Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-07, 08:21 PM   #1
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess
Default Dam deep water

I got skunked today at the club tournament, as did my boater (I'm the co-angler), but I'm hellbent on growing from my mistakes instead of pushing the blame on other aspects of my day. This is the first time I've ever fished DEEP water. I've fished Lake Erie, not just the bay, but it didn't even come close to the depth we fished today.

80 feet of water, and the depth finder was making HUGE schools of fish in 60 feet of water. Besides tying a dropshot 20' above the sinker, what else could I do to improve my chances of catching fish. As I said, I'm the co-angler and I'm at the mercy of where my boater fishes, so I'm forced to become a well-rounded angler even before I get my own boat.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-07, 10:05 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well first off you wouldn't have to tie you dropshot hook 20' above your weight, a 2 or 3 foot leader would be fine and let out enough line to suspend it at the right depth. another thing you could have done is use a jigging spoon. spoons and dropshots are deadly here on tablerock in water well over 100'.
Old 10-07-07, 11:57 PM   #3
Rebbasser

Try a jigging spoon. It will get deep enough, and if they are feeding that spoon dropping through them could trigger a strike.

I water that deep, though are you sure they were bass? Never fished up there so I'm just speculating, but with my limited knowlege of that area could they have been lake trout or something else?
Old 10-08-07, 12:22 AM   #4
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I heard through BassinBob that a friend of his was doing repair work on the dam and saw bass 50' down. My boater DID hook a bass from the school, so I know SOME of them were bass. The fish did break off when it shot up on the opposite side of the boat, but not before he jumped and I saw him. I don't have the heart to tell him that the fish he broke off would've won the lunker pool.
Old 10-08-07, 05:48 AM   #5
JB

Actually for this time of the year in the northeast I would believe most fish would be coming up shallow adjacent to any creek channel, at least they are in ohio. You could try a silver buddy blade bait it you fish deep like that, a jigging spoon, a C rig, or a big grub, or a big rattle trap...all of the above will sink to any desired depth.
I would have ignored that depth for fall fishing, bass tend to seek the shallows
and creeks this time of year chasing bait fish, regardless of what you saw on the graph.
I've been in plenty of tourney's in mid summer where guys caught deep fish off points with a rattletrap.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:25 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Shows you what I know.
Old 10-08-07, 07:46 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
I got skunked today at the club tournament, as did my boater (I'm the co-angler), but I'm hellbent on growing from my mistakes instead of pushing the blame on other aspects of my day. This is the first time I've ever fished DEEP water. I've fished Lake Erie, not just the bay, but it didn't even come close to the depth we fished today.

80 feet of water, and the depth finder was making HUGE schools of fish in 60 feet of water. Besides tying a dropshot 20' above the sinker, what else could I do to improve my chances of catching fish. As I said, I'm the co-angler and I'm at the mercy of where my boater fishes, so I'm forced to become a well-rounded angler even before I get my own boat.

Any suggestions?
Lake Erie is not a good exapmple of a deep lake. I Myself have never fished anything deeper than Erie, but it really isn't that deep. Better luck next time!
Old 10-19-07, 06:55 PM   #8
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB put you on the right track. The reason the fish were so deep was because of the thermocline.They hold in, or just below the thermocline.Chances are they were alot of non bass species in the group, luckily your boat was able to connect with a bass.I troll with downriggers alot looking for the very same thing you found.I do catch alot of smallmouths, but the majority of those fish , are salmon, or Mackinaw trout.Next time you find yourself in this situation, tie on a jigging spoon. I prefer Manns brand, or swedish pimple brand and you want to be just above the ball of baitfish.In all of my experience, nearly all strikes came when the lure was just above the baitfish cloud, not in it, or below it.Most importantly, hang on your rod when jigging, the strike will be very violent, practically taking the rod out of your hands before you can react quick enough. Your chances would have been better fishing shallower water for a limit of bass.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 05:39 PM   #9
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sliver buddy (or some similar baits since they aren't made any more) on braided line with a leader. Once the fish is hooked wind very quickly and swing the fish into the boat. A 6.3 or new 7.1 reel is needed. The faster you can pick up line the better.

Smith Mt. lake in SW VA is a great example for fishing this technique. You can be in over 100' of water just one cast away from the shoreline.
Old 10-27-07, 05:58 AM   #10
zooker

in my honest opinion both of you need to learn to read your graphs better.. always key in on bait fish balls NOT schools of big fish.
suspended schoolin fish are nearly imposable to catch-i would have used a rattle trap by the way-

as jb said the more activly feeding fish would be shallow. deep is good if your in the extreme water temp ends-very cold or very hot- but not very good in between them two..

finding a bait fish ball in 10 feet of water near struture will ALWAYS result in fish caught...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.