Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-05, 06:41 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default why dont.......

why dont alot of people use fresh water tackle for saltwater(inshore)? i know they have spinnerbaits for saltwater, but why dont people use a buzzbait or something? for a reaction strike? or a worm. you never know. i think i might try out some freshwater tackle for inshore saltwater fishing next time i go out. i know with the metal lures you have to replace them after a while because of rust, unless they are stainless. just wondering.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 06:52 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: why dont.......

well they do use some baits for salt water -mostly crank baits. but to be honest the problem inlies is speed. a crank bait designed to be reeled in at 1-2 mph or slower is not designed to be trolled at 8-10 mph-some are some aint-as with using large worms. about 90% of salt water fish have teeth.and will snip thru most lines with ease hence using steel leader's is typical. they do use a strike king spinner bait modified by removing the front blade and putting a "sassy shad " salt water plastic boot foot shad body on it. salt water has a bad effect on some plastics-senko being one-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 06:58 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

we fish or reds and trout, and we dont use steel leaders, in fact on one of my rods, i had 10lb stren on it fishin for trout untill today, i changed it to 20lb power pro. and on my other reel i have 20lb trilene big game. ya, those plastics would get torn up, but there are plastics that are used in saltwater, like grubs and those D.O.A. shrimp, they are plastic. maybe those bigger swim baits will work, in a color that resembles a mullet.
Old 04-11-05, 10:19 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

zook,
He's talking about inshore saltwater, reds, trout, snook. Not the most toothy fish in the sea. Actually I was wonderring te same thing bf. I'm gonna go to mosquito lagoon eventually, and I'll just end up using bass tackle there. Why not?
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 10:44 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i was also talking about inshore fishing i have caught a large number of reds on a modified spinner bait with a mullet -tomatoe/chartruse-grub on it. i always use live bait for trout -they tend to bite it better- i like blue water fishing alot better than inshore-grouper,dolphin,cuda.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 11:04 PM   #6
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

I inshore fish about 60% of my fishng time. Inshore saltwater fishing is just like bass fishing but easier. I used to use all my bass stuff when i first started but found out after about a year they were garbage after saltwater go to them. But now i use just spinning and 1 older baitcaster for all my inshore. Make sure you rinse them very good afterwards. As for lures a slow rolled spinnerbait is good for reds (GOLD). Soft jerk-baits are great for specs and reds. Topwater walk the dog type lures are good for both reds and specs as well. I mostly use topwater for specs and catch a few reds too. they have a harder time getting it so i always have a light jig to throw back at them. For specs if they miss my topwater i throw back a doa and they nail it everytime. Id have to say topwater is what i do the most because its easy, caver lots of water, explosive strikes, BIG fish (small fish wont hit it) and by time its time to stop throwing topwater its too hot to keep fishing anyways and the day is over. Morning is defiantely the best time.
Old 04-11-05, 11:24 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

DAINO, i picked up some of those D.O.A.'s. they look great, they are stuffed with real shrimp. there is a black tube lookin thing under/in the shrimp on the doa's, what is it? is it a weight, or what? i am gunna try those zara puppies next time i go out, i have been practicing with it in the ponds and seem to have the walk the dog thing figured out. hula, have you been to the lagoon before? its a great place, we catch plenty of trout, no size to them tho :P and havnt hooked into a red yet, i figure give it time. we drift thru the flats and catchbunches of trout. if you have been there, have you seen those islands to the right when you leave the landing? in may, we are gunna be camping on one of them. im lookin forward to it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.