Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-05, 11:24 PM   #1

Default bass & redfish in the same tank?!

Went to a Bass Pro Shops center, and saw Redfish & Largemouth Bass swimming in the same tank together.

how can this be?

seaphantom
Old 02-23-05, 12:38 AM   #2
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard
Default Re: bass & redfish in the same tank?!

i relly dont know sorry to say but it stumped me to
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 12:49 AM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Saltwater fish that live in inland waterways can adjust to non-saline water. It takes about 90 days to de-salinize them. They do this by switching the fish from water with more salt concentration to that with less and less salt concentration. In some lakes around here you'll find redfish that have adjusted to ffreshwater. Many places, the fish swam up rivers and got stuck in lakes.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 02:08 AM   #4
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Not uncommon in Fl like hula said. Ive even caught snook in fresh water. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 11:50 AM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Yep. It's not uncommon in tidal waters to find "salt" and "fresh" water fish together. The term for it is "brackish water".
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 02:40 PM   #6
GeeBeeJim

Stripers, Rainbow trout, Salmon, etc, can go either way Â*! Â* :
Old 02-23-05, 10:10 PM   #7
wish_for_fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Red Bass, Large Mouth Bass, and Striped Bass is the reason I love where I live! I fish the St. Johns River, and mostly all I do is Bass fish. For all Three. Today we caught Stripers, Reds, and Spotted Sea Trout. Here's a picture of one of the Stripers I caught today.
wish_for_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 07:56 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=XStreamFisherman link=board=MessBoards;num=1109125474;start=0#6 date=02/23/05 at 20:10:12]Red Bass, Large Mouth Bass, and Striped Bass is the reason I love where I live! I fish the St. Johns River, and mostly all I do is Bass fish. For all Three. Today we caught Stripers, Reds, and Spotted Sea Trout. Here's a picture of one of the Stripers I caught today. [/quote]

That's a nice striper;D I fished the St. Johns in Jan 03. It looked to be a great place to fish and rather large also. We of course were there when the temps were mid 30's in the am, so the bite wasn't too great. I noticed you had a 25HP moter on the boat in the picture. What size boat do you use, and do you have any problems with the current or the waves ??? Do you fish mostly the main river or the arms off of it? I'm heading down to FL in april, and we very well may end up on the ST Johns again, just trying to pick your brain a little.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:35 AM   #9
wish_for_fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards,
Thank you for the complement on the striper. The average size striper we catch is between 7 and 9 lbs this one weighed 11 lbs. I thought this one was a goner, she had me wrapped around a old piling but the quality line (mono) paid off. Normally we use power pro around pilings but the stripers have good eye sight and thats what we were targeting. As far as creeks vs. river that depends on the species I'm targeting and the time of the year. The river is where you will catch the red bass, striped bass, large mouth bass, flounder, and a large variety of other fresh and salt water fish. If your back in the creeks your limited to large mouth bass, if there are springs you will also find striped bass. In the river forget about the plastic worms. You want to go with plugs, grubs, and spinner bait (in that order). As far as the sport a red bass will out fight a large mouth any day and he will head straight to the dock, log, etc... to cut you off, the striper will out fight the red but will usually head toward deeper water where there are less snags.
Yes, the river gets rough when the wind blows. I lost out on a lot of fishing time because of the weather. The boat I use now is an old 15' 69 Arrow Glass with high sides that is rated for an 80 and had a 65 with a bad foot. I put a 25 that I had on it just to see if it would push it. To my suprise it runs 23 mph in fresh and 26 mph in salt water. I have a friend with a 39 thousand dollar boat who likes to go out in my boat because we use less gas and can go up into shallower water after the reds.
The river is large and hard to fish if you don't know it. I would highly recommend getting a guide to take you out. Use their equipment, pretend like you don't know nothing. They will spill more knowledge and take you to better spots then they would to someone that they're worried about coming back to their honey holes.
Old 02-24-05, 11:49 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=XStreamFisherman link=board=MessBoards;num=1109125474;start=0#8 date=02/24/05 at 07:35:56]Lizards,
Thank you for the complement on the striper. The average size striper we catch is between 7 and 9 lbs this one weighed 11 lbs. I thought this one was a goner, she had me wrapped around a old piling but the quality line (mono) paid off. Normally we use power pro around pilings but the stripers have good eye sight and thats what we were targeting. As far as creeks vs. river that depends on the species I'm targeting and the time of the year. The river is where you will catch the red bass, striped bass, large mouth bass, flounder, and a large variety of other fresh and salt water fish. If your back in the creeks your limited to large mouth bass, if there are springs you will also find striped bass. In the river forget about the plastic worms. You want to go with plugs, grubs, and spinner bait (in that order). As far as the sport a red bass will out fight a large mouth any day and he will head straight to the dock, log, etc... to cut you off, the striper will out fight the red but will usually head toward deeper water where there are less snags.
Yes, the river gets rough when the wind blows. I lost out on a lot of fishing time because of the weather. The boat I use now is an old 15' 69 Arrow Glass with high sides that is rated for an 80 and had a 65 with a bad foot. I put a 25 that I had on it just to see if it would push it. To my suprise it runs 23 mph in fresh and 26 mph in salt water. I have a friend with a 39 thousand dollar boat who likes to go out in my boat because we use less gas and can go up into shallower water after the reds.
The river is large and hard to fish if you don't know it. I would highly recommend getting a guide to take you out. Use their equipment, pretend like you don't know nothing. They will spill more knowledge and take you to better spots then they would to someone that they're worried about coming back to their honey holes.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips, and by the way welcome to the site, it's gets a little crazy around here once in awhile I'll be having a guide down on Lake O on 4/23, so we will fish the rest of the time on our own. I do appreciate the info, my boat is a 16' flatbottom, with a 15hp on it. I will most likely just stay in the channels and such since I'm fishing for LM anyway.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 12:20 PM   #11
wish_for_fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards,

Ah, Lake Okeechobee! I have some friends that live down there and fish it every weekend. One of them fishes the FLW Tour. Your best bet is to drift with live shiners (12&quot. But if your a lure guy like me, you'll want to use large plugs, and spinner baits if it's windy to locate the fish early in the morning. During the heat of the day cover the area you found fish with an 8"+ plastic worm (Lizard in your case).

Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading this board for over a year. I enjoy reading anything about fishing.
Old 02-25-05, 02:17 AM   #12
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=MessBoards;num=1109125474;start=0#2 date=02/22/05 at 22:49:23]Saltwater fish that live in inland waterways can adjust to non-saline water. It takes about 90 days to de-salinize them. They do this by switching the fish from water with more salt concentration to that with less and less salt concentration. In some lakes around here you'll find redfish that have adjusted to ffreshwater. Many places, the fish swam up rivers and got stuck in lakes.[/quote]

Woah Hula, you positive about that? Never heard of such thing, but glad to hear it!!

Nice striper, Xstream. I wish I lived on a large river. Welcome to the forum. You sound like the type of guy that there should be more of on this site.

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 10:49 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

xstream, what were u usin when u caught the striper and wat part of the saint johns were u fishin. i live in winter park and live not more than 20 minutes from lake monroe and lake jesup and that area. ive not fished the river alot but i have a few times.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 11:44 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Seaphantom, there is a lake just south of here that is becoming known for redfish, and it is a freshwater lake-they were stocked a few years back and are doing real well.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 02:37 PM   #15
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Nice fish Xstream!! I have heard of mix of salt/fresh water. I think that is what bays are, but it might be something else. There are certain places where they both mix and hold fish.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 09:42 PM   #16
wish_for_fish
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1109125474;start=0#12 date=02/25/05 at 20:49:12]xstream, what were u usin when u caught the striper and wat part of the saint johns were u fishin. i live in winter park and live not more than 20 minutes from lake monroe and lake jesup and that area. ive not fished the river alot but i have a few times.[/quote]

I live way North of you, up here in Jacksonville. Â*The St. Johns flows North and exits into the ocean here in Jacksonville. Â*I live in the South part of Jacksonville and where I mostly fish is 35 miles from the ocean. Â*The water is brackish here. Â*We catch warmouth, bluegill, large mouth bass, speckle perch, catfish(channel and white), shepshead, red bass, black drum, croaker, yellow mouth trout, spotted sea trout, stripers, white bass, hybrid bass, mullet, flounder, blue fish, sting rays, eels, blue crabs, gars, even an occasional tarpon, and I am sure there are plenty that I've left out. Â*When the shrimp run at the end of summer you wouldn't believe how far inland the saltwater fish come following the Shrimp. Â*We catch reds, sting rays while brim fishing as far South as Lake George. Â*I don't think you will catch any saltwater fish south of Lake George with the exception of mullet. Â*There are two major springs in Lake George, Silver Glen Springs, and Salt Springs. Â*I remember back in the '80s while bass fishing with a plastic worm I hooked into a small sharkÂ*way back in Julington creek. Â*I forget a lot of things but that's one thing that I'll never forget. Â*
The major advantage of brackish water is there is such a variety that you can fish all year targeting the most active species.
The stripers feed mostly on shad, I was using a bassassin shad jig.
Old 02-26-05, 10:52 PM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i want to take a trip up there in the summer. i agree with the brakish water. it does hold alot more fish.u wont catch any saltwater fish way down here.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.