Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-05, 10:56 PM   #1

Default Choke Canyon

Weather was beautiful! No wind, partly cloudy, temp around 80-85 and water temp around 80-82. We launched at the 99 bridge fished the left bank after going under the bridge. Fishing was slow! we boated about eight, using a baby brush hog dipped in red garlic spike it, none of them of any size though. The bite seems to be really active in the morning and the evening. The evening you can kill the bass in the backs of coves, using grass frogs. Getting the bass hiding under the grass to strike accurately takes patience though. We are going tomorrow again, but are putting in at the calliham Unit area. This is a first, but we thought we would try something new. If anyone has any tips about fishing anywhere else on choke besides the 99 bridge area, it would be greatly appreciated.

tenpoundking Out!
Old 06-02-05, 11:50 PM   #2
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010
Default Re: Choke Canyon

I like Four fingers, but it is usually pounded pretty well. On the South Shore there is a large tank dam that has produced for me some in recent years, but I haven't checked it out in the last few trips. Can't share the really good areas until after my tournament this month.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 11:54 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Haven't been down in a few weeks-is the hydrilla matting on the surface yet? I'm thinking it probably is.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 03:38 AM   #4
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

I will let you know in a couple of weeks if you don't make it down before that. Well, 10 days, now. I am hoping to find just a few good fish.
Old 06-03-05, 07:59 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Nitro911 link=board=Reports;num=1117418187;start=0#1 date=06/02/05 at 22:50:27] Can't share the really good areas until after my tournament this month. [/quote]

Now there's a competitor
;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 04:24 PM   #6
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

you can tell us we wont spill the beans
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 06:41 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

It probably wouldn't make a lot of sense to most of y'all since you don't fish that lake. Nitro has shared a couple of spots with me and I've given him a couple.

Nitro, we definitely need to hook up and fish that lake.
Old 06-03-05, 09:16 PM   #8
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm ready.
Old 06-05-05, 10:00 PM   #9

We pounded choke again last weekend with little success, and yes the hydrilla is growing quick. I caught three total, one deep and two off the edges of the hydrilla. I was using a Watermellon red senko with the tail dipped in red spike-it, no weight. The bass seemed to like it! I am not real confident with fishing deep for bass so I stay fairly shallow, 4-12 feet. We are thinking about getting a guide service to show us around some hot spots and where the deep holes to fish are located. I hear alot about these tank dams. What exactly is this and how do you locate them? I know I sound like a beginner but I just got stationed down here and love to bass fish and am not real familiar with the area. I like getting tips from other people to get familiar with the local lakes as quick as possible. I feel Texas will produce my 10+ Bass, and choke is going to produce it.
Old 06-05-05, 10:09 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Rick, I hung one close to if not 10 back in February, so they are in there. Â*In Texas farm ponds are called tanks, and the tank dam is the same thing as a pond dam. Â*The best way to locate them is to first get a topo map of the lake which are available that show the tanks that were flooded when the lake was filled and then use your electronics to find them. Â*I haven't fished it near as much as I'd like and have only been fishing it for a year or so, but I'm beginning to learn it.

If you have a GPS unit I can give you some coordinates for the tank dams. Heard the wind was pretty bad down there Saturday.

Where are you stationed?
Old 06-08-05, 06:37 PM   #11
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Rick...

Go to Academy and get a Top Spot map. Those things are loaded with information. And if you will sign up and send me a message, I can give you some more information. You too, tenpoundking. I saw both of you had posted at WMI. I will help where I can.
Old 06-08-05, 06:39 PM   #12
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

And the reason I won't tell is I am the tournament director...I don't want the complaint coming in that I shared info with some but not all. Just in case one of these guys is in the thing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.