Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-07, 05:47 PM   #26
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I disagree with the aspect of education being important. Sure its important to me, to you, to 99% of people.
I was at the FLW Weigh in this last weekend in Austin TX, and only 1 of the top 10, ONE of them didnt have absolutely horrible grammar.
"I just seen that big ole bass hit and I caught it"
"I just done what I had to do"

Im sorry, I have a college degree, and so does every I work with, and if none of them speak like that. They may have degrees, but I wont call them educated
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 06:56 PM   #27
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky View Post
I disagree with the aspect of education being important. Sure its important to me, to you, to 99% of people.
I think everyone was pointing out that they need an education because the chances of making it as a pro are slim and they need another career to fall back on.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 12:56 PM   #28
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bassinkid,

The info that you have gotten here is great. There is another great source of info that maybe in your area. How close are you to Detroit? The FLW Tour will be there in July. The last two days of the tourney is great with the "Fun Zone." Alot of the pros are there. They are willing to talk and share tips and give advice on getting started. I got to see the event they had it at Kentucky Lake last year and it was really neat. FLW really blows Elite Series away when it comes to the weigh-in. FLW has a ton of stuff for the family and Bass does not. Just thought that would be a good source of information for you.

By the way, go to college and get a degree. If you want to be a pro, study something along the lines of fishery biologist. You may never be a professional angler or you may not always be a pro. A degree is a good fall back plan. Good Luck!!

Last edited by everettvet; 02-23-07 at 01:02 PM.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 01:15 AM   #29
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

Another thing to study for a future in Professional Bass Angling would be public speaking. Not only do you have to catch fish for a living, but you also have to speak on a stage and not make yourself look stupid. Easier said then done.

And to those who think winning is more important then being a good salesman, pick up the Bassmaster Angler Edition. They tell you what the high paid Bass Anglers make in Sponcership dollars. Kevin VanDam, the most consistant angler since Rick Clunn only made $200,000 last year from sponcers. Gerald Swindle, who's never won a BASS event, made $500,000. Mike Iaconelli, the Angler of the Year, made $300,000 last year. Skeet Reese made $600,000 doubling what Ike made, and trippling what KVD made.

Sales before skills. Write that down.
Old 02-24-07, 09:50 AM   #30
everettvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
Another thing to study for a future in Professional Bass Angling would be.

There is one thing that drives professional fishing. Marketing. You don't have to major in marketing but consider a minor in it. It is all about the sponsors being able to sell their product. A lot of people make fun of NASCAR drivers for the way the plug their sponsors during an interview, but that gets the product's name out there. Professional fisherman should take a few notes from the NASCAR drivers and the sponsors would love it.
The public speaking idea was great! There are organizations in high school that can help with that. The two that come to mind are 4-H and FFA. I was involved with both and learned speaking skills that I use in my daily life.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 02:57 PM   #31
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

looks like b-kid gave up on the pro idea..yep,there's a lot more to it than just catching fish(as if that isn't hard enough to do sometimes!).it anit all fun and games.
Old 04-25-07, 01:38 AM   #32
senko

... or you can be a real good fisherman and catch the world record!!! lmao jk that way you get a jump start on the other guys
Old 04-27-07, 11:48 PM   #33
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I dunno Senko, I don't think that guy from California is going pro. Infact, I think people are so stubborn about the previous record that anyone stepping up with a world record bass will be met with sceptisism.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.