Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-05, 01:07 AM   #1

Default Big Bass??

Lately i've been fishing in my Grandad's pond..I mostly use spinner baits and all i seem to be catching is smaller bass(every once in a while i'll catch a decent sized one). The pond is 15-20 years old so i know there's big bass in there. I'm just wondering how to catch those big guys????any help? :-/
Old 04-30-05, 09:54 AM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: Big Bass??

I've read that the bigger bass only comprise about 3 percent of the overall bass population. If you are catching bass, eventually you will, in all probability, eventually hang one large bass sooner or later. If you are fishing fast, slow down......also try upsizing your lures as well as downsizing. If you are fishing shallows or mid ranges, try deeper from time to time. Vary your retrieves to augment your presentations.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 10:03 AM   #3
eyes
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try a Jig & Pig in a Green Pumpkin (brown), Watermelon (Green), or Black & Blue color.
eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 11:10 AM   #4
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

all i have to say is dont limit yourself to one type of lures try anything and everything try things that are off the wall big small unusual things and try thing that you think those bass have never in there lives have seen before. hope this helps
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 12:59 PM   #5
ahlkajflakjj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ahlkajflakjj
Default h tRe: Big Bass??

Adam, im a pond fisherman and I have been turned onto flukes for fishing ponds...I usually used spinnerbaits but I tried flukes in albino and watermelon and you'll catch your share...and I caught bigger bass with the flukes....try them.
ahlkajflakjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 01:34 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

When it comes to ponds soft jerkbaits are hard to beat. Flukes like wes suggests, and I really like Tiki Sticks. Rig them weedless and weightless and work them with soft twitches of the rod tip.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 01:40 PM   #7
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

Bigger Bass tend to go deeper. If thats the case in your pond I would use a tube bait caralina rig and bonce it of the bottom. The color depends on water and you. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 03:09 PM   #8
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

I think Tiki Sticks are the best bait for muckey pond conditions. i fish a mucky pond and i cought 4 bass in 10 minutes with the wave worm tiki stick!!!! There awsome! I should try my 7" powerbait power worms to see if i get anything hits on that!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 07:50 PM   #9
procraft190
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to procraft190

pig-n-jig all the way for big bass ......adam whats your last name
procraft190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 09:02 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

What are you calling small and what are you calling decent? Are you fishing this pond from boat or bank? If bank, just fish a lot, use a variety of lures and you'll catch your share of better ones if they're in there.

In the pond I fish most, I've had big ones (big being a relative term) on crankbaits, topwaters, soft jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, Senkos and plastic worms, so a variety of lures can produce larger fish.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 12:01 AM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

two words, tiki dip stiks. fish parralell to the bank and fish any vegitation or structure you can find.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 12:48 PM   #12
ahlkajflakjj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ahlkajflakjj

what color should he use?(Tiki sticks)
ahlkajflakjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 12:55 PM   #13
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

What kind of cover is there? Reeds? most bass with lurk in reeds for shade and cover in ponds, even when it looks like there is 1 foot of water. Next figure out
where the first drop is,, lets say, maybe from a 3 ft depth to a 7 foot,, either spots is where I would target and if your new to bass fishing try a rubber worm, its easy and a good way to gain confidence, and I would bet most of us here started out worming~
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 02:16 PM   #14
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

I turned my friend on to worming years into bass fishing. Amazing that he never tried it. Now everytime we fish he uses a worm more than me. P.S I still out fish him
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 05:48 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

A 6" worm rigged weightless will produce alot of fish. Buzzbaits can catch big fish in ponds, but you have to make alot of casts to the same areas alot of times before you will get a strike.When pond fishing notice what area or depth your catching the fish, sometimes a certain depth will hold the fish due to the oxygen level of the pond.I hope this helps you, ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 12:28 AM   #16
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason

personally ive never caught a bass over 4 lbs but try a jig and pig work it slowly, remember big bass are loners and will only give chase if the pray is worth the trouble, so try big lures.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.