Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-05, 09:51 AM   #1
RatherBeFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RatherBeFishin
Default nose happy

do all bass boats sky the front end in the process of getting up on trim, i wanted a bassboat but test drove a 16ft javelin with a 70hp outboard and it felt like it came up about 4 ft in the front, was told it looked bad from shore (and owner was driving)

are some less than this?

thanks
RatherBeFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 10:55 AM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: nose happy

RACER,

The only boats I have seen that do not do this are Skeeters that are equipped with the Yamaha motor with the twin prop lower unit. There is no bow rise, they just go.
There are ways to minimize this condition, but you will never eliminate it. You can install some type of "Whale Tail", such as Dole-Fin (Which is sold at BPS & Cabelas, and some Wal Mart stores) that attaches to the cavitation plate of the motor. This will bring the nose down a little quicker.
Do not worry about that problem, all outboard boats do it.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 11:17 AM   #3
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote author=racer34v link=board=Boats;num=1119444706;start=0#0 date=06/22/05 at 08:51:46]was told it looked bad from shore [/quote]

Are you looking for something to fish out of, or something to look good in? If you are worried more about looking good than you are catching fish, then good luck catching anything.

Oh yeah, don't get mad when I wave at you in my POS boat holding up a bass ;D
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 11:18 AM   #4
RatherBeFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

cool , thanks

new to power boats, my john-boat and sears trolling motor never made had any bow rise.... lol.....

alan
Old 06-22-05, 11:19 AM   #5
RatherBeFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

looked bad meaning it was gonna nose over, not looked out of style
Old 06-22-05, 12:20 PM   #6
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

oh, my bad. Just as JackL said. every boat does that. Maybe he gave it too much gas when you started out. That will cause it to raise up a lot more than normal. Sounds to me like he was trying to show off a little to try and impress you.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 10:37 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Yeah-mine points the nose up until it gets up on the plane, and then levels out. It's normal for them to do that.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 10:44 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

we have a tiller.....and im not sure...but with those if you have alot of bow rise....we adjust the position of the motor(raise or lower it) and it seems to smooth out.....not sure if the same applies to yours....but i would think it would....
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 11:22 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

It's probably the tilt/trim you are referring to, 02. You are correct-trimming the motor up or down effetcs the height of the bow when on the plane, but getting up on the plane always points the nose up a bit.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 08:27 PM   #10
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

try an older 20ft gambler with a 150hp...the nose comes right up...that's why they put trim tabs on the newer models.
it's just something bass boats do...some more than others.especially if it's underpowered
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 02:56 PM   #11
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

My Stratos (285 Pro XL) does this only when the live wells and boh gas tanks are full. Normally any boat will rise some, but like someone stated, if you have the right power plant on it, it will come up on plane a lot faster. I know my 175 gets it up and on plane with no problem. Look on the USCG plate beside the steering wheel in the Javelin. It will tell you what the max HP for tht particular boat is. Chances are, the max HP was originally on it, and this guy may have swapped out motors. If the plate says 150HP Max, and he has a 70 HP on it, you may want to start asking a few questions. Oh yeah, tell the owner to make sure the trim is all the way down....lol & tight lines
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 04:57 PM   #12
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

i think he guned it to quick.but all boats raise some,also get a trim tail around 25$ easy to install
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 09:04 AM   #13
RatherBeFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

cool, thanks guys..... still looking for a boat.... i'm too cheap
Old 08-06-05, 06:32 AM   #14
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All boats have tendency to bring the nose up, some more than others. Its a natural for them to do this. What is goin on is when the boat is sitting still the boat is lower in the water than when running. When you hammer on the throttle the boat has to get on top of the water so to speak so therefore the front being lighter than the bacxk it naturally rises. After the boat has gotten on top and the forward force of the motor has started to equalize the boat will level out till you hit the trim then the nose will rise again. Again some boats do it more than others. Depending on what boat,motor,prop you have determines how much rise you have in the nose.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-05, 08:01 AM   #15
racer34v
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to racer34v

woah..... i made this topic, but my name never was RatherBeFishin... whats up with that
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.