Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-05, 04:47 PM   #1
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy
Default Cranks

How many do you guys currently own. I can never keep them around since I fish from shore. I caught about 20 bass on a crank today and then I lost it finally on a rock or something. Damn!
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 04:58 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Cranks

i own 10-11..........i have zero confidence in them...but i need to start fishing them more 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 07:51 PM   #3
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1119642423;start=0#1 date=06/24/05 at 15:58:37]i own 10-11..........i have zero confidence in them...but i need to start fishing them more 8)[/quote]

same here
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 07:59 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

I probably have over 100 dating from the late, late 40's to about 10 years ago when I quit buying the damn things. They are a pain in the *** to fish, so they just lay in the tackle box and take up space. I keep telling myself that I am going to start fishing them, but those damn treble hooks ar just too much trouble. If they are not caught in the boat they are caught in me, if they are not caught in brush they are caught in some a$$holes line that he threw in the lake., If they are not caught on a tree root they are tangled in each other. I will just stick to spinnerbaits, buzz baits and plastic, life is just so much simpler.
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 08:19 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

hey jack...i wouldnt mined taking them off your hands.......i need some more so i can start to fish them
Old 06-24-05, 08:56 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
If they are not caught in the boat they are caught in me, if they are not caught in brush they are caught in some a$$holes line that he threw in the lake., If they are not caught on a tree root they are tangled in each other.
Fellas,if you have any doubts that Jack ain't a bass fisherman that right there proves he is.

Been there and done that-many times. Thanks for the laugh, Jack!

Including lipless baits I probably have 200+. What can I say? I'm a tackle junkie ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 10:24 PM   #7
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

I always kill them on Crankbaits and they go with my personality. I just have problems keeping them around. I always buy them go fishing do good on them then lose them. I probably got only three and they are not any good because or else they would be gone too. Jackl send me some and I will put those babies to use ;D

PB and 02 if you guys are not using them you are really missing out. you guys can wait for them to hit a senko or when the crank bite is on you can get one every other cast and catch more so much faster plus eliminate water. I would start using them if I were you guys.
Old 06-24-05, 11:21 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well...i agree i might be missin out....but im not to patient...in warm water i use my soft plastics like a crank bait....no stopping them.....only time im patient is when its a neccasity.......but i am gunna start fishin them more.....
Old 06-24-05, 11:25 PM   #9
bass72542
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bass72542

i have about 50 +
bass72542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 12:19 AM   #10
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

FISHIE,

You think like one of my dumb-*** fishing buddies. He recently sold his boat, and has probably over 1000 crankbaits and wants to take them with us every time we fish together. He is constantly hung up on brush, submerged logs, etc. We fished a tournament together a couple years ago on O.H.Ivie in Texas. I fished nothing but plastic worms & lizards as well as Pig & Jigs. we were fishign out of my boat and I told him that he had free access to any and all of my plastics. He would fish plastics about 4 or 5 casts and then go back to his crankbaits. At the end of the two day tournament he had a total of 8 lbs, and I had a total of over 42 lbs. I still could not convince him to fish plastics.
I have asked him many times if he was convinced about the power of plastics. He says that he is convinced, but he just likes to fish crankbaits.
He has hooked my seats twice and my motor cover once with his damn crankbaits. He has been advised that a crankbait will never again be allowed to be fished out of my boat.

JackL

Old 06-25-05, 12:23 AM   #11
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I like them. I have about 40 or 50. But then again the monkey made me do it.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 12:37 AM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

once again jack...i would be more then happy to take them off your hands......we can work some kind of trade out if you want...if your interested PM me 8)
Old 06-25-05, 08:30 AM   #13
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a grandson that graduated from high school this spring and plans to go to college this fall. I figure tht about the time I am too old to go fishing he will be thru college, married, have a couple kids and will need a way to get out of it all. At that time he will inherit a Ranger Bass boat, 100 crankbaits and a ton of plastics, a Browning BT99 trap gun, a couple Browning O/U's, more than a few Winchester model 12's, half a dozen Colt & smith & wesson handguns and reloading equipment for all of the above. By that time, some of the lures will be antiques and worth $25.00 each instead of laying in the bottom af a lake hooked to a tree root. But thanks for the offer.

JackL
Old 06-25-05, 10:21 AM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

dangnabbit! ;D
Old 06-25-05, 10:59 AM   #15
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Look at all the pro tours that are won on crankbaits and plastic worms and how many big fish are taken on them. Crankbaits can be a big fish bait at times or a little fish bait. Some examples would be Tok's Classic win, and did anybody see the giant that Aaron caught at Table Rock.
Old 06-25-05, 01:15 PM   #16
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

FISHIE,

There are a very, very few of the top Pro's that specialize in crankbaits. Why do you suppose that is???
They will tell you that crankbaits are a "searchbait" that they use to find bass, but then they go to other baits to catch them. Why do you suppose that is???
They will tell you to use a crankbait for fishing around docks, or around rocks, or in clear water with light line. Why do you suppose that is???
The answer is that crankbaits are not a BIG FISH bait. The hookup to loss ratio is greater on crankbaits than about any other bait due to the small treble hooks. They use them around docks, rocks and clear water because the hangup ratio is less and the time spent getting the lure back or re-tying when they break off is not as great. You might catch numerous fish in a open farm pond or gin clear lakes with no brush structure, but a lizard, worm, or pig & jig angler will kick your *** in brush, laydown logs, submerged timber, or the favorite places that bass like to hide.
Old 06-25-05, 01:26 PM   #17
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't know Jackl. Look through your bassmaster magazines at the biggest fish of the tournaments and they are often caught on crankbaits. Look at all the money David Fritts has won on crankbaits. Look at all the money Rick Clunn has won on crankbaits. Look at all the money Kevin Van Dam has won on crankbaits. How come Kelly jordan and MIke Auten say there favorite way to fish is with Crankbaits. Believe me if you know what you are doing with crankbaits you can get some monsters. A lot of the Pro's say to crank brush also because bass don't see many crankbaits thrown throught them. I know though you are right about the hook up ratio. They suck on this. I read where David Fritts said the reason why most people don't catch them up is because they don't use the crankbaits as tools and they misuse them. I read where he would go days without a bite in practice and then find a honey hole and win a tournament on crankbaits. I have caught so many bass over 5lbs on crankbaits it crazy. You have to often throw different colors to get the big ones than the little ones. Most successfull bass pros that have won a lot of money know a thing or two about fishing crankbaits. There are so many tournaments won on them.
Old 06-25-05, 10:35 PM   #18
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

Hey I still dont know that much about Bass fishing but let me ask you this how many pics have you seen of a bass with a crank sitting in his mouth verses worms or spinnerbaits?????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:40 PM   #19
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

[quote author=Fishie link=board=MessBoards;num=1119642423;start=0#16 date=06/25/05 at 12:26:57]I don't know Jackl. Look through your bassmaster magazines at the biggest fish of the tournaments and they are often caught on crankbaits. Look at all the money David Fritts has won on crankbaits. Look at all the money Rick Clunn has won on crankbaits. Look at all the money Kevin Van Dam has won on crankbaits. How come Kelly jordan and MIke Auten say there favorite way to fish is with Crankbaits. Believe me if you know what you are doing with crankbaits you can get some monsters. A lot of the Pro's say to crank brush also because bass don't see many crankbaits thrown throught them. I know though you are right about the hook up ratio. They suck on this. I read where David Fritts said the reason why most people don't catch them up is because they don't use the crankbaits as tools and they misuse them. I read where he would go days without a bite in practice and then find a honey hole and win a tournament on crankbaits. I have caught so many bass over 5lbs on crankbaits it crazy. You have to often throw different colors to get the big ones than the little ones. Most successfull bass pros that have won a lot of money know a thing or two about fishing crankbaits. There are so many tournaments won on them. [/quote]
Yeah butplenty of big fish and tournaments have been won on plastics to.......... For instance that 11lb. 13oz. bass KVD caught was on a worm.................
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:43 PM   #20
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

[img] http://www.ets-systems.com/lakefork/...lb-3-04-05.jpg [/img]
this one was caught on a crankbait

I learned the hard way that sometimes you can get spanked if you don't throw the crankbait, I'd say if I only had to pick one it would be the small crawdad bomber
I've owned about 20 of them and haven't bought one this year to replace the last one I lost.
I keep my crankbaits together by appearance,
my old fishing partner kept them by color
I try to keep about 6 traps,about that many flat sided ones,
I keep all the small rapalas and other brands in the front row of the tray...
now my rogue tray is a f/n cluster, I probably have 40 rogues or husky jerks or bomber stick baits..they all get their trebs in the others ring etc
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:50 PM   #21
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

NIce fish!!!!!!!!!!! I also caught my biggest bass on a crankbait... It was about 10lbs. and 3oz......... But I have not caught another fish on a crankbait in my life........ I feel much more confident fishing plastics.........
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 02:16 PM   #22
GotBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to GotBass

i wish they got that big up here :'(
Old 06-29-05, 02:57 PM   #23
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

I have about 20, I catch fish on them. Plastics do usually have better results but when the bass are biting crankbaits, I catch lots of fish with them.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 03:33 PM   #24
fisherman_craig
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherman_craig

I own probably about 20. I have only caught a big blue gill on one. They are fun to use but I have yet to catch a bass on one yet....... :P
fisherman_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 04:49 PM   #25
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Not just cranks, but spinnerbaits and buzzbaits too...

Every once in awhile, I'll find a day where they'll hit them left and right.

Every other day (read: most days) they won't get a hit.

It also depends on season though. I find that crankbaits sometimes work for me in spring, and spinners in fall. But this time of year... very seldomly.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.