Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-05, 01:41 PM   #1
Bassmasterjr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassmasterjr
Default red hooks

Do you think using red hooks makes any difference? ....like on soft plastic rigs, or as replacement hooks on crankbaits.
Bassmasterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 01:49 PM   #2
Bassassin16
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: red hooks

;D no they dont i use them all the time it look like blood to them so it attrackes them use them it will pay back for u

good luck
Bassassin16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 05:14 PM   #3
fool4bassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fool4bassin

i remember trying to get this bass off a bed over and over and over then changed to a red hook and amazingly first cast BAM braught her in :P
fool4bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 06:34 PM   #4
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

BassinDan,
I don't think it hurts anything, if your presentation is effective that lunker is going to eat your bait no matter what color hooks you have on .

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:47 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I don't know about that. Ky. This past Monday my buddy and I were both using Tii Sticks, but in different colors. I had 6 hits to his zero until he switched to the same color. Another time he turned the tables on me, four in the boat before I had a hit, so there are times when it makes a difference.

Dan, for me the jury is still out on the red hooks. I need to do some more field work ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 01:28 AM   #6
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

They help! I changed the front hook on all of my crankbaits and put a red one in it's place. I would say that 95% of the fish that I catch on a crankbait are hooked by the front hook. That tells me that they are attracted to it.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 11:59 AM   #7
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Reb,
Read my post again, I am not talking about bait color I only talked about hook color. Bait color is a totally different topic.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 12:08 PM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Well, no. The reason 95% of the fish you catch are hooked on the front hook, is because most fish hit the front of the bait in the first place. You also say you replaced ALL your hooks with red ones. Naturally you catch more fish on red hooks.

It's a gimmick. It's been around before, it will die out and come back again in a few years. It won't hurt anything.

IF color makes ANY difference, it's because a fish can see one color better than another. Not because they "like" one color better than another.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 01:26 AM   #9
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Well Cajun, it seems me and you ain't seeing eye to eye.

First- I STRONGLY disagree with you when you say that the fish hits the front hook most of the time. When I attended a Bassmaster University several years ago David Fritts stated that just about every time a bass hits a crankbait, it's from the REAR. I tend to believe him since he's considered one of the premier crankbait fishermen in the world. Since that seminar, I started to pay very strict attention to how the fish was hooked before I tried to land it. Unless the bite was very aggresive, most fish was indeed hooked by the back hook. In some cases they would get the front hook too by thrashing around.

Second- Go back and re-read my post. I didn't say that I changed ALL my hooks to red ones. I said that "I changed the FRONT hook on all my crankbaits and put a red one in it's place." Now do the math....If the fish has his choice of hitting the red hook or the back hook. 95% of the time it's the red one.

Bottom line is that if you have a closed mind then you are missing out. In fact I remember when I said that if a worm didn't have some kind of wiggly type tail on it that it wouldn't catch fish. ;D Now I have a box full of Senkos.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 02:12 AM   #10
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

I catch just as many fish with or without red hooks. It's all about your preference.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 03:51 PM   #11
Bassmasterjr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassmasterjr

I'm pretty sure that depth has something to do with it. Descending through the water column, there's a point at which red is no longer red. It's a wavelength thing.....like that red line that disappears. ???
Bassmasterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 07:39 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i totally agree with ranger bass hits cranks from the rear but not always look at it this way if the bass is on the front hook you are working it the right speed a tad faster and they will be on the rear hook. i have only had 3 bass grab a crank head first. i lost two of them.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 11:52 PM   #13
Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Basser

i think they work. undercertain cond. they may be more or less productive.all depends, but its nice to have that xtra shiny spot on bait
Basser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.