Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-04, 01:30 AM   #1
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default Panther Martin Frogs

Just picked up the panther martin holographic frogs, also some henson brand. These things look like the real thing. Good size, different weights 1/2, 3/8, 1 oz. BPS had about 10 different color combos. They have a round or egg shaped body with realistic looking rear legs and a single weedless hook on the underbody. These are soft bodied but firmer than a soft plastic. My buddy introduced me to them last time we were out. Nice casting, no hangups, legs look similar to real frog action. Slow retreive with a pause and a flip of the tip w/ another pause. Multiple hits and boated a few also. All these were hard strikes. Just picked up a clear w/ foil and black markings, a beige/clear w/ black markings and a green w/ yellow markings, also black. Ill repoprt back later on how they are working w/ some different scenarios. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 10:16 PM   #2
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: Panther Martin Frogs

That lure goes back a long way. Here's a review from tackle Tour:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpmfrog.html
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 11:53 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Nice site, didnt realize they have been around for a while. 8)
Old 11-27-04, 08:56 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

It does look like a lifelike frog . However I must say looking at the setup, I would have some serious reservations about trying to pull it through the slop without it getting caught up. I have never really cared for the "weedless wire" trick. If the wires are too thin, they don't really help, and when you get them thicker and stronger, then it affects the hookset IMO. I would have preferred they use the Jig type weedguard instead of the wire. Just more gaps and holes to pick up or catch on IMO. I am really interested in how it actually performs in the water around the heavy stuff, please let us know after you've been using them for awhile. Who knows I could be jumping to conclusions here that aren't correct :-/

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:24 PM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Went out today, Like I said I would get back with ya'll. Went to Blue Cypress impoundment today. Large mix of sawgrass, hyacinths,lily pads, trees and submerged all of the above. Today was nice, water calm,0600 hrs, little to no wind. Heres what I found:
Sawgrass- at water level it bumps and goes around w/o any problems, if you get snagged through the middle it will grab but was able to pull it or rip the sawgrass blade and keep going. 2-3 dinks.
hyacinths- worked well, did get hung up a few times coming through heavy patches. 3-4 bass caught in little open areas between patches.
lily pads- 0 problems, hopped them on top and dropped them through the middle. Actually caught one bass while I had the legs hanging off a pad. (Taking a drink)
Trees- besides trying to catch the ever elusive tree bass, more than once. Casting past and bringing it up to the tree worked well. Also found that If the tree was close to shore, I would cast on the bank and bring it to the tree- good results 2 bass about 4-5# each.
Submerged cover wasn't an issue-topwater frog.
Only real problems I had was:
Do have to wait for the fish to engulf the frog- lost a few doing a quick strong hookset.
If there is any floating algae or grass it will pick this up and drag it.
Wire leader (9", Im lazy), not good will cause the frog to dip forwards and sink. Removed the leader and tied directly to the frog and it stays snout and eyes up at water level. Hopefully this will answer any curiousity questions. 8)
Old 12-02-04, 11:35 AM   #6
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

flfireman,
On my last trip to bass pro shops I picked up a couple of these, although I have not been able to try them yet your post has given me some confidence that I made a wise buy . How do the legs hold up, this is my main concern since they seem kind of flimsy(spelling?)?

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 09:01 PM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

As I posted, the other day was my first outing with them. For right now they still look like they came out of the package. As I use them more Ill probably post more about reliability and strength. 8)
Old 12-02-04, 09:53 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Hey Fireman,

Just curious, since the hook is on the underside, are the fish you're catching hooked in the lower jaw?
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 10:08 PM   #9
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Hooked fish lower and upper. Most were on the side. Dont know if when they strike they knock it sideways or when they swallow, it turns. 8)
Old 12-02-04, 10:28 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hose holder
bass hit frogs like they do lizards very hard and decisive. i had a bass knock one ten feet in the air. only to hit it again when it landed. the whole trick is if ya fool a bass in to hitting it and he missed don't move the line. twitch it twice after the miss the same bass will grab it with attority.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 11:05 AM   #11
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Zook,
That is a good point, I have found that it applies pretty much to any topwater situation ;D.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.