Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-08, 09:41 AM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Chatterbait. Knock-offs. How to fish them??

I've just "discovered" Chatterbaits. I've got a lake that the fish seem to really like them on. I need some education. I've got a few questions:

1.Is there a better "knock off" bait at a cheaper price? The Chatterbait doesn't seem too well made to me. Although I didn't break one (a problem I've read about), the skirt pulls down, the blade doesn't look too sturdy and the hook could be of better quality and at a price in excess of $5 a piece, they seem overpriced. Are there better copies out there?

2.Where do you fish these baits?? IE, docks, weedbeds etc.

3.How do you fish them? IE lift and drop? Swim them? Fish them more like a spinnerbait or like a jig or what??

Thanks.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 03:59 PM   #2
vagabond

I fish them sorta like a jig, sorta like a spinner bait. I throw them into the thick junk but work them quicker than I do a jig. With a chatter bait I use my reel more than my rod. When fishing a jig I use all rod and the reel's just there to bring in the slack.

I mainly use the boogee baits and have only had success with the black ones.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 04:19 PM   #3
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Swim them through grass, wood, pads, etc like you would a spinnerbait. I've dropped them next to docks, like a jig, and had fish pick them off the bottom too. Try different retrieves and find out which one or ones work the best for you on your body of water.
Old 05-25-08, 05:21 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've used chatterbaits a lot the past two years and do well with them. I seem to have my best luck in the spring using a simple slow retrieve to keep the chatterbait running deeper. However, you can vary the retrieve in so many ways. Just try a few to see what the bass are looking for. You can almost make them hop out of the water with a fast retrieve and sharp snaps with the wrist. You can lift and fall, just vary the speed to work the bait around and through cover. One thing to remember is that the chatterbait is far from snagless. They will latch onto a bit of wood in a hurry.
As for the knockoffs, I've used several and to be honest, I always go back to the original. It may look a bit flimsy, but I've never had one break on me. And I think the action from the original is better than the action from the other brands.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 05:43 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like the Strike King Pure Poison, and the Booyah Boogee bait. both are the same price as the chatterbait. I like them better though.

BB
Old 05-25-08, 08:53 PM   #6
Marty

I've used the Boogee Bait, but don't like the flexible hook system, but I think it's a better-made lure than Chatterbaits. I've been using mostly Gambler Swim Blades, although the blade seems a little cheesy. All three baits are good fish attractors.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 10:44 PM   #7
3dkicker

This is the only knock off I've used, called the Potomac-Punisher. Recommended by one of the pro-staff who I've known for a while. He told me I should have one for the river. Caught 19 bass the first time using it. I've added my own Knucklehead Skirt to it. I didn't get the trailer though.
http://www.shakerbait.com/shakerbaits.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potomac-punisher.gif
Views:	441
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2256  
Old 12-01-08, 10:48 PM   #8
C BASS
BassFishin.Com Member

i have better luck with the origanals. ive got two gamblers and have yet to get a bite on either and your right marty the blades are cheesy. remind me of a cut up pop can.
C BASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 03:31 AM   #9
wareagledc

i always change the skirt with one with a rubber band instead of the slip on kind
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 06:31 PM   #10
jig fisherman

go on takle ware houses web site, the strike king pure poison are under $2
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 01:13 AM   #11
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

I would have to agree with 3dkicker. The Potomac Punisher and the Shaker Bait pro are fantastic. Both are high quality tough products that you can burn over the top of grass or weed beds that will drive the bass nuts.
Okay to tell the truth, I also sell them. In fact, I just added the line to my site. The reason is that I also believe they are a quality bait that will produce fish.
Good luck,
Old 12-08-08, 11:42 AM   #12
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Thumbs up Silent Thunder!!!!!!!!!

You should check out ( www.wackyworm.com ), their Silent Thunder is the only bait that I've found that you can rig weedless. Aslo their hooh is longer for better hook-ups. JMHO bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 05:19 PM   #13
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
This is the only knock off I've used, called the Potomac-Punisher. Recommended by one of the pro-staff who I've known for a while. He told me I should have one for the river. Caught 19 bass the first time using it. I've added my own Knucklehead Skirt to it. I didn't get the trailer though.
http://www.shakerbait.com/shakerbaits.htm
Those baits look awesome. Plus the deal on the website looks good to. I think I am going to order me some. I have had a little luck with the chatterbait, but I am not sure what kind of line I should be using with them. What do you guys use?
Old 12-11-08, 05:45 PM   #14
3dkicker

I use 17lb mono with it. I throw it in real nasty stuff. Lost one a couple weeks ago in some pads. Trying to pull it free and the line popped. Must have had a nick in the line because it was a clean break.
Old 12-15-08, 11:36 PM   #15
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking

All of the "Chatterers" can be effective but there's one problem with the knock-offs...you only catch knock-off bass. Really. I mean it!

Lancer6
My head hurts.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 09:40 PM   #16
Tall

I just watched a 30 min show (Fishing university) on TV that had the maker of the bait on there. You might check for a rerun. I think it was on the fishing network on my Dish network. Man do I like my DVR since I took time to learn to set the recorder of all the fishing shows on tv on the different channels. I looked the other night and I had 133 taped. You can go through a show in probably 10 minutes without all the commercials.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.