Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-05, 07:25 PM   #1
hope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hope
Default Flippin Switch

Lookin for some help here. I've never had a baitcaster that had a flippin switch, now I've got one, only problem is.....don't know how to use it. Heard it's a "delicate" situation (i.e. stripping gears possible). Anyone shed some light on this subject, so I don't destroy my new reel?
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 10:29 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Flippin Switch

Not to worry, Hef. The flipping switch is designed to engage the reel without having to turn the handle. It comes in handy in those short-line situations when you are flipping. If you push the free spool button and have to turn the reel to engage the spool it is off. Move it to the other position and push the free spool button. When you let up on it it should engage the spool, and you don't have to turn the reel handle to engage it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 03:17 PM   #3
hope
BassFishin.Com Member

thank you very much
Old 01-31-05, 09:39 PM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Rebbasser, got it nailed down ,but I choose not to use the flipping selection on my reels. When flipping it is important to keep both hands in position to set the hook and reel.In my opinion the flipping switch creates a bad habit because you extend your arm away from your body flipping one handed, and you are out of position to effectively control the fish on a strike.I like to keep the rod directly in front on me so I can watch the line through the guides and also watch the line as it comes off the reel as well as the line going in the water.You arms are close to the body so your reaction is alot faster than if your arms were extended from your body. I hope this post makes some sort of sense for you. Â*;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 08:08 PM   #5
hope
BassFishin.Com Member

sure does......tks Pig
Old 02-05-05, 12:18 AM   #6
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

I have them on some of my reels but I never use them... sometimes they are handy but i've found it easier just to leave them off lol
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.