Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-05, 11:07 AM   #1
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P
Default spring,sunnyday,no clouds..do the fish seek shade?

It seems sometimes when I fish on my boat in mid-afternoon in the spring its harder to catch a fish verses
later that day when the sun gets past the trees and creates some shade.I know they are starting to get into
the spawninging patterns,Its just confusing at times cause I know there not a big fan of the sun.Am I wasting my time fishing in mid-day.I also target the shady sides of my targets.Im going to a busy lake today
here in Ohio Ceasars Creek.So I dont know if I should wait and go later in the afternoon or early?Any advice
would help thanks Denny_Ohio
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 12:46 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: spring,sunnyday,no clouds..do the fish seek sh

DENNY,
Thats what is usually refered to as "Bluebird Skies" and usually follows a weather front. Fish generally pull back tight to cover, and develop "lockjaw." Fish tight to cover, downsize your lures and fish very, very slow!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 02:47 PM   #3
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

Targeting shade is a good idea,but also try carolina riggin offshore structure, I have huge success with that in mid-day.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 03:10 PM   #4
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

deeper fish and those that are spawning are less affected by these conditions as well.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 03:34 PM   #5
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks to you guys for the advice.Im leaving for the lake now 2:33pm.It will take an hour to get there..I wish
JB was going but my wife loves the water too..oh well
I will give a report when I get home.Im hoping it being mothers day the lake might be calmer.....I hope.I did the mother's thing Sat............take care
Denny
Old 05-09-05, 02:29 PM   #6

Find a shady cove with stumps or brush of som kind

try a jerk bait in arkansas shiner throw it on the shady side of the stump or brush let it sink and work it SLOW!
Old 05-09-05, 03:13 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Well he must be catchin some cus I dont see him anywhar grindin' steel LOL
Each dif. time of year makes the bite a little dif.
In early spring many a angler go out early or late, but actually the bite is during the heat of the day, later on like now I imagine its a waiting game,, they feed for awhile and then are idle.
Just ask any tournament fisherman, they usually are asked at weigh in what time they got bit, and for me up in oHIo the bite from lets say 11 a.m. to about 2-3 can be mighty slooooow
So dont give up Denny, those rugged good looks will pay off someday with a big catch......... lol
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 04:43 PM   #8
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Jb,Your silly...lol..lol. Well guys I went to the lake and targeted the shade,stump,lay down, and went out in the sun for some spots.I was throwing a white spinnerbait with willow blades (silver blades) A jerkbait
blk/orange and chrome, a chrome rat-l-trap,bomber firetiger crankbait, and a chartrues crank med.diver.no
takers on those baits so slowed way down and went to a cove to trow at some fallen trees,I trew a whit Zoom
fluk and a pumkin creature bait by gary Yomo.And so thats about it I fishede for 3 hrs and there was a lot of boat traffic.I talk to Jb and he thinks they were spawning..that was kinda what I was thinking myself.
In a nut shell I chalk it up to exp. ;D
Again thanks for the advice Denny
Old 05-09-05, 04:53 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Look at it this way Denny,
Ya probably found some new cover to explore and work over next timeFinding new stuff is almost as exciting as crossin' her eyes with a big ol hook set!
theres always tomorrow ;D
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 05:58 PM   #10
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree ;D It would be nice to catch some fish,but to me just being on the water is relaxing to me.The only prob.
I had this time was everytime I seen a Wave Runner
I was mentally seeing it blow up (as I whisper in my head..please God forgive me)...Oh well I cant wait to start getting up at 4:am to take off to the lake...before
the madness starts.sirenity now sirenity now (seinfeld)
Im kidding really.......all take care...Jb there is always tommorrow . Denny
Old 05-09-05, 06:42 PM   #11
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i normally don't hit docks very early for 2 reason's #1 i like fishing points and humps early. and #2 thar just aint no honeys trying to catch a tan on the docks till about 11 am or so..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 08:20 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

IMO there isn't a correct or incorrect answer to the shade issue. I've caught bass on bluebird days, on buzzbaits in the middle of the lake with no cover at all. I also like to target shady areas duirng the day, because it gets me out of the sun for awhile LOL. Bass will start feeding when they are hungry or if something sets them off. They can school in the day in the middle. Bass MOST of the time are ambushers. They will hide in the shadows, because it's easier to see out into the lighter areas, and harder to see from the lighter areas into the darker areas, ergo they are waiting for something to come by close enough for a easy meal. However a bass won't leave the west side of the lake to go to the east side of the lake just because it has more shade. But if they decide to eat, or even just cruise, they will whether there is sun or not. TIMING IS EVERYTHING, and if they are feeding they are easier to catch, if not, as JackL the all knowing has already said, fish slow and tight to cover. If the bass are spawning, that means shallow water, and reaction baits do work. Especially on the buck bass. However it less likely to work on the female on the nest. Everytime out you learn something different

zooker,
you're just like that zoom bait, a horny toad ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 06:38 PM   #13
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks to all for the words and advice
good day and good fishing

Denny

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.