Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-05, 10:25 PM   #1
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default leader

I'm gonna b getting a new spinning setup soon....and i'll probably do the same thing on my baitcaster soon, but i have a question .... do any of you not use a leader when using braided line? Cuz i doubt it would work w/out a leader cuz of it's high visibility. And what do you use for a leader? Would tying regular Stren to the braid as a leader work well or does it slip?
Old 03-13-05, 11:24 PM   #2
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie
Default Re: leader

i use powerpro on everything.i never use leaders and have no problem catching fish.if you are worried you can camo the line by getting a marker and coloring it black every other 2 inches.this breaks up the outline of the line in the water.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 12:01 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bASSmaster1 link=board=news;num=1110763545;start=0#0 date=03/13/05 at 20:25:45]I'm gonna b getting a new spinning setup soon....and i'll probably do the same thing on my baitcaster soon, but i have a question .... do any of you not use a leader when using braided line? Cuz i doubt it would work w/out a leader cuz of it's high visibility. And what do you use for a leader? Would tying regular Stren to the braid as a leader work well or does it slip?[/quote]

The only time I use a leader is when I'm c-rigging, due to it's bouyancy to help float the bait better. I don't believe for a minute that line visiblity has any effect on catching fish. If it does, then I guess all the fish I've caught never believed it either, considering I use Fireline and PowerPro all the time. If you feel better about using a leader, then I would reccomend some brand of flourocarbon line, it's even less visible than mono.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 12:31 AM   #4
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I agree with both above. I use power pro, never use a leader. My thinking- knots are usually what gives when catching a fish. Either not tight, not checked and retied, not wetted when cinched, not tied right. Any of these probably have been responsible for more than 1 lost fish. I dont want to add another variable into the knot game by adding a leader. Now instead of 1 possible knot failure theres a chance of two. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:02 AM   #5
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherwoman

i use fireline 6lb.with a short double, then Berkley Vanish flurocarbon 15-20lb, most of the fish i chase are around rocky structure & the extra strength is needed.

Double is tied with a spider hitch, & leader attached with an albright or uni knots. never had a problem.

almost forgot. on the knots i use a dollop of super glue.
apply glue to knot, spit on fingers, & while glue is wet roll knot between them giving the knot a bullet shape. this works two ways, it locks the knot & the bullet shape lets the knot slide a lot easier through the guides.
fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:30 AM   #6
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Felix,

If you need extra strength around the rocks, why go from the Fireline to Fluoro? If you are going to use that heavy of a Fluoro line, why not go to 14 pound Fireline? It has the same diameter as 6 pound mono. If this is your basic every day rig, the braid would sure be easier.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:41 AM   #7
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

old habits i suppose, i usually use at least a rod & a half length of leader, goes back to tuna & mackeral, Â*you can usually get a couple of turns of leader onto the reel. aswell, if you get a 15lb or so fish to the boat i would rather take a couple of wraps of the fluro around my hand than the fireline. :'(

this sort of thing is one of the reasons i,ve started lurking here. all your different ideas & why you use them.
cheers
Old 03-14-05, 01:50 AM   #8
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

If i get a 15 pound bass anywhere near the boat I would dive into molten lava to make sure I got him in! A little cut from some braid sure wouldn't slow me down. Of course tuna and mackerel are a different story. Or big redfish in the surf. Makes sense when you look at it from a saltwater point of view.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:54 AM   #9
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry, i didn't take the Bass into consideration, was just the way i do it down here.
knowing little of you bass i was hoping to sneak through un-noticed 8).
i am learning..
Old 03-14-05, 10:44 AM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Since the only braided line I've even found any use for is the 1/4 nylon one I tie my boat to the pier with, I don't see the need for a leader.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 02:44 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i have not used braid yet. but im gunna try it next time i get new line. i use stren and trilene and never have problems with either.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 03:16 PM   #12
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

MASTER,
I use a 6 ft. 15# flurocarbon leader on the end of 50# Power Pro on all of my non-reaction type lures (worms, tubes, jigs, C-Rigs, etc.) but tie the braid directly to the lures on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. However, these lures are fished on a Medium or Medmum/Light 7 ft. rod so as to take up some of the shock of the braid on hookset.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 04:03 PM   #13
Jacob

braided line sucks
Old 03-14-05, 04:24 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

jacob, braid is actually a really good type of line. its real good in heavy cover areas where u would need to pull the bass out of grass and hydrilla and cover like that.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 08:53 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have to agree with felix fireline will slice you like a razor but floro is easier to grab and work with by hand.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.