Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-05, 03:29 AM   #1
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010
Default WalMart

Ok, so tonight I was bored and reading through a bunch of old posts. I was amazed at how often WalMart came up as a source for tackle. My local WalMarts have a horrible selection, and I was just wondering if it was as bad everywhere else or if they are not trying to compete with Academy Sports down here. For those not from Texas, and predominately South Texas, Academy is a huge sporting goods store devoted primarily to hunting and fishing. They have clothes and bowling stuff and all, but most of their business is from hunters and fishermen.

I guess my question is...do the WalMarts where you all live have a good selection of tackle? I rarely find anything at WalMarts here.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 08:12 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: WalMart

Not a great selection, but they have SOME decent stuff. Problem is that there's not a lot of Good sporting good stores around. Plus everyone goes to Walmart, and there's one every couple of blocks it seems. So it's easily accessible around here. If I can Avoid Dick's I will, so if I need some fishing line, weights even some plastics I will go in because there are so many available, and there price on that stuff is pretty decent. If I had BPS or Cabela's, I would probably have a weekly prayer meeting at the store

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 11:42 AM   #3
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The Wal-mart here is slam full of stuff. Stores offer what sells and if tackle doesn't sell that well at your wal-mart, then they aren't going to offer that much of it. I used to work at a Lowe's and we had many customers that would come in asking for something that they saw at another Lowe's that we didn't have. We would have to explain to them that not all stores carry the same thing all the time. If someting doesn't sell at one store, but does at another, then the one that it does sell at will have that product. More than likely, your Wal-mart doesn't sell that much stuff do to Academy. They probably tried to sell it at one time, but realized it wasn't a money maker so they cut down to what did sell and stuck with that.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 12:36 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I go to Wal-mart for the spinnerbaits only. Everything else I need I can go to bitters or BPS.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:05 PM   #5
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

My WalMart is great for everything. I go there for what ever i need!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:13 PM   #6
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

I've found Walmart to be somewhat hit or miss with tackle. I've found that the closer you are to bodies of water, the larger the selection. My home walmart (about 2 miles from the house) has a so so selection, however the other 2 wal marts around town have a bigger selection, while the wal mart in Palatka (which is close to St. Johns River and Rodman Reservoir) has a HUGE fishing selection while the Walmarts in St. Augustine have even BIGGER selection. Just drive around to the different stores in your area and you'll find which one has the best selection.
[quote author=Nitro911 link=board=MessBoards;num=1117780194;start=0#0 date=06/03/05 at 02:29:54]Ok, so tonight I was bored and reading through a bunch of old posts. Â*I was amazed at how often WalMart came up as a source for tackle. Â*My local WalMarts have a horrible selection, and I was just wondering if it was as bad everywhere else or if they are not trying to compete with Academy Sports down here. Â*For those not from Texas, and predominately South Texas, Academy is a huge sporting goods store devoted primarily to hunting and fishing. Â*They have clothes and bowling stuff and all, but most of their business is from hunters and fishermen.

I guess my question is...do the WalMarts where you all live have a good selection of tackle? Â*I rarely find anything at WalMarts here.[/quote]
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:15 PM   #7
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1117780194;start=0#1 date=06/03/05 at 07:12:43]Â*If I had BPS or Cabela's, I would probably have a weekly prayer meeting at the store

Lizards[/quote]

If I lived closer to BPS (2.5 hour drive), all my credit cards would be maxed.
Old 06-03-05, 01:23 PM   #8
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My WalMart SUCKS
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 02:21 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

my walmart is OK. there saltwater selection sucks. but i can find some of the stuff i need at walmart. i buy most of my terminal tackle there, and they have a decent selection of worms, cranks, topwaters, line, spinnerbaits, and things like that. i do buy most of my stuff at bps tho. but everytime i go to walmart i have to pick up something out of the fishing selection.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 03:28 PM   #10
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

its better them pamida.
Old 06-03-05, 04:18 PM   #11
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

our pamida closed ;D thay sucked
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 06:19 PM   #12
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Usually at WalMart I can get cheaper products that catch me more fish than many pricy ones.

mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 06:53 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

we have a fairly decent wal mart in the area but the super walmart just plain sucks.

besides there are a bunch of tackle stores round here. that are closer -for me- and have a ton more tackle.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 07:08 PM   #14
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

the saltwater selection around here is virtually non-existant. It is actually the very bottom shelf underneath all the bass lures. I actually few that bottom shelf as their "BIG BASS" lures.
Old 06-03-05, 09:47 PM   #15
BILLIE__T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BILLIE__T

What we ALL have to remember is that when we stop supporting the small tackle shop then all we'll have are the large chains and no choice. I have a Cabela's 30 miles away and a Bass Pro Shop 75 miles away and no selection. I have Anglers Paradise 10 minutes away and Wacky Worm 30 minutes away. Great selectios and both sell over the web and will treat you better. JMHO bigbasser
BILLIE__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 01:46 AM   #16
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

yep, exactly, thats why I take care of my shiner man. shiner man takes care of me.
Old 06-04-05, 01:50 AM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

there aint no small tackle shop down here that is short with costumers. with all the fishin down here, they are making big bucks, along with the bigger shops.
Old 06-04-05, 07:33 PM   #18
bass72542
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bass72542

Our walmart is okay but most of the tome i order from BPS or Cabelas
bass72542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 08:26 PM   #19
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

The closest Wal-Mart to me is O.K. if you can handle all of the people. They are building a new one closer to where I live but it's going to have a Gander Mt. right next door so it will be interesting to see how much fishing tackle they will carry.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 10:40 PM   #20
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

I have a BPS about 7 miles from my house and 1 mile from my job, so I never shop at Wal-Mart for my gear. I feel sorry for the people that have to buy rods and reels from WM. The selection of rods and reels pretty much stinks at every store.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 01:38 AM   #21
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Almost every wall mart I have been in around here (Pittsburgh) has the same items set up in the same way. Everytime I find myself in a wall mart I end up in the fishing section. One thing is if anyone remembers is the sale they had in the beginning of the year. I bought 2 curado's for $69.00each and was lucky to find one for $25.00. Bought some rods cheaply also. As far as a local tackle store I bought a Kistler rod from the one near me. I also stop in and buy other tackle from them at a higher price than wall mart or dick,s or the cabela's in WV. Wall mart is slow to sell hot baits. I think they need a buyer who is more in tune with us bassfishers. Although wall mart has IMHO a mediocre selection, they suffice. I don't think they will change.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 01:58 PM   #22
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Wal-Mart primarily carries items that the "average" angler needs. Items that are specialized aren't normally in stock.
The Wal-Mart in this area carries items from major companies that sell alot of tackle reguardless of the location. I.E. Bomber,Heddon,Rapala,Zoom worms etc...
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 07:30 PM   #23
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I only use Wal-Mart for line,hooks and sinkers.I did purchase 3 curados from them,2 for $49 each and 1 of them for $25. Shocker eh? Other than some great deals here and there,I expect nothing from them. If i'm lookin for the goog stuff,I have to drive just north of Richmond VA,to a place called Green Top.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 09:28 PM   #24
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Quote:
I feel sorry for the people that have to buy rods and reels from WM. The selection of rods and reels pretty much stinks at every store.
Hhmm, around here you can usually find Shakespeare tackle at WalMart.

I don't see how you can top Shakespeare. Low price and good quality, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to fix them!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 09:31 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

yes, the ugly stiks are one of the best rods i have ever used! but IMO thats the only good rod they have made, i have bought plenty of cheap shakespeare rods from walmart, and have broke evry one of them on hooksets. now im strictly, ugly stick, shimano, and pflueger rods.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.