Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-05, 09:58 AM   #1
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster
Default Clear water Lakes

Once again I solicit the opinions of the experience of this site. Next weekend finds my boat fishing a tourney on a lake that is as clear as it gets, regaurdless of rain or whatever. This is an older lake, that holds some real pigs. Problem is, these fish are notorious for being extremely hard to catch. I have had some success in the past there with brown jigs, and watermelon trick ad finese worms with the tails dipped. I know this is common knowledge and it will be the bait that is fished by every boat on the water saturday.. Given this, anyone got any idea as to what else to try? The water temps will probably be in the mid 60's, and super clear. I know where the fish general are here, but getting them to bite, especially after they have seen a million of the same baits will be tough. I am willing to go out on a limb here, as I am tired of fishing in the "middle of the pack" Thanks for all your input....tight lines.
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 10:05 AM   #2
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default Re: Clear water Lakes

if you now charlies worms then you will now that they have something called a twitchin shad get this in firetiger it works the best trust me i have fished a lake like this and have used this and i cought 2 six pounders and a whole mess of 2 pound plus bass so try it.

Tell us the out come please!
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 03:05 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

For whatever reason not a lot of folks fish zipper style of worms ??? They are one of my go to baits when the bite gets tough. Probably because not many people use them. I've so far also seem to find that when watching folks fish tourneys, and practice for tourneys(limited exposure), but everyone is flying around trying to cover all the water. I understand there are "POWER" fishermen and "FINESSE" fisherman. But just slowing down many times will bring the bite to you. I unfortunately will have no control over the boat in my tourney's but hope to get with a couple of folks who don't think we have to cover all the lake in 8 hours. Face it, if you haven't already looked at the lake and got a game plan based on seasonal patterns, then you will have to cover the whole lake. Fish usually aren't gonna be really deep in spring through early summer. So fishing 20feet of water isn't the most productive method to use here IMO. I also have had lots of luck with wht/chrt double bladed spinners baits in clear water(I fish a coal pit a lot). I use a two willow leaf blade in gold, and silver. Usually a 1/2 oz is my choice.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 03:13 PM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Watermelon/red speedworms minus the tails texposed on 2/0 weightless worm hooks.......slowfall to bottom, wait 30 seconds, lift to feel for fish.....if nothing on, reel in and re-cast. Â*These lures cast like a bullet, skip well and can be wacky rigged and fished that way also. Â*Goes right along with what Lizards said.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 06:27 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hey bnd
which lake?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 10:59 AM   #6
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

Mayo
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 03:02 PM   #7
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Awww, Lake Mayo.
We've always done good with small Carolina rigs. Jigs in the 3/8 or smaller sometimes work. If you match the color of the water, then small crankbaits may be your choice . Small spinnerbaits can catch fish (no more than 3/8 oz.) white skirt w/ chrome blades. You may wish to split shot a lizard or any other finnesse bait. In Mayo there are some big rocks, so bring extra baits.

Note: Watch out for the high spot off the island towards the power plant. It can really get your attention, not to even mention the attention of your lower unit.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.