Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-08, 04:37 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Ya learn something everyday....

thought I'd share some info with ya, these last 3 days Denny and me went south to amish country to stay with Ed and his wife at their camper near amish country(you know, the girls have the unibrow and mustaches with bonnets ...
anyways, Ed had been telling us for a few years about the private lake that is there, its about mile long and snake looking, lots of bends and points, and more wood than a 1000 boy scouts with their first playboy mag...
After venturing through many small redneck looking towns we finally get to the hills and start seeing the buggies and huge farms of tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn and so forth..
We stop in to a Amish grocery for some homemade pretzels and goodies,
still laughing about the "woman folk" with their mustaches .hehe..
and eventually head out to the lake..
The point of this thread is a new learning curve for me on huge spinnerbaits
and the hogs they caught this weekend..
Of course, Denny and me take 13 rods and more plugs than you could imagine, plastics etc..while we notice Ed only carry s 1 rod with this f/n huge white spinner bait, with 2 huge willow leafs on it an maybe a 1/2 ounce head.
We head over to the bank, its plum full of wood, a canopy overhang of trees, and banks that are steep, rock bluff walls...you name it the whole nine yards of what holds bass. Plenty of saw weed vegetation abound in the waters in patches that would go 20--30 yards out, to just about anywhere in the lake, here n there.

So, I start out with zookers bandit he turned me onto, its caught more fish this year than all the rest put together, and I've been fishing many dif states this year from ohio/ ind/ fla and its smokin' hot..
well, first thing I realize is the weeds make any crankbait pretty hard to move due to the weeds..
mean while i am watching ed just chuckin away with NO finese at all to these wood cover/weed choked out waters, and pulling in the most consistantly BIG bass, time after time.. I put on Rebs white blade, and start doing my thing, ed looks over and says "yer runnin it to fast, slow down"
Well, for one thing, the water clarity was at least 4 ft if not more, and I'm thinking why let them get a good look at the blade , I want the reaction strike.. while I am thinking about all this I just watch ed throwing it out and either on the wood or half way back in 20 ft of water the bass come out of the weeds and nail it!
These bass are the most healthy 4-5-6 pounders I've ever seen! Pull like crazy when caught, and fun as hell to watch..

pretty much this size all day, not bad eh? ^

So, being the farm boy he is, of course Ed only fishes for food, we come in with me getting couple Dinks Friday nite, ed has tons of biggie size fish, Denny caught some to, but on the first night neither of us have a clue to what we need to do to score big..
ed takes the fish home for a fish fry, we open up the bellies to find cicadas in their stomaches like crazy, some shad, and some craws.
The white spinnerbait obviously looks like the shad going through the weeds.. the next day Denny n me tie on the big blades and ed keeps the boat about 30 yards from the banks, lots of long casts for sure...my first big one comes bites the blade after I started purposely throwing through the sawgrass weeds and triggering a strike...
That slow rolling huge blade, (no wind many times, clear water, mid summer pattern)...I didnt think theres any way this would be what they wanted, but it was perfect~
Ed kept telling me how many hawgs that he used to break off on this lake, I had doubts....Sat night after a rain all 3 of would many times get bite in the same area almost one after another, 4-5 pounders that fought like hell.
I nailed one with brand new line, only to watch this hawg pull and turn his head about 10 feet from me, BROKE me off right at the reel..
I decide the rest of the day to think outside of the box and tied on another big blade to a rod with powerpro, thinking well there is no stretch like mono, gotta be careful and let the rod take the impact.
After I caught on to move the blade as slow as possible, about 1 foot under the surface, dont let it flutter or any of the other tricks I know, just chuck it out and wind..man talk about FUN...it literally wore Denny and my wrists out after 2 full days of fishing.
We have tons of pics on phones that I'll try to get out, I forgot my camera due to being caught in a rainstorm on the chopper before leaving, I was in a rush to catch up with the guys to head for the lake, but ed an denny have pics I can share with ya later.
Moral of story, think out of the box as zooker says, who knew a slow BIG blade in clear water would be the ticket this time of year...we are going back in the fall for some bigger fish!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 05:07 PM   #2
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mighty fine reading’ there jb. You and Denny appear to be inseparable, glad you all had a good time at the fishing’ hole with a good story to tell us. I know about the Amish and their hospitality, can’t beat ‘em, they are mighty fine people.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:32 PM   #3
bamabassman

great story jb. thank you very much pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 07:16 PM   #4
JB

we saw locals or heard bout locals that flipped up tight with thier fav. lure, a punkin seed brushhog, and saw some fat guy an his wife throwing a blue/black pnj and catching some toads, so dont get me wrong there were plenty of lures that worked, however ed was at the wheel and kept the boat going way to fast, covering water...most of the time either the wind or his foot on 5 on the trolling motor kept ya going pretty fast to flip, plus you can imagine 3 guys in a boat all going for the same real rel estate..
So many rocks, sunken trees and fallen timbers and stumps, everyone had a target to throw to, as well as the weeds. The lake was full or perch, bass, gills, some cats n carp..we probably saw 3 or 4 ppl a day fishing, not to bad for a no wake lake.
Old 06-29-08, 08:22 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

thats a great story jb i'm glad the lake worked out well for bet you can't wait to hit it again
Old 06-29-08, 09:55 PM   #6
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like heaven JB. The small lake I fished today used to be that way.
Old 06-30-08, 01:16 AM   #7
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Question

[quote=JB;194860] ...the girls have the... mustaches with bonnets ...

Are you sayin' them 'staches are so big 'n bushy that they put bonnets on 'em?
Inquiring minds wanna know.

Lancer6
The Curious Kid
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 06:54 AM   #8
JB

lance!

and the unibrow....ummm, that'd be good luvin' for some lucky amish dude some day!
Old 06-30-08, 11:20 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great story JB, and even better fishin'.

BB
Old 06-30-08, 07:11 PM   #10
zooker

[quote=Lancer6;194999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
...the girls have the... mustaches with bonnets ...

Are you sayin' them 'staches are so big 'n bushy that they put bonnets on 'em?
Inquiring minds wanna know.

Lancer6
The Curious Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
lance!

and the unibrow....ummm, that'd be good luvin' for some lucky amish dude some day!
like ewww even... but think on the right side of the gutter. #1 the gals don't have buttons on there clothes just straight pins holding them togather.. which is a WHOLE mess of FUN out in a dark hay loft. #2 bloomers ARE REALLY crotchless drawers. been dat way fer several hundred years.

ahem i wont even say how i know any this,i plead the 5th your honor..

zooker
Old 06-30-08, 08:29 PM   #11
ohio_bass_fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ohio_bass_fisher

nice story jb glad you all had a good time, was that in the amish hills of ohio? cause if so i know all about the girls your talking about lol.
ohio_bass_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 09:07 PM   #12
JB

yup, just north of peebles ohio and south of rocky fork lake..lots of hicks on one side of the road sitting on the porch, the other side of the road are hugs
amish farms of produce.
Old 06-30-08, 09:31 PM   #13
ohio_bass_fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ohio_bass_fisher

oh i see i think they filmed deliverance there, lol
ohio_bass_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 02:09 AM   #14
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Very Imformative! That's great, that you learned something new! After all, no one knows everything! I wish I could pull out some of those hawgs here at my lake, but it's pretty hard to do so!:s

-stevo

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.