Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-05, 08:24 PM   #1
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Worst Crankbait?

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* [img] http://www.catch-company.de/images/b...-fire-shad.jpg Â* [/img]So whats the most unproductive crankbait you've purchased after reading about how marvelous it is in Bassmaster magazine?
For me, it was probably that line Â* of Manns Loudmouth big crankbaits, they used to have some bearded pro, Paul Elias on the circuit in the 90's and he slayed them on the Mississippi river with this bait,
I got that and the DD22 and fished them both, the DD22 did lots better, I had a bright chartruse one, I've just never had any luck on the loudmouths.
That and some balsa wood homemade flat sided crankbaits I got that havent ever caught anything but a bluegill, and trust me I put in days on days of throwing this plug with NADA
so I got to thinking ..anyone else bombed out?
I know the reason they dont work, they aren't as applicable to the lakes we fish compared to where they did work and became famous
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 09:27 PM   #2
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Re: Worst Crankbait?

I strongly dislike the Storm Wildeye Soft Shad. I have tried them in all colors and only caught 1 bass on them.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 09:33 PM   #3
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason

yeah i dont like the storm crankbaits, but then again i really dont use crankbaits all that much.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 09:44 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Storm has sold a gazillion wiggle warts and hot n tots. if you try those you'll prob. regain some respect about storm
Old 06-02-05, 09:46 PM   #5
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

I love every crankbait. They seem to all work for me!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 10:18 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i wouldnt know, i havnt caught many fish on a crankbait.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 11:44 PM   #7
javlin2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javlin2

I'm with you 02. I've never caught a fish on a crankbait.
javlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 03:14 AM   #8
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

I dont think there is a bad crankbait, unless it is a really crappy made one, and storm didnt make the wiggle warts and hot shots for bass, they were made for salmon and steelhead, we use them here in idaho and we kill the salmon and steelhead on em,
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 08:24 AM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont think there is a bad crankbait, unless it is a really crappy made one, and storm didnt make the wiggle warts and hot shots for bass, they were made for salmon and steelhead, we use them here in idaho and we kill the salmon and steelhead on em,

HT05 dives from 1.5m - 2.4m
HT07 dives from 2.1m - 3.0m

The number-one selling lure series for trolling and drift-fishing for walleye, steelhead and salmon. The searching action of the Hot 'N Tot is as wild as it gets. Working from side-to-side, its erratic motion gets the attention of gamefish -- yet it's stable even in the roughest water. Geez... more than 30 years old... the Hot 'N Tot gets a facelift this season with a new polycarbonate lip, sonic-welding for tough, no-leak seams, and bee-u-tiful new patterns.

Old 06-03-05, 06:16 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

a new style mud bug. for some reason i can catch bass on the old wooden ones with ease but i can't hook any on the plastic version. aint this the way it always happens.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 06:46 PM   #11
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Hey JB, if you don't want that one you can send it my way ;D Lets see-worst crankbait- I'd say it was one of those Renegades you get at Wal-Mart, you get what you pay for. I couldn't get those to run straight to save my life ;D
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 08:38 PM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Heres another plug that I know is killer but i have never caught crap with it, the famous rebel craw back up bait,
man in the 80's they sold a gazillion of them, and all the old men that taught me the ropes told me to get one, I did, and was glad when I finally lost it lol
[img] http://image.basspro.com/images/imag...-799-chart.jpg [/img]
Old 06-03-05, 09:49 PM   #13
TopRob
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TopRob

Those are my favorite lure for smallies in streams.
TopRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 04:52 AM   #14
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

SOmebody was making something called a Timber Tiger a couple of years back. I had one given to me. It claimed to deflect off of trees and such better than other crankbaits. Well, I think my Tiger had really big claws, because it hooked into a tree about an hour into fishing, never to be seen again. It was a funny looking thing, too, with carved out sides where the lateral lines would be on a real fish. Odd looking thing.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 07:52 AM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Nitro, The timber tigers are a super crankbait. I just bought a dozen of them a month ago. Worden still makes them. There are no worst crankbait made, fish them where there are active fish and they will load the live wells with fish. JB, If you want to part with the loudmouths, instant message me, so we can work out a deal. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 09:15 AM   #16
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll take em to the grave dammit lol
btw , has anyone ever heard of Paul Elais? and does he still fish?

He used to be red hot ..
[img] Â*http://espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoo...paul_elias.jpg Â* Â* Â* Â* [/img]

on futher investigation heres a link to what he's up to lol
http://www.quantumfishing.com/tips_elias.htm
Old 06-05-05, 07:00 AM   #17
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Maybe I should give that Timber Tiger a shot again if I can find one. I guess I didn't give it any credit because it looked weird. Bad way to judge what a fish will eat, I guess.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 01:12 PM   #18
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I fish cranks alot and the worst that I've found were those that didn't catch fish.
Let me explain, most crankbaits of the same size, and style won't run the same as the others of the same size and style. I've got several that I won't use due to the fact that I don't catch many keepers while using these particular baits.
Granted, I've got some of the same baits that can and will catch fish of decent size in most waters that I fish.
I know for a fact that plastic crankbaits are worse than wood baits. Although I have seen wooden cranks that won't produce as well as other wooden cranks of the same type,style, and size. Zooker can confer what I have stated.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 03:31 PM   #19
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have to concur with bassnman on this. even the same crank bait made by the same company lets take a shad rap for example. an average #5 shad rap. buy 12 of them same color same size. fish the same structure -say a hump 6 feet deep-cast to the same place every time reel the same speed . 6 will hit the hump.5 will not. 1 will roll over and play dead. -not dive at all-.of the 6 that will hit the hump 3 will barley thump it . 2 will start digging a ditch. and the last one will be on the hump like a rat on a cheeto.you want THAT one. every crank bait regaurdless of maker is this way. no exceptions .
think of buying a crank like yanking the handle on a slot machine. you may get 777 or you may get a dud.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 06:48 PM   #20
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Bassnman, I will agree with you that certain baits will catch bigger fish and more fish than others off the same peg at your local swillmart store or Bubba's tackle shack, But I have never seen a crankbait that could not catch a fish ever. At one time or another it will catch fish if you give it a chance. Its hell trying to keep track of how many fish this crankbait caught ,or if your really insane, log the conditions of the day the crankbait worked and where you were fishing , and see if there is a pattern within a pattern that can give you a head start on your day of fishing. Did you know that jigs are the same way, certain jigs will catch the bigger fish and more than others that look just like it. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 10:03 PM   #21
bass72542
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bass72542

I'm with you JB I hate those I think they are the worst ones ever made they don't work rite they twist and turn whenever you reel them in........and i have never caught anything off of them eather
bass72542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 11:06 PM   #22
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Any crankbait or even spinner bait should always be fine tuned out of the box... the bills on the crankbait are almost always the culprit,, if its going to the right or left ,bend the bill a little in one direction and check to see if that straightend out.
I know what ya mean about them being dissimiliar, many a angler will have sets of several baits, but just one is his favorite, the way it runs ,, or bobs back to the surface etc
I have certain PopR s that dont walk at all, and they are all Rebels
I have one that is translucent and has a heavy ball bearing in the tail to keep the tail down in the water when ya stop..another lure I just had to have when some guy onthe river beat me using it..its ok , but not my fav 8)
Old 06-06-05, 02:45 PM   #23
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

With jigs, I think that it's a different rattle sound. Take two of the same jigs, just like crankbaits and shake the jig. One will have a different rattle than the other one.
Thats just my opinion. Have asked pro's ref. this and they say yes but have no idea as to when to use a certain jig with a certain sound.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 10:35 AM   #24
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

I have several crankbaits that i've fished quite a bit but never produced. The rebel craw ones someone showed earlier. None of the Poe's series except for one 1100 (and only caught a couple of small fish on that). Also the bomber flat A.
Wood is not necessarily better than plastic. It depends on the conditions and activity level of the fish as well as thier depth. I have caught as many big fish on plastic cranks as I have wood. Certain baits do tend to produce more bigger fish....while others seem to catch only shorts with a keeper here or there.
Whoever was talking about the mudbug, I agree...there is a difference between the old wood ones with compared to the plastic ones. Caught my biggest bass on an old wood one. Can't catch anything with the newer plastic mudbugs. Some cranks run better cranked fast and others just spin causing line twist when realed to fast. There is a lot more to crankbaiting than apparently many of you realize. Each have there strong points and weak points. Some break way to easy. Others seem nearly impossible to tune to run straight. It mainly takes a lot of time and money to get a good grasp on cranking. I've particurlaly of struggled with the "deep diving" cranks. But again...conditions are such here that for most of the year they are not needed...and when they are the fish are more inactive and I'm better served throwing a carolina or drop shot rig, or some other slow soft plastic presentation. good luck guys.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 05:09 PM   #25
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I think the pros would tell ya not to use a rattle in a jig with super clear water.
Even in clear water using a loud ol rattletrap, it still produces, I guess the vibration or sound makes em snap eh?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.