Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-05, 08:55 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Why won't spinnerbaits work for me?

I have tried almost every brand, and tons of colors of spinnerbaits, but none will ever work for me? Any tips or ideas. I just throw them out as far as I can give one hard jerk to get the blade going and them try reeling them in at different speeds and paces??
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:02 PM   #2
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass
Default Re: Why won't spinnerbaits work for me?

didn't you mention that you fish clear water? If so, there's the culprit. Also, no need to give it a hard jerk to get the blades going, just pulling the spinner through the water at any speed will get the blades going. Could be other reasons as well, color selection, retrieve, weather, time of day, how much time have you spent fishing them?
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:06 PM   #3
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott

I spent about a total of about 8 hours fishing them and only caught one small bass a little over a pound.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:06 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Time of day is a major issue. You want to make sure that it isn't too sunny out, because then there will be too much flash and that will turn off the fish. I don't really know, I never had trouble with spinnerbaits. I just looked at the conditions one day, thought that a spinnerbait would work well, and I hung 4 gooduns.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:30 PM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

[quote author=rrw4258 link=board=news;num=1116892557;start=0#2 date=05/23/05 at 20:06:16]I spent about a total of about 8 hours fishing them and only caught one small bass a little over a pound.
[/quote]

I know how discouraging it can be to throw a lure all day long and only get one fish, however if I threw away every lure that I had trouble catching fish on at one time or another, I'd have an empty tacklebox. Just this weekend I went out and threw crankbaits for 7 hours, not one fish, not one bite, lost 4 lures, and used a total of 8 different crankbaits, and 5 different lipless crankbaits, each one trying to change color, depth, retrieve etc., as I was trying to hone in on exactly what the bass wanted. Did I find what they wanted that day, nope, but next time I go out there, it could be completely different, they could eat everything I throw at them. Don't let slow fishing discourage you. I'm not sure what part fo the country you're in, but down here they're post spawn right now. If you're in a warm part of the south then most of the fish will be off the beds, or about to leave the beds and that can be tough fishing.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:36 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Instead of just throwing it randomly try looking for any thing in the water, a rock, a tree trunk or limbs, brush, or vegetation, and throw there...also, are you getting the spinnerbait low enough?
Dont be afraid to experiment with one cast, count a few seconds, reel. Next cast count 4-5 seconds before reeling, the purpose of this is finding what level in the water the fish are hanging in, plus if you go deep enough your doing to learn either the bottom, or any object along the way. If you hit a object stop the reel for a second and then start again,, many times on the start up they will hit it, esp if that spinner has fallen over a limb.
Usually if there is any kind of tree near a pond you can bet that a limb or two has fallen and sunk somewhere 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 10:40 PM   #7
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

Try throwing it at different types of cover(grasslines,downed trees,stumps,etc.).Don't be afraid to throw it into the thickest wood cover you can find.Ihad someone teach me a long time ago that if you keep reeling the spinnerbait through the limbs and snags ,it will not get hung up.Another tip he taught me is to "kill" the bait for a second or two after pulling the bait over wooden cover.I get most of my strikes this way.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 01:16 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Because you aren't throwing them where the bass are.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 12:40 PM   #9

Try changing blade sizes and colors depending on water clarity and conditions i fish alot of muddy water and the chartruese blades are a real success for me. Also remember that theres other lures than spinnerbaits and pending on conditions theres probably a better one
Old 05-24-05, 09:00 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I think Lizard's explanation is the most likely.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 03:35 PM   #11
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

One thing that is sure to increase the amount of bites you get while fishing a spinnerbait is to make it stand out. Few things in nature move in a straight line. The key is to put more life into your spinnerbait. This could be as simple as bumping structure or gently shaking your rod tip. Even pausing during your retrieve can make a difference.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 04:01 PM   #12
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wait for a good cloudy windy day......trust me
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 04:23 PM   #13
bamabassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bamabassin

try fishing them about 5 inches from the top if it is an warm overcast day otherwise try fishing them slowly across the bottom
bamabassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 06:26 PM   #14
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

You can try all of those things but through my experience there is one thing you have to have, confidence. You can try anything but your not going to do much withought confidence in what your doing.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 06:31 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ok you did not say what blades youre using. i would use a colorado lead with a willow blade trailing blade. the blade color for all round usage would be silver/chrome colorado blade and a brass/gold willow blade. structure is key to catching bass lay down trees or visable grass lines would be a start. the second key thing to catch fish on a spinner bait would be. contact from bumping along the bottom or dragging down a tree trunk. or being ripped through grass. i belive that contact using a spinner bait is a kin to the crank bait hitting structure. warning for some reason booya baits hit and object and instead of deflecting they turn into this object hanging up. but i know very little about a spinner bait mine ya.
i only MAKE my own..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.