advantage over other people on the water. Then the people buy the stuff, and then another company brings out a new lure to answer back with.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:18 PM   #5
bruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bruce

I agree with both Rebbasser and HulaPopr. Â*I also think that years ago the technology wasn't necessary as the fishing pressure was very low. Â*Nowadays, you got 100's of boats on any given good size lake and the bass see just about everything imaginable. Â*Thus, the technology comes in to assist the angler to catch the fish. Â*I don't necessarily think it has made us "lazy", I just think that for the most part fishing is tougher "more pressure" than it was years ago.

Scott
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:54 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

One of the beauties of fishing is that it can be enjoyed on so many different levels. From the bank with a bobber and a beer to out on the water with the latest in boat, motor, electronics and the like.

No doubt technology has improved virtually all products; better boats, motors, electronics, rods, reels, lines, etc.

But I still think we have complicated it more than necessary with so many lures, so many colors, an infinite combination of spinnerbait blades and the like.

I recently read an article about Skeet Reese on BassFan and how his career went upward when he started simplifying things and really pared down his choices in lures and stopped worrying about the minute details.

Here's an excerpt:

Simplified to Excel

After examining his temper and his tournament goals, Reese continued his era of introspection and this time, he turned to his bait box.

"When you do something long enough, you learn what works and what doesn't," he said. "I used to be the typical weekend-warrior bass fisherman who tried to absorb every new lure and technique. I used to think, This crank has to have this certain dot and this color on the back to get a bite. This jig must have this many strands of a certain color to get a bite."

But as he looked back over his successes, he realized he already knew how to catch fish and sometimes, the baits got in his way.

"Too many people get caught up in their baits, just like I did," he said. "But then they get their butts kicked by somebody flipping a black-and-blue jig or throwing a white spinnerbait with two willowleaf blades. That's when you realize the basics always work. That's when you realize it's not the bait, it's the angler.

"After I looked at it, I understood that I already knew the techniques. And each time I did well it was because I stuck with the gameplan – I used just one or two baits that I'd used for years. I also realized that the industry did a great job to get me to buy all this stuff. It got me excited to try new things, which is a positive. There's a time and place for everything, but for me, I had to simplify."

Now he knows he needs just a few baits to be consistent. "In practice I may have six or eight rods on the deck that are my confidence baits. I'll have little variations for water color or forage, but I've really simplified my tackle selection."

He used his sponsor Lucky Craft as an example. "I probably have more Lucky Craft baits in my garage than any tackle store in the country. But when I order them, I narrow it down to three or four colors. I know those color combinations will work for any conditions I face. From clear to dirty water, I have the colors covered.

"I keep three or four jig combinations and I stick with them," he said. "I have a lot of styles of plastics, and yes I still go places where they say, 'You need this pinkie-dinkie-boogie color.' I'll buy a pack and try it, but I always realize in practice that I'm catching more fish on my confidence colors like junebug, green pumpkin and red shad."

mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:51 PM   #7
Mr.Snagsalot
BassFishin.Com Member

well about the lazy part not like sit on our butt with an electronic reel i mean like fish finders we could just go back to finding the fish ourselves

and what i mean about electronic reels man, those things are so stupid if the machine reels it in, it completely takes the fun out of fishing! and MARTY try to shorten youre replys it took me about 10 min. to read your reply.lol ;D
Old 12-01-04, 11:04 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

minor
e-power reels are used mostly for deep water fishing in the gulf stream-like in the ocean-bottom fishing for grouper and other fish using minimum of 6 oz and going up to 2 pounds. hauling this much weight up and down all day in 5-600 feet of water will wear a gorilla down. let a lone a puny thing such as you.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:06 PM   #9
Mr.Snagsalot
BassFishin.Com Member

who cares deep or not and uh didnt get the last part my brain i think i set it on comebacks and insults only :P
Old 12-01-04, 11:09 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Some well thought out posts here. I will also say that with the Rapidly growing # of television covergages, and B.A.S.S. that's it's becoming more of a FAD with lots of folks with money, but not much knowledge or skill. So therefor they spends tons of money on stuff(I know I still spend lots, but it really isn't near where it was when I first started getting serious about it), and business folks see a new avenue for more MONEY, so they come up with lots of gizmos that look great and market them extremely well. Now on the flip side of that, I'm always trying to think of ways to help improve on baits/techniques/equipment, so I make changes to try to improve my fishing. Many times the greatest ideas come in small packages, but catch on like wild fire. How many of you know the name Senko? Is this really a NEW bait or an improvement on an old one? Yet many of us prefer a different brand of the same style, because it's proven to be a good bait, by thousands of anglers, and is less exspensive. Which allows several more manufacturer's to get in the same game. I always look at the new stuff, then I try to determine if it's really a advantage to use or just another pretty extra. Technology has definately made the sport Better, but it's also made it worse in some aspects. How many of you are die hard fisherman, meaning if you have a chance to fish you will, regardless of the conditions, or promise of catching a ton of bass? And then how many of you know a guy who has thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars of fishing equipment but won't even consider going out if it's not going to be a perfect day for it, or the moon isn't what they want? Well both types of anglers have a very big impact on the new technology.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.