Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-05, 06:55 PM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default For those who care!

Do any of you remember all those magnet questions I had? Well, I figured out part of my problem today as I was fishing in my back yard. I got a huge rats nest and had to cut it out. Well, that left my spool not dangerously low, but lower then what it was. After retying a weight and swivel to it, I began casting again, and found the rats nest and backlashes becoming fewer and fewer. Can anyone tell me why if you overspool your reel it does this.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 06:55 PM   #2
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: For those who care!

Oh....and this is a 6ft medium rod, with a 6.3-1 reel on it. Should I use this for my cranking rod? What do you guys recommend?
Old 01-25-05, 07:36 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Travis . You should have a 1/16th of an inch or more from the top of the spool showing when your reel is full.I still think your not setting your reel adjustments correctly.I found that I could not crank a 6.2:1 ratio slow enough.I look for something around a 19' or 21" line retreive per full turn of the handle.I am not always correct, but that seems to work best for me in both crankbaits and spinnerbaits unless I am burning them over weedbeds for smallmouth bass.Be sure to pinch your spinnerbait closed more for a faster retreive and open the arm up for a slower speed.Titanium wire does not allow you to do that . P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 08:18 PM   #4
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Again, all the little top hats of my brakes are off and mia somewhere, I read the directions that someone posted before, and followed them, and they worked pretty good. My tension is a little tight, but hey, its working.
Old 01-25-05, 09:37 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Travis, Those little top hats are your centrifugal weights.You set them according to the weight of the lure.The lighter the lure the more weights you unlock on the posts. The heavier the lure, the fewer weights you have unlocked.The reason is the lighter lures , a person has a tendacy to cast harder, so the lure leaves faster,which makes the spool turn faster resulting in a backlash because the spool turns faster than the light lure can travel keeping the line coming off the spool.There is a spool tension knob on the side of the reel, It is best to have that tight enough so if you hold the rod in front of you at a 45 degree angle and release the thumbar on the reel, the lure slowly falls to the floor but the spool doesn't overrun the line speed.If I have trouble with a reel, I set it so the lure doesn't even hit the floor until I get used to the reel. I hope this makes sense. There is alot of things that effect the casting, too much oil in the bearings, improper reel adjustment, person is loading the rod tip to cast further, line diameter and line memory also effects the cast as well as lure weight. I hope this helps you understand some things , if you don't understand , let me know and I will try my best to help you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.