Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-05, 11:48 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default jitterbugs

I've recently read that jitterbugs are great night baits but can't find out how they do during the day. Any info on using them during the day, i.e. different colors of water, times of the day,(daylight), sizes etc would be helpful, and how they have done for anyone.
thanks

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 01:01 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: jitterbugs

Bob, they will work great during the day-any place you would throw a topwater they will work. Â*I haven't thrown one in a long time, but they do work.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 03:03 AM   #3
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

???

hey!! here in Idaho I don't think I ever herd of a jitter bug.. what are they?? can anybody show me a picture or web site

2canbass
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 10:00 AM   #4
bassguy2004

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
Try this.
Old 02-04-05, 10:18 AM   #5
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

When I fist started using them, I retrieved in a constant manner, making the lure steadily go plop plop plop plop....thinking at that time that was how they were to be used. Then, also began varying the speed from time to time, but using the same speed throughout the retrieve. After watching a few fishing shows about retrieves in general, an intermittant pause was added. I truly thought I had mastered the bug. Several years later I fished with a friend who used the pauses as well, but also would occasionally yank the lure across the surface making it skip and splash.....such as a feeding fish might do chasing minnows. At other times, he'd cast and simply let it set in the water, letting the rings disappear before a couple of gentle twitches. All of this was done in the daytime.

mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 11:33 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1107485336;start=0#1 date=02/03/05 at 23:01:14]Bob, they will work great during the day-any place you would throw a topwater they will work. I haven't thrown one in a long time, but they do work.[/quote]

Reb you have got to tie one on. They are about the best bait availble IMO. There is never a doubt about the strike on one.

Yes you can use them during the day. Any color works, I prefer darker on overcast days, and lighter on sunny days. I use a perch color a lot during the day(yellow belly). Mac10 gave great info on some retrieves, there really isn't a bad one to use with it. You can work it like a popper, a straight retrieve, pauses, dead sticking etc..

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 12:21 PM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

My wife uses one a lot. I prefer a buzz bait because I can throw it into places you wouldn't think of throwing a Jitterbug, but she catches a lot of fish on it. She uses black late in the evening, and Frog in daytime.

(She has a hard time with a buzz bait because of her physical handicapps. She has a hard time picking the bait up as soon as it hits the water.)
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 12:53 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Reb you have got to tie one on.
You are right, Lizards-I threw one all the time as a kid but for some reason got away from using it.
Old 02-04-05, 07:26 PM   #9
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

What colors should you use most of the time?
I bought one in frog just because it loooked like it might work.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 09:54 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I rediscovered the Jitterbug 9 or 10 years ago, and ever since, it has been far and away my favorite topwater. I haven't attempted to test it against other topwaters, but I just have a huge amount of confidence in this lure to attract and trigger bites.

I just use one color, black, in the 3/8 oz. size, both regular and jointed. I'm not a morning guy, so I use them from sunset until dark and during the day when it's overcast.

The hooks are no good, so I replace them, plus I add split rings. And the lip can get loose easily, so I remove the screws and put a drop or two of super glue in the holes, then reinstall the screws.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 01:10 AM   #11
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

;DSWEET!!

I have seen these before my grandfather willed a bunch of these to me quite a few years ago..never seen them jointed before. never used them at night.. when the grandad used them he always pounded quality bass. I think I'll go pick a couple up..

thanks bassguy2004!
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 01:14 AM   #12
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

They're awesome for postspawn when the fish are shallow and gonna hit topwaters.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 02:25 AM   #13
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Thanks for the input, guys. I found 3 in my old tackle box and will be trying them this spring. I remember buying them about 25 years ago but never tried them. I found several other old plugs, maybe I'll try them too.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 01:15 PM   #14
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

The joys of jitterbugs. Like most of you I have 2-3 of these faded,beat up,loose hooked things stuffed in one of the old boxes. Man the memories- my uncle,dad and grandad would take me out w/ a bunch of worms bobbers, jitterbugs and feathered jig heads. Paddle the canoe or sometimes the rowboat and there I would sit. Worm and bobber- bluegills after bluegills. As I got older they let me start using the lures. My jitterbugs are probably 30 years old. Guess Ill buy new ones. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 01:54 PM   #15
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Ive been using a red/white and black/chrome ones, gotta get my kids started with them!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 02:58 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

You know, boys, I 'm seeing a pattern here. for us older guys(relative, I know ;D) we started using them as kids but then quit using them years ago when the newer baits came on the market. Maybe it't time to take another look at those oldies but goodies we all used to use. Anybody else remember the old grape Mann's jelly worms?
Old 02-05-05, 04:25 PM   #17

Grape Mann,s Jelly worm. Now thats a memory of great days gone by. Used them every trip untill Zoom came along. You can still buy the Mann's jelly worms, you know.
Old 02-05-05, 08:04 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i went to bass pro today and looked at some jitterbugs. those things are expensive!!!!!! it was almost 5 dollars for one
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 08:29 PM   #19
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

awww do what i did reclaim one. actually i have 3. but black works the best. remember when using these wait till the rod loads afore ya rip his lips off.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 09:39 AM   #20
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=flfireman link=board=news;num=1107485336;start=0#13 date=02/05/05 at 11:15:41]The joys of jitterbugs. Like most of you I have 2-3 of these faded,beat up,loose hooked things stuffed in one of the old boxes. 8)[/quote]

I have over 20 of them, the majority in Black. I prefer the 1/2oz size myself. It doesn't even include all of the Hocust Locust lures I have also, that have the same design on the front. The PLOP-PLOP-PLOP-PLOP sound it makes just make my spine tingle with anticipation of a monster strike. I actually paint some completely flat black(hooks and all) to use for night fishing.

bassfisher,

Yeah they cost a few bucks, but since they float, and it's a topwater, 99% of the time you can retrieve it, even if broken off. That is unless the Hawg took it, when she broke your line, which has happened to me before :'(

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 12:11 AM   #21
captain-hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to captain-hook

i have used jitterbugs ever since i stared fishing. it is one of my favorite top water baits. i like the frog color.
Burnzy
captain-hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 12:58 AM   #22
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i picked up a bunch of the new rattling jitterbugs.they don't work too good on the ice.hope they do better when the ice is gone. ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 03:28 AM   #23
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Yep. Jitterbugs, Heddon Injured Minnows, Heddon River Runt Spook Floater, Daredevils, Johnson Silver Minnows, Ding Bats, Hula Popper, Arbogaster, Sputterfuss, Hula Dancer. Creek Chub Wiggle Fish, (The bait George Perry caught the world record on.) Lazy Ike, Heline's Flatfish, Devils Horse, Lucky 13, Pikie, Cisco Kid, Hellbender, (Original) Bomber,

Anybody think of any more?
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 10:10 AM   #24
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

can't leave out boy howdys and crazy crawlers
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 09:45 PM   #25
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

In the early to mid-70s I used an Arbogast Razorback quite a bit. Like a Trap with a little spinner in back and without any rattles. I wonder if that was the first lipless crankbait in that familiar shape.

mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.