Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-05, 09:49 AM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Advice For the New Guys: Lure Techniques

Lets get this one going like we did Lones!

First off, the most basic bait you can get are plastic worms. These also produce the most fish year round. Companies that make great worms, are Yum, Zoom, Wave Worms Tiki sticks or Dip Sticks, and Strike King. There are 3 basic rigs that I will explain, The first is The Texas Rig, this is probably the most popular way to fish a worm. It involves sliding a bullet weight on the line, tying the hook using the palomar knot(i find it to be the strongest). For hooks, it depends on the bait itself, thin bodied baits, I would just use a regualr offset shank worm hook. For thicker bait(tiki stiks and senkos) I would use and Extra Wide Gap, or EWG. Then, you place the worm on the hook. To do this, you poke the hook point into the head of the worm, slide it about a 1/4 inch, then bring the hook point out. Then slide the head of the worm up onto the top of the hook, and then bury the hook point into the body of the worm. This is the most weedless lure that I fish.
The second rig is a carolina rig. This requires a 3ft leader. But before we even put that on, you need to put a egg sinker with a bead bleow it on the main line, then tie on a barrel swivel, or do a direct tie, which I believe most guys do. Then you take a 3ft or so leader of flurocarbon, because it is invisible underwater. Then tie an EWG hook(i find that when taking up the line you get a better hookset with an EWG.) Then you place the worm on the hook the same way you place it on the texas rig. The most popular baits for a carolina rig are a Lizard. I use Zoom Super Salty Lizards, or a YUM Zellamander.
The last basic rig, I use the most, is a Weightless Worm rig. This is best done using stick baits, like a SENKO, or Tiki Dipstick or Tiki Stick. I prefer the Kinami Flash, even though they are the same thing, and just about the same price per worm as Senko. I just buy thembecause it is more convienent. Anyways, you just tie a hook to your main line, I use the palomar knot. Then place the worm on the hook the same way that you did with the texas rig or carolina rig. The key here is a slow retrieve, most strikes come on the fall, I personally like to let it sit for up to 5 minutes after the initial fall, raise the rod tip and let it fall then deadstick it again. I do this all the way back to the bank/boat.
These are 3 Basic Rigs For Plastics I know that there are probably a ton more. I am looking for people to help me post up this information. I need someone to post Jig techniques and Crank techniques and Poppers. If you would want to post anything for those lures, or correct me on anything feel free to do so, I figure these posts will stop people from asking Q's like how to fish a texas rig, or stuff like that.
-------------More To Come---------------------
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 11:03 AM   #2
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Advice For the New Guys: Lure Techniques

Buzzbaits-- probably the most exciting bait to throw. I usually use a mini pro buzz, by strike king. I use this size, because most guys use the 3/8 or larger sizes, and i feel that the fish get accustomed to it. Dont get me wrong I wont hesitate to throw out a larger one though.My main retrieve is generally a slow one. I barley have the blades breaking th e surface, just enough to make a little wake. I feel this give the fish more of chance to strike at it, because bass are very lazy in the summer, In the spring I will burn a Buzz over the water. My prefered colors are white and chartruese with a nickel blade. I will also try to break in a buzbait, by holding them out of the window of the truck on the way to the lake or pond. I feel that the squeakier the bait the better. Also, try to target structure with these baits, throw them in lilly pads, lay downs, anything that looks "bassy". At night I will even throw out into open water.

--------------------more to come-----------------------
Old 06-26-05, 11:08 AM   #3
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Poppers--- A very fun lure to throw. This too is a top water lure. I like to cast parallel to the banks, when i fish(i fish from shore). I will then let it sit there until all the rings disappear. Then I will slowly pop it back to me. After each pop, Wait until the rings disappear. Also, If the fish are super active, I wouldnt hesitate to do a constant popping retrieve back to me. I use Rapala Skitter Pops. I use the balsa style because I feel you get better action. Also make sure there is a feathered treble on the back. When the lure pops, the feathers come together, but when it stops the feathers open up. I beleive this convinces the bass to strike.

-------more to come---------------------
Old 06-26-05, 01:44 PM   #4
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

How to fish texas rigs
There are two basic teqniques, the most widely used the slow stop and go retrieve.
Stop and go
Cast the rig near cover, and let it sink to the bottom, and let it sit for around 30 seconds(depends on what the bass want but usaully the slower the better). Raise your rod tip from the 10 o clock postition to the 11:30 position slowly. Let it sit again do this all the way back to the shore or your boat.
Swimming
This some times can get lots of fish if they are activally feeding or nothing else is making them bite. Cast the rig near cover, and reel it in slowly. If its not producing then mix it up and do a fast stop and go. In worm fishing, you realy just have to expiriment and find out what the fish want. The more time you spend on the water, you will know when to apply these tactics.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 11:12 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

What about the Wacky Rig, The Mojo Rig, and the Split Shot Rig ???

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 12:14 AM   #6
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey lizards whats a mojo rig?
Old 06-28-05, 09:11 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=guacomole link=board=MessBoards;num=1119790198;start=0#5 date=06/27/05 at 23:14:00]Hey lizards whats a mojo rig?[/quote]

Here's a link to the Mojo website showing the rig.
http://websearcht.cs.com/cs/boomfram...jolures.com%2F

A Mojo-Rig is a variation of the split shot rig. Mojo is a "STYLE" of weight. It's actually called a Mojo weight. It is slender and barrell shaped. You put it on just like a Bullett weight, and peg it above the hook anywhere from 6"-36". It slides through the vegetation a lot easier than a split shot, and still allows the bait to have a good action. Much like the Carolina-Rig except without the noise, and less hang ups. You can also use a leader and a swivel and allow the weight to move freely(don't peg it), giving a slight clicking noise. I really love this rig in the weeds, and with a Senko hooked up weedless. Of course Lizards, and any other plastic will also work.

OH YEAH, don't forget the Florida-Rig also that is a t-rig except with a screw in or snap on type bullett weight.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 09:21 AM   #8
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1119790198;start=0#4 date=06/27/05 at 22:12:04]What about the Wacky Rig, The Mojo Rig, and the Split Shot Rig ???

Lizards[/quote]

lizards, Im sorry,

Here is how you wacky rig, Tie a size 1 or 2 hook on to your main line. Then, bend the worm in half to find the center. Poke the hook through the center. Then what you do, is cast it far. Then a slow retrieve back. You can hop it, drag it or swim it back. Best doen on spinning gear, but soem do it on a caster.
Old 06-28-05, 09:40 AM   #9
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

I will say this again, and again, and again, and again for those of you that have ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER!

All of this stuff is covered in great detail in the "ARTICLES" section of this site, if anyone would bother to read it. (And you don't have to put up with bad spelling and bad punctuation)

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 09:48 AM   #10
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JackL link=board=MessBoards;num=1119790198;start=0#8 date=06/28/05 at 08:40:02]

Â* Â* I will say this again, and again, and again, and again for those of you that have ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER!
Â* Â*
Â* Â* All of this stuff is covered in great detail in the "ARTICLES" section of this site, if anyone would bother to read it. (And you don't have to put up with bad spelling and bad punctuation)

JackL[/quote]

Jack,
the reason im trying to do this, is because nobody reads the articles, and i figured that maybe instead of them asking questions They will read these posts
Old 06-28-05, 12:58 PM   #11
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

http://www.bassfishin.com/articles.htm

Didnt see anything in there about wacky, mojo or split shot rigs. Had some basic seasonal and lure tips that are good though.
Old 06-28-05, 01:16 PM   #12
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

POWERBASS,

Havn't you learned by now that they do not want to learn, they only want to ask questions. They absolutely will not go back and read the prior posts to see if thier questions have already been asked. Last week the same question was asked three differnt times during the week and if any one of them had read back five or six posts, they could have read the answer before they posted. A.D.D.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 03:29 PM   #13
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats true, but thats why we need to have stickies and a set of rules on this site. In all the other message boards Ive been to about stuff other than fishing(skateboarding, paintbaling, cars) and fishing, they have stickies saying if you make posts like this, in yabb's case whats the best bait, you will be warned. If you get x number of warnings you will be banned. When those posts do pop up the mods usually delete them.

thanks for the mojo info lizards.
Old 06-28-05, 04:04 PM   #14
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

Jack- you crack me up man, damn that's funny. I agree with you, it is either A.D.D or maybe schools out for the summer. LOL
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.