Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-05, 11:03 PM   #1
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy
Default Difference Between Pro and playing around

Okay the difference I believe is in these areas one is the abilitiy to present baits in more ways and to make difficult casts and two would be big lake experience because fishing a golf course pond like some people is easier than hell compared to a heavly pressured lake.
Lastly would be the ability to make smart descions out on the water
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Difference Between Pro and playing around

#1 thing- finding the fish has a lot to do with it. tons of people can catch fish, some better then others but it takes a lot of knowledge to be able to find fish on a large lake you have never fished before.
Old 06-15-05, 11:16 PM   #3
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Duh ment to includ that one. :
Old 06-15-05, 11:24 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

now now....golf coarses are alot harder to fish then most think.....not to mention you have to watch out for golf balls, the fish spook incredibly easily.....(go figure with all the golf balls that are hit into it).....so not only do you have to keep alert.....you have to be extremely quite, and know how to pitch and flip rather well so you can lay a lure into the pond.......cause if you let it fly it will sound like a golf ball going in...and the fish hears before it sees, and will take of for fear of getting hit by one 8) another major difference is pro is almost making work outta something relaxing, and (i dont really like the term ''playiong around'') recreational fishing is just knowing your stuff and fishing to fish 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:24 PM   #5
P_Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to P_Man

thought so, sorry i posted as a quest i know some guys don't like it.

another thing is beging able to know what type of bait to throw and how to present it like you where saying. so you can cover a lot of water faster
P_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:43 PM   #6
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Lets put it this way thought fishing for fun ain't sqat in difficulty when it come to tournaments and competition. If you have never been there then its hard to see what I mean but if you have then you know what I mean.
Old 06-15-05, 11:47 PM   #7
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Just because you can do good on some little ponds doesn't make you any better really. How you get good is fishing tournaments and the sooner you start the better you are. If you fish the same little lakes you don't learn how to read water and if you fish lakes that have dumb bass in them then you can be wasting your time. For instance people can hit homeruns in the Major leagues but can they hit them in cluch situations or when you need them. Those are the real pros or money players. When you get to the high level casting is routine everyone does it better than you. You have to have talent.
Old 06-15-05, 11:51 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i have fished rivers, to streams, to large lakes, to small lakes, to large ponds, to small ponds, i have fished backwaters, and swamps....and have caught bass outta them all....but golf coarses are still one of the most difficult ponds to catch bass...its just because they spook....you throw it into an area with nice bass and if it makes alot of racket when it hits the water.....not one bass will touch it......you have to excell in pitching...and do good in flipping in order to get bass outta them.....well, im not sure about other golf coarses, but the one i fish you sure do! 8) i dont think tournies make you a better fisherman, you make you a better fisherman 8) tournies just add more expenses....alot of compitition...and make a generally freindly sport aggravating and hatefull, cause we all know that if the money is high, then every one wants to win....and will do whatever they can to win. i just prefurre relaxing fishing...not having to worry about paying people...or competing with people all the time....sure evry now and then i like to have a friend tourny...not for money...but just to see whos better that day...just for fun 8) but i would rather fish to fish....not for money. 8) just adds alot of stress to fishin IMO. but i do like to watch tournies when theres nothin else to do.....so im not sayin stop them. 8)
Old 06-15-05, 11:55 PM   #9
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Chill I wasn't talking about you really 02 I was just saying that all the pros know how to cast really well and if you do too then what seperates the pros from fishermen like me and you.
Old 06-15-05, 11:56 PM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

The difference between a pro and a guy playing around?

Well, uh, the pro makes money. The guy playing around is, uh, playing; doing it for his own enjoyment.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:58 PM   #11
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats what I'm looking for. The Pros are under pressure which is what you have to be able to handle to compete.
Old 06-15-05, 11:58 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i know fishie...just decided to share that...didnt want people thinkin i just get all my bass of golf coarse ponds...cause that sounds like i have no idea what im doing...but believe it or not...i have some knowledge up there ;D
Old 06-16-05, 12:01 AM   #13
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

yep
Old 06-16-05, 12:22 AM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
i have some knowledge up there
The operative word here being "some" ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 02:53 PM   #15
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

*sigh*

A "pro" is given thousands worth of sponsorship and given hundreds of hours to pre-fish these lakes to the point its all a simulation.

Give me a few thousand dollars and a couple hundred hours, go down south to the most popular bass lakes in the country, and a few of us might catch some nice fish too.

You want a REAL expert fisherman, talk to the guys who hike through the woods to a remote northern stream that catch 10+ lb striper on 4 lb fly line. Now THAT takes skill.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 04:12 PM   #16
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Lone, they both had skill. It needs to be realized that the designation of being a pro does not really have to be a sign of skill, or taken that way. Like I said, a pro makes money out of it. That is the essence of the word.

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 05:02 PM   #17
goombass

I definitely am in the fool around cataegory However that doesnt mean I dont work on always getting better at it. I fish to relax , I work with very hard at risk kids and my time off is very valuble to me. While Im not competitiveIve been able to getfrom a few sites like this one and a lot of reading my ability to find them (and I do agree this is the skill hardest for me to learn) and get them to the boat improves a little very little as time goes by. My hats off to those pros out there your skills are amazing and the knowledge spill off you guys share with the rest of us is unbelievable

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.