Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-05, 08:42 AM   #1
bigbassbob
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbassbob
Default Is 5/0 to big?

On almost every plastic that I fish, it's on a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook. Do ya'll think that i could get a better hookset, if I used 4/0 or 3/0, because not everyone is a lunker. Thanks!
bigbassbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 09:26 AM   #2
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default Re: Is 5/0 to big?

No stay with the 5/0 you have a bigger probability of the fish taking the hook instead of right behind it. Before i started using 5/0's th fish were getting right behind the hook and ripping the bait clean off, now i dont get that as often.

Hope this helps.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 11:57 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

PATIENT,

The thickness of the bait should dictate the hook size. On plastic worms, lizards & creature baits, a 3/0 is plenty large enough. It is when you get into the thicker baits that you need to upsize your hooks. I totally use EWG hooks on plastics because the plastic does not ball up in the hook bend and prevent a good hookset.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 12:41 PM   #4
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmistress

Would a 1/0 hook be to big.

-BassinFreak#1-
bassmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 01:30 PM   #5
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I use a 5/0 as much as I can get by with it ;D
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 01:52 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

FREAK,

Do you ask STUPIDASSED questions just to be askin STUPIDASSED questions. We have been discussing 3/0 vs 5/0 hooks and you come back with "Are 1/0 hooks too big" DUH!

No. they are not too big for bass. it depends on what bait you are using. If anything, they may be too small.
Old 04-28-05, 02:04 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I would only use a 5/0 on a super big diamete plastic like a sluggo...thats an awfully big hook, plus I would fear the bass would detect it easier, plus the weight may make the plastic lure fall dif. etc]
I would stick to 1/0 2/0 3/0 for any 6 inch worm , lizard, stick worm
Look at your jigs, they are almost always in that hook size..I could only imagine using a 5/0 for a plastic with a diameter of 1/2 inch or more...
btw wheres Lizards been lately < ? > fishin or lurkin
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 03:11 PM   #8
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

it depends on the lure your fishin
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 03:31 PM   #9
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

JackL,

I was in a rush writing from work and didn't double check my question because my co-worker said my boss was coming, turns out he was just playing. Since you guys were discussing hooks I figured I could ask if 1/0 was to "SMALL" and you said they might be to small. That's all I wanted to know. Thank You.
Old 04-28-05, 04:20 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1114688569;start=0#6 date=04/28/05 at 13:04:17]I would only use a 5/0 on a super big diamete plastic like a sluggo...thats an awfully big hook, plus I would fear the bass would detect it easier, plus the weight may make the plastic lure fall dif. etc]
I would stick to 1/0 2/0 3/0 for any 6 inch worm , lizard, stick worm
Look at your jigs, they are almost always in that hook size..I could only imagine using a 5/0 for a plastic with a diameter of 1/2 inch or more...
btw wheres Lizards been lately < ? > fishin or lurkin[/quote]

YES ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 05:18 PM   #11
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

FREAK,
Sorry if I blew up, it's just that we seem to be inundated with snot-nosed wanna-be's asking the same damn question day after day without checking to see if the question has already been asked and answered. It seems like every youngster that signs on starts with the same old "What's your favorite hook, color, boat, lure, crankbait, plastic. line, reel, rod, motor, trolling motor, lake, fish, etc., etc., etc. They all want to be a pro tomorrow, and think that someone on this board will have the answers that will make them a millionaire pro fisherman before they are 21. It ain't gonna happen. The first place to start is to get an education. This means learn to READ and to SPELL as well as WRITE, using PROPER ENGLISH and PUNCTUATION.
A very good place for them to start to learn about fishing is to read every one of the ARTICLES in the ARTICLES section. There is a world of wealth written by Pro's and Semi-Pro's on just about every subject from worms to hooks to crankbaits to spinnerbaits to rods. They do not want to bother reading to learn, they would just rather get on this site and impress themselves by being a PAIN IN THE A$$ by asking DUMBASS QUESTIONS. I often times doubt if they are even interested in an honest answer, they are just interested in asking questions.
Again, sorry I snapped and took it out on you.

JackL
Old 04-28-05, 06:49 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i am shocked an appology from jackl....
wow!!! did you completely get up on the wrong side of the shed this morning jackl? but you are totally justified in doing so imo.i also have tired of the same dam questions every couple of days or so..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 06:58 PM   #13
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

JackL,

It's alright, just know I am no little kid who is trying to become pro overnight. I read about products that come out, I read what pros think about them, then I recently started asking these questions to the real fishermen, you guys. I say real fishermen, because pros get paid good money to endorse a product they probably don't use.

Don't waste your time getting mad over a stupid question, it's more work getting mad over it than ignoring it, or responding to it. I could have been mad at your response and written a response just like yours. Then we would have been going back and for-ward. Why am I going to stress about and ruin my day. Two wrongs don't make a right. I am not here to argue with anyone, just to learn. What I got to worry about is catching a BASS. I'll share a sad sad secret; I have not caught a BASS in over a YEAR. Thats STRESS!!

;D-BASSINFREAK- ;D
Old 04-28-05, 07:01 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JackL link=board=news;num=1114688569;start=0#10 date=04/28/05 at 16:18:05]FREAK,
Â* Â* Sorry if I blew up, it's just that we seem to be inundated with snot-nosed wanna-be's asking the same damn question day after day without checking to see if the question has already been asked and answered. It seems like every youngster that signs on starts with the same old Â*"What's your favorite hook, color, boat, lure, crankbait, plastic. line, reel, rod, motor, trolling motor, lake, fish, etc., etc., etc. They all want to be a pro tomorrow, and think that someone on this board will have the answers that will make them a millionaire pro fisherman before they are 21. It ain't gonna happen. The first place to start is to get an education. This means learn to READ and to SPELL as well as WRITE, using PROPER ENGLISH and PUNCTUATION.
Â* Â* A very good place for them to start to learn about fishing is to read every one of the ARTICLES in the ARTICLES section. There is a world of wealth written by Pro's and Semi-Pro's on just about Â*every subject from worms to hooks to crankbaits to spinnerbaits to rods. They do not want to bother reading to learn, they would just rather get on this site and impress themselves by being a PAIN IN THE A$$ by asking DUMBASS QUESTIONS. I often times doubt if they are even interested in an honest answer, they are just interested in asking questions.
Â* Â* Again, sorry I snapped and took it out on you.

JackL [/quote]

Just had to save this one ;D ;D ;D

Lizards
Old 04-28-05, 08:36 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=BassinFreak#1 link=board=news;num=1114688569;start=0#3 date=04/28/05 at 11:41:57]Would a 1/0 hook be to big.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*-BassinFreak#1-[/quote]
i actually took it as a smarty response ;D found it funny to. ;D anyways, you havnt caught a bass in over a year? wow, that is stress.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 09:39 PM   #16
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Why do I feel like I wasted my time and effort? Nothing is going to change!
Old 04-28-05, 09:40 PM   #17
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JackL link=board=news;num=1114688569;start=0#15 date=04/28/05 at 20:39:23]
Â* Â* Why do I feel like I wasted my time and effort? Nothing is going to change![/quote]

Now that's the JackL we've all grown to love

Lizards
Old 04-28-05, 10:36 PM   #18
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

but don't it feel great to vent ??

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 11:14 PM   #19
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

JackL
i think somebody slipped something into our geritol..i been a little edgy myself(in case you couldn't tell)...lmao! ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 11:20 PM   #20
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Edgy is good, you guys have earned it.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-05, 11:40 AM   #21
fisherman_craig
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherman_craig

Holy crap yall! Chill, Colaborate and listen........

8)
fisherman_craig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.