Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-04, 02:58 AM   #1
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR
Default trolling motor height

I have seen lots of people with their trolling motor set very high in the water. Mine is normally all the way down, for no particular reason.

Do any of you guys have any strong feelings about the height setting of the trolling motor when fastening it to the front of the boat?

MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:25 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: trolling motor height

If the depth allows it I run mine as far down as possible. The main reason is that I skip plastics alot, and my boat you sit in a seat up front which is recessed from the trolling motor. Anyway The trolling motor creates an obstacle when side arm/skipping plastics. I really don't think it makes a big difference to the fish, unless it's stirring up the bottom. When fishing shallows I will run it up higher to avoid hitting the bottom and weeds. Even if I had a big bass boat, I probably would run it as far down as possible also. Why have another thing to get your line/rods/legs/feet/etc.. tangled on when not needed?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:43 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LOU,
Â* Â* Like LIZARDS said, the farther down you set it, the less you have in the road above deck. If depth is a problem, set it as shallow as you need to keep from hitting bottom.
Â* Â* In my case, due to the Kansas/Texas winds that I fish in, I keep it set as far down as possible. Wave action on the boat will cause the TM to come clear out of the water and back in again, which will create undue noise and scare fish. I could use a longer shaft TM to eliminate this problem, but then I would have too much of the motor sticking above the deck when fishing shallow.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:47 AM   #4
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

Thank, like I said basicly do the same, was just wondering why some guys have the thing very high.

How far away would you think the prop wash of the motor is still affecting the fish?
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 11:06 AM   #5
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i bought the maxxum74 with the longest shaft possible.i think it's 62in(something like that).i keep it high unless i'm in heavy wind with rollers.when i have it high the head is about 1 1/2-2 ft above the bow.i do hit it once in a while but not often enough to warrant putting it down all the way.i'd rather have the longer shaft and not need it than need it and not have it.
also i've cracked housings by keeping it all the way down on a couple of my old motors.i put electrical tape around the shaft at the top so it can't rest on the housing.i also wrapped electrical tape below to limit how high i can raise it to keep from damaging the transducer wire.
as far as prop wash,i think it just stirs up the weeds,maybe making it better because it moves crawfish,baitfish etc.
there are times i've actually fired up the big motor and done donuts in the weeds to stir things up.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 12:01 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I keep mine low so it is out of the way. If the wind is making waves high enough for it to be coming out of the water I really don't want to be out there.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 01:38 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1100671088;start=0#5 date=11/17/04 at 10:01:36]I keep mine low so it is out of the way. If the wind is making waves high enough for it to be coming out of the water I really don't want to be out there.[/quote]

Unless of course she's on top

Sorry couldn't help myself on that one ;D

Lizards
Old 11-17-04, 03:34 PM   #8
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LOU,
I wouldn't worry too much about the prop wash scaring the fish as long as you keep it running as low as possible and keep it on constantly. The thing that scares fish is the constant on and off and having the motor running too fast. I think as long as it is set on a constant speed the fish are used to the noise and prop wash before you get close enough to bother them.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 07:07 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree with jackl i am not on the tm alot. i do fish with it constantly on at times. but have been know to drift with the wind quite often. i have a 52" shaft on my tm it is set at about half way. i do set it very deep during the summer be cause of wake action. orther than that half way. yeah i have bounced a lure or two off the tm lid .

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:55 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Hey Lizards,

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 11:45 PM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

52" shaft, run it about 3/4 down, have on occasion stirred up the grasses and caught fish there after I passed. Where I fish you can be in 4-5 water and still smack a tree outta nowhere. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 11:33 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1100671088;start=0#9 date=11/17/04 at 19:55:07]Hey Lizards,

[/quote]

LMAO
;D

Lizards
Old 11-18-04, 10:25 PM   #13
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I really couldn't tell you. I set mine to where it "looks right". Since I tend to fish shallow water a lot, I guess it's fairly high up.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.