Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-11, 11:08 PM   #1
G-Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Life Vest

Can anyone give me some direction on a Life Vest for Bass Fishin??
What to buy?? Where to buy it?
What do you think of the Bass Pro Shop...Mustang Survival Competition Inflatable PFD Vest with HIT™ - Model MD3183 BC
Id appreciate some direction here.
Thanks in advance
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:01 AM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the site G-man.

I've never owned an inflatable PFD, so what I thought about them wouldn't count for much. As far as where to purchase one, well I think its safe to say that you can find them at most sporting goods stores. I believe the one that I wear, I paid around $30 for it. I forget what brand it is, so. Anyways, I'd like to add that, whenever I'm running my boat's big motor, I always have my PFD and KILL SWITCH on. It's a good practice. Well have fun shopping for your life vest and "good fishing!"

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:13 AM   #3
MIbasser

I have a Mustang but not the HIT. Mine is both manual & automatic. I think they are great to wear. Check with local laws as most inflatables need to be worn at all times to count.

I've heard a lot of the guys with the "go fast" boats actually prefer a full blown zip up jacket http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...02751/-1591179 as they know if you ever get thrown out at high speed you will float and don't trust an inflatable.

But as Woody said - kill switch and jacket on at all times!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:30 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just bought a new vest last year after looking at a bunch of them. I ended up buying the Cabelas Full Motion vest. It costs $50.00 and is VERY comfortable to wear. Not bulky at all. I highly recommend this one.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:32 AM   #5
Bender

I have a couple Cabelas ones that are very comfortable. But they do get warm so I got a Mustang but not the hydrostatic one. I wish I had paid a little more for it. Mine is great to wear but for some reason the indicator went red and the ring on the CO2 cartridge broke. It never inflated and I have bought two more and broken both of them upon installation. Mustang sent me a replacement but it's not the right part. I need to send the whole thing in to them.

I hope I never have to find out how well it works but it is nice to wear.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 07:49 AM   #6
walkeraviator

I prefer Neoprene Ski Jackets. They tend to be less bulky and dont ride up as much when i sit down. The down side is that they are a little more expensive. BPS has a nice one for a good price: http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Neoprene-...05474/-1647130
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:13 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Hot weather I usually use a Sterns (self) inflatable, too hot for the full vests I have. Cooler weather the full vests are fine - and warmer. Mine just happen to be my boat brand vests. One note on the inflatables - they vary in bouyancy - the Mustangs are all good, probably the best available. Some of the cheaper ones don't have the bouyancy for an adult (IMO). Get one rated at 35#. I really think the dual inflatable - having both a hydorstatic and manual inflation is best. If you pass out or hit your head going overboard, you likely won't be able to manually inflate the vest. The newer vests have mostly eliminated hydrostatic vests inflating in the rain. AND ALWAYS have a spare arming kit onboard for the inflatable, or a back up standard vest.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 02:23 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

I bought my grandpa a Mustang inflatable life jacket with HIT a few Christmas' back. He is getting up there in years and I was concerned with his ability to save himself if he fell in (becoming clumsy in his older age lol). He promised me he would wear it from the time the boat hit the water until he was on the parking lot at the end of the day, and so far he has kept his promise. He said that the first 5 minutes or so that he wore it he knew it was there but after that he didn't even realize it was on him. Like MIbasser said, check your local laws. Here if you take it off you better have a regular life jacket in the boat or you are considered without a life jacket at all. And if it deploys it no longer counts as a life jacket also. Neither of those laws make much sense to me because if you fell in you would have just as much trouble grabbing a traditional life jacket as you would the inflatable type, but anyways that's how the law reads.
Old 01-21-11, 06:12 PM   #9
cassidyta

Kory,

The reason that they don't count it as a regular jacket is that you can not have it tossed to you and have it float right. In most places (of course, misery might be different) you can also get by with a tossable floatation device like a ski belt or seat cushion that is calssifed as a PFD.

Steve,

I think it is all a matter of how big your water is. All of my lakes are small so I wear a basic BPS model that ran about $20. I only wear it when under the main motor and take it off when I am on the deck. I am not saying that it is the best practice, but I am comfortable that I will be okay if I fall while fishing.
Old 01-21-11, 07:13 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Kory,

The reason that they don't count it as a regular jacket is that you can not have it tossed to you and have it float right. In most places (of course, misery might be different) you can also get by with a tossable floatation device like a ski belt or seat cushion that is calssifed as a PFD.

Steve,

I think it is all a matter of how big your water is. All of my lakes are small so I wear a basic BPS model that ran about $20. I only wear it when under the main motor and take it off when I am on the deck. I am not saying that it is the best practice, but I am comfortable that I will be okay if I fall while fishing.
That is what I figured their reason was for the law. But we are required to keep a throwable flotation device in the boat anyways, and that is why I don't understand why the throwable won't suffice. Maybe I need to re-read out state laws to make sure I am not mistaking.
Old 01-21-11, 08:05 PM   #11
cassidyta

I am sure it has something to do with Missouri sister-wife laws. :-)
Old 01-21-11, 08:58 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I am sure it has something to do with Missouri sister-wife laws. :-)
LOL your just upset because all you have to be proud of is Nancy Pelosi.
Old 01-22-11, 12:04 PM   #13
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default vest

G-man remember the an inflatable is ONLY a lifejacket when it's being worn, if you take them off they're no long considered a PFD. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 03:49 PM   #14
G-Man

Thank YALL
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 12:16 AM   #15
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
LOL your just upset because all you have to be proud of is Nancy Pelosi.

And that is not saying much at all!!

Cass,
If you are in her district please tell me that you didn't vote for her!

And back the subject of the thread....
A life jacket must be comfortable for you to be willing to wear it. Try several on and then remember that if you will be fishing in the winter or spring, you will have a lot more clothes on than in the summer months. Take that into consideration when picking out a jacket!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 12:02 PM   #16
Old Hooker

I recentley bought a Bass Pro Shop XPS Platinum vest for about $70. It was the most comfortable vest of the ones I tried on. I think it will be just fine for everything I do.
Old 01-28-11, 08:33 PM   #17
walkeraviator

Was at the boat show watching a smallmouth fishing seminar, when the army corps guys got up to talk life vests. they let a guy put one on and they inflated it. Then they discussed legality. Not only a state law, but on navigable waterways, the coast guard rule is that if an inflatable is not on your body it is not legal flotation. They said as many do on here... the best life jacket is teh one that is comfortable enough that you will wear it.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.