Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-04, 02:09 PM   #1

Default Weather Question

Just speaking VERY generally here, and assuming a medium-sized Southern reservoir, how does the temperature affect bass?

Cold weather: deeper or shallower? More or less active? Fish for them slower or faster?

I know there are a gazillion variables, but I'm asking just on the most elementary, basic terms.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-04, 05:08 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Weather Question

Cold weather - deeper. Less active except for maybe the early fall. Fish slower.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 08:31 AM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

depends on the lake actually. and where the bait fish-shad- are. i am still waiting for them to move shallow in high rock. slower for sure would use a jerk bait or a suspending crank bait of any kind.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 11:22 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=G Wallace link=board=news;num=1101316185;start=0#0 date=11/24/04 at 12:09:45]Just speaking VERY generally here, and assuming a medium-sized Southern reservoir, how does the temperature affect bass?[/quote]

Dramatically is shallower bodies of water IMO

Quote:
Cold weather: deeper or shallower? More or less active? Fish for them slower or faster?
Cold fronts/water usually means deeper and a lot slower presentations, very inactive fish.

Quote:
I know there are a gazillion variables, but I'm asking just on the most elementary, basic terms.

Thanks!
The fish's metabolism will slow down in colder water, which means LESS ACTIVE. Amazingly enough the Fish in the Northern part of the country actually live longer on average, but are smaller in size. Due to the warmer fish always being more active, and feeding regularly year round. I believe it's kinda like Hunting dogs. They run and run and run, and burn their bodies out quicker than the ones that are sitting on the porch

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 12:25 PM   #5

Default Re: Weather Question/Thanks

Thanks for your help, everyone. Although I'm not young, I'm pretty new at bass-fishing and didn't know whether it's worth it to go out on the lake in winter.

The problem is, I caught a 6 1/2 pound largemouth my last time out, and -- to borrow a phrase -- I'm hooked on it, and can't wait to get out on the water again.
Old 11-26-04, 04:02 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=G Wallace link=board=news;num=1101316185;start=0#4 date=11/26/04 at 10:25:06]Thanks for your help, everyone. Although I'm not young, I'm pretty new at bass-fishing and didn't know whether it's worth it to go out on the lake in winter.

The problem is, I caught a 6 1/2 pound largemouth my last time out, and -- to borrow a phrase -- I'm hooked on it, and can't wait to get out on the water again.[/quote]

Please feel free to join, it doesn't cost a dime And anytime I can fish, cold/hot/raining/snowing etc... is a good time to fish. Most of us have jobs so we fish when we can, which isn't nearly as often as it should be ;D ANd nice fish by the way, that a HAWG in anyones book.

Lizards
Old 11-26-04, 08:58 PM   #7
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1101316185;start=0#5 date=11/26/04 at 14:02:44]

Please feel free to join, it doesn't cost a dime Â*And anytime I can fish, cold/hot/raining/snowing etc... is a good time to fish. Â*Most of us have jobs so we fish when we can, which isn't nearly as often as it should be ;D Â*ANd nice fish by the way, that a HAWG in anyones book.

Lizards[/quote]

Thanks for the invite, Lizards... I just joined and it didn't hurt a bit.

Yeah, that 6 1/2 pounder was quite a surprise. My wife and I were on a fairly shallow 170-acre lake near here, just creeping the boat close to the shore and throwing little 3" chartreuse mister-twister type spinners towards brushpiles and stickups. We were catching plenty of small bass (less than a pound) and having fun, but I decided to make a few casts on the "wrong" side of the boat. The water there was deeper, but still only about 6 feet deep or so, and I let the lure settle all the way to the bottom, then yo-yo'ed it back. After only 3 - 4 casts, I knew I had a good fish... and you should've heard my wife gasp when I lifted that bass into the boat.

The bass was full of eggs -- or at least I think so, because her belly was VERY distended; it looked like a baseball in her gut. So we weighed her quickly and put her back into the water. She took off like a green torpedo...
UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 10:08 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

triton
yep ya got the bassin bug it is worst than crack. you will spend your every waking moment dreaming of catching a hawg. while spending money like it was not yours.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 11:24 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Triton link=board=news;num=1101316185;start=0#6 date=11/26/04 at 18:58:40]

Thanks for the invite, Lizards... I just joined and it didn't hurt a bit.

Yeah, that 6 1/2 pounder was quite a surprise. My wife and I were on a fairly shallow 170-acre lake near here, just creeping the boat close to the shore and throwing little 3" chartreuse mister-twister type spinners towards brushpiles and stickups. We were catching plenty of small bass (less than a pound) and having fun, but I decided to make a few casts on the "wrong" side of the boat. The water there was deeper, but still only about 6 feet deep or so, and I let the lure settle all the way to the bottom, then yo-yo'ed it back. After only 3 - 4 casts, I knew I had a good fish... and you should've heard my wife gasp when I lifted that bass into the boat.

The bass was full of eggs -- or at least I think so, because her belly was VERY distended; it looked like a baseball in her gut. So we weighed her quickly and put her back into the water. She took off like a green torpedo...[/quote]

Glad you joined, and welcome again Look forward to talkin some bassin with ya. Theres a ton of knowledgeable folks around here, and of course some rookies like myself also Join in, and let the FUN begin 8)

Lizards
Old 11-26-04, 11:51 PM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Welcome aboard. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.