Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-05, 05:42 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default winter fishin

ahhh tis the time of year when a boat ride is right down miserable. me and a buddy took vaction days and went to day to a favored lake-high rock- in search of our lunacy. man did we find it. we started the day being called fools by the local sheriff deputy. we were slowly working our way thru a bucket of crappie minnows. when i got bored-man i swear i get bored easy-and start throwing a jigging spoon under a bridge. i relive the bridge of a couple wads of fish line and 2 bass, 1 quite dinky the other just 14". we catch 5 more crappie. and move toward the upper access area-butle creek-as we near a sharp bend we encounter ice so we stop. i start to notice the gulls were hammering shad hard in this area my buddy starts throwing a trap and hangs a good striper-8 pounder-it did not take me long to change to a trap got a nice 6.3 pound striper. the trap slowed down for a while so i started to throw a swim bait 2" on a light medium rod -use this rod to fish crappie jigs-i caught a 4 pound stripe bass on 6 pound braid-man was that fun- i throw the swim bait almost to the ice/slush. in 4-6 feet of water and caught a 2 pound bass on it.my question is has anyone caught bass shallow with water temps in the 34-35 degree range? or was this 2 pound foot ball a fluke? the water was stained and 9 feet below full. oh yeah 17 crappie 6 striper's and 3 large mouth were caught.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 07:20 PM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: winter fishin

Zook, Just shoveled most of the snow out of the boat two days ago, I hope to get it in the lake this weekend.It has reached in the 30's here, Nothing a good pair of carharts can't tame.Try a full face motorcycle helmet when running down the lake, It works pretty well. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 08:20 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

pnj old friend i would rather tote an *** whoopin then live back up north again. and that sir you can quote me on.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 09:09 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

[quote author=zooker link=board=MessBoards;num=1107376936;start=0#2 date=02/02/05 at 18:20:18]pnj old friend i would rather tote an *** whoopin then live back up north again. and that sir you can quote me on.

zooker [/quote]

Leave it to Zooker to come up with a description like that. LMAO!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 09:34 PM   #5
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I'm with you on that Zooker I would much rather deal with the humid summers down here rather than shoveling snow in the winter and freezing my butt off. If it's getting down to wearing a motorcycle helmet to drive down the lake. It's just TOO COLD.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 12:21 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=zooker link=board=MessBoards;num=1107376936;start=0#0 date=02/02/05 at 15:42:16]my question is has anyone caught bass shallow with water temps in the 34-35 degree range? or was this 2 pound foot ball a fluke? the water was stained and 9 feet below full.

zooker [/quote]

Yes I've caught a couple shallow with water temps being in the 30's. I think it a fish that was chasing something or just looking for food up there. I do think it is out of the ordinary for them to be shallow in those temps but it does happen.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.