Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-05, 05:46 PM   #1
MikeD
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD
Default Leader

Should I be using a leader? I have a couple big bass break off the line yesterday and today. One, right after he hit it and started to roll, and one just as I was ready to grab him when he was out of the water. I'm using a lizard, Carolina rigged. Thanx!
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 05:51 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Leader

what lb test is the line you are using?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 05:57 PM   #3
MikeD
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD

Not sure. I had the guy at the bait shop put it on (considering I wouldn't have a clue). I think I surprised him yesterday, about 1/2 hr after he sold me the combo. I brought it back with a broken rod tip. I landed (what I guess was a good sized bass) and when I was raising it out of the water, the top foot of the rod snapped. He gave me a new (stronger) rod. Maybe I should get a stronger line?
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 06:07 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

sounds like you are new to this. always know your equipment, you should always know what your line test is, and how to put it on. its easy figuring line out. basically, if going for bass, figure in the biggest bass you think you will catch, add the fight, and about a lb of weeds and what not and there is your test. lets say you always catch 1-5lb bass, then go with a 10-12 lb line. if you never want the line to break, go with braid, it is like mono, but is alot stronger with a smaller diameter. if you get strong enough line, then you do not need a leader for strength. and sounds like the rod was cheap. do alittle researching, and look at all the equipment you can get, then go back to the store and buy what you need. dont let the tackle guy pick it out. how does he know what you need? basically research, and then go buy. always buy for youself. always know your equipment. this will make you a better angler.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 08:38 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum, MassBass!

The only time I use a leader is on a Carolina rig, but it is after the swivel. Sounds like the line might have beef frayed a little bit. I have learned the hard way-several times ;D-to check my line frequently and retie if it is rough-when line gets scuffed up it weakens it.

Sometimes they just break off. Had that happen on more than one occasion. For worms, jigs, Carolina rig and flipping/pitching I use braided line. I use 50 lb PowerPro. the 50 lb line is the same diameter as 12 lb mono, no stretch, and extremely durable. Because of the no stretch it is extremely sensitive, which is important when fishing baits that require feel like a C-rig. Just retie often-that will cut down on the break offs. Too bad it doesn't eliminate them .
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.