Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-05, 12:37 AM   #1
baass_man
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to baass_man
Default What would be a good line?

What would be a good line to put on a 6'6" med-hvy rod that i would mainly is for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits? I'm thinking iron silk about 12lb. is that a good choice. I would like some opinions. thanks
baass_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:38 AM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: What would be a good line?

spinning or baitcaster?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:40 AM   #3
baass_man
BassFishin.Com Member

also what would be a goodline to use on a spinning rod that i would use soft jerkbaits. I"m thinkin fireline?
Old 02-21-05, 12:41 AM   #4
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

I'm a power pro guy myself I love this line, and you can water ski with it n you aint catching ish "If y know what I mean"

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:41 AM   #5
baass_man
BassFishin.Com Member

THe spinnerbait rod is a baitcaster and the soft jerkbait is a spinning
Old 02-21-05, 12:46 AM   #6
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

in jersey i'd go 8 on spinning and 12 on bc.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 02:05 AM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

PowerPro.

It will work on anything you put it on. I use 20# on all my spinning gear, with 0 problems.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 02:39 AM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

[quote author=AMJBassAnglers1 link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#0 date=02/20/05 at 22:37:22]What would be a good line to put on a 6'6" med-hvy rod that i would mainly is for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits? I'm thinking iron silk about 12lb. is that a good choice. I would like some opinions. thanks[/quote]

12 lb would be great, but I would avoid Iron Silk like the plague. It is absolutely the worst line I have ever used. It handled great, but broke if you looked at it wrong. I lost both lures and fish, and will never put it on a rod again unless they do a major overhaul of it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 02:44 AM   #9
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#7 date=02/21/05 at 00:39:33]

12 lb would be great, but I would avoid Iron Silk like the plague. Â*It is absolutely the worst line I have ever used. Â*It handled great, but broke if you looked at it wrong. Â*I lost both lures and fish, and will never put it on a rod again unless they do a major overhaul of it.[/quote]

I agree. Do not simply avoid Iron silk, RUN from it. It is absolutly terrible. 0, and I mean ZERO, tensile strength. I tested it. 12# broke with only 5# of pull.PitifulÂ*.I just thought about looking at it and it broke.

ok, maybe thats an little exageration, but you get the point.

Charles
Old 02-21-05, 04:10 PM   #10
baass_man
BassFishin.Com Member

ok thanks for ur input
Old 02-21-05, 04:12 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

You may wish to try Stren Fluorocarbon. It works well with crankbaits, jigs and worms.
Use Stren Extra Strength mono for topwater baits and any baits that you expect a reaction strike.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:42 PM   #12
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=AMJBassAnglers1 link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#2 date=02/20/05 at 22:40:52]also what would be a goodline to use on a spinning rod that i would use soft jerkbaits. I"m thinkin fireline? [/quote]
I've done a lot of soft jerkbait fishing over the last 15 years, most of it with 10# mono, which worked out very well. Last year I put 14# Fireline on one reel due to that reel inducing twist with mono, and the Fireline worked out very well also.

But hey, in my opinion, any decent line will work fine as long as you're fishing where the bass are, which is easier said than done.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 01:55 AM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=AMJBassAnglers1 link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#2 date=02/20/05 at 22:40:52]also what would be a goodline to use on a spinning rod that i would use soft jerkbaits. I"m thinkin fireline? [/quote]

I love Fireline, but for spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits I use 12lb mono, either Trilene XL or Stren. The mono floats better for the topwater action, and is a little more forgiving for hooksets IMO. Don't get me wrong Fireline IS MY FAVORITE LINE, but I prefer mono for the application of spinners and buzzbaits. Of course I also prefer a Medium rod as oppsed to a MH. I personally would use that rod for worms/c-rig/t-rig/weightless. This is just my preference though.

Lizards

macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 05:03 PM   #14
Bassmasterjr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassmasterjr

On 4/18/03, caught a 10lb., 4oz. beauty on Lake Fork using 12lb. iron silk. The reel was a Shimano Calcutta TE200GT. Iron silk seems to be pretty much like any other mono line - nothing special. But the reel...as far as I'm concerned, THERE'S NO BETTER REEL!!! If i'ts adjusted right for the weight of the lure you really have to try like hell to get it to backlash. It is pretty expensive but worth every penny if you're serious about fishing
Hey Charles! You said you use PowerPro on your spinning reels with no problems. I think I've used damn near every mono line on the market to cut down on line twist. Think I'm going to try PowerPro on a spinning and baitcasting rig on the next trip to Fork in mid April. Haven't used braided line since the '60s. Is it really that good? I can see how it would be super limp. But it seems like you'd still get plenty of twist.
Bassmasterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 06:25 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassinDan link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#13 date=02/22/05 at 15:03:43]
Hey Charles! You said you use PowerPro on your spinning reels with no problems. I think I've used damn near every mono line on the market to cut down on line twist. Think I'm going to try PowerPro on a spinning and baitcasting rig on the next trip to Fork in mid April. Haven't used braided line since the '60s. Is it really that good? I can see how it would be super limp. But it seems like you'd still get plenty of twist.[/quote]

I'm not Charles, but I will tell you I use Fireline for my spinning reels. I've used powerpro side by side, and for distance there isn't much comparison, and with no line memory, I have no line twist. I think powerpro would be a good option for braid, but I highly reccomend you try Fireline, which is a Fused line also, and see which you prefer. I won't lie to you it's exspensive, $13 for a spool of 150 yrds. It's my number 1 line, and I use more spinning reels than anything else. I do like powerpro for PJN's and c-rigging, but for lighter baits, and weighless plastics, there isn't anything better IMO.

Lizards
Old 02-22-05, 06:50 PM   #16
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#14 date=02/22/05 at 16:25:46]

I'm not Charles, but I will tell you I use Fireline for my spinning reels. Â*I've used powerpro side by side, and for distance there isn't much comparison, and with no line memory, I have no line twist. Â*I think powerpro would be a good option for braid, but I highly reccomend you try Fireline, which is a Fused line also, and see which you prefer. Â*I won't lie to you it's exspensive, $13 for a spool of 150 yrds. Â*It's my number 1 line, and I use more spinning reels than anything else. Â*I do like powerpro for PJN's and c-rigging, but for lighter baits, and weighless plastics, there isn't anything better IMO.

Lizards
[/quote]

I admit I have never used Fireline, but I did use Spiderwire Fusion for awhile. It did well on spinning gear, but i just like the way the PowerPro handles.And the price is about the same.I spend up to 50 dollars a pop on PowerPro, becuase i buy it in bulk spools. no, I dont break it off, I just use it on every single outfit I have. Cheaper that way.
I havn't had a problem with twist with the PowerPro.
I know that if you are useing spinning gear, if you do not reel while the fish is taking drag, you wiliminate alot of the twist. Mono is much worse about twisting than Braid anyway, at least from my experience.

Charles
Old 02-22-05, 07:36 PM   #17
hope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hope

I'm gonna disagree guys. I've pulled "trees" up from the bottom of the lake with 14lb ironsilk. I have it on all my baitcasters, never had a problem. Tied with a Trilene knot, you can pull that Ford out of a mudhole with a Chevy.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 12:29 AM   #18
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

amj

i would go fireline on the spinner and baitcaster sice i changed i havent missed a fish yet good luck
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 06:54 AM   #19
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Berkley Big Game 20# ;D
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:18 AM   #20
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been thinking about trying fireline, after reading some of you replies to the question about how much you like fireline, I am going to try it out.

Kevin
nb122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 11:29 AM   #21
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=kshort29 link=board=MessBoards;num=1108957042;start=0#19 date=02/24/05 at 07:18:02]
I have been thinking about trying fireline, after reading some of you replies to the question about how much you like fireline, I am going to try it out.

Kevin[/quote]

Good choice, you won't regret it ;D

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.