Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-05, 12:29 PM   #1
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50
Default Pinnacle Zester Model ZMF35 Spinning Reel

I am looking at this reel and like its features and it is very smooth. I think I am going to use PowerPro 15lb/4lb dia line on this reel. Any thoughts or reviews of this reel and/or thoughts on the PowerPro on spinning reels would be apperciated.

Here is a link to the reel:

http://www.silstar.com/guide/sreels_zester.html

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 02:54 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Pinnacle Zester Model ZMF35 Spinning Reel

bit pricey for me but it looks like a nice reel.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:31 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Looks like a decent reel, what are you planning on using it for? I have lots of spinning reels(well not as many now). But I always buy the larger size(40). I like th retieve speed, and the amount of line it can handle. Since I use Fireline mostly on my spinning, it just meens less time respooling which is a positive in my book. Since you will just need to cut off the last 10 feet or so occasionally, it just plain lasts longer. I don't own any Pinnacle spinning reels, but I did just buy one of their Baitcasting reels the Carrera. Which I couldn't find on the site, but the Matrix is the closet almost Identical.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 07:04 PM   #4
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50

My local shop has the reel by itself for $129.99 but get this. They got a deal at the trade show and got rod/reel combos in, the combo has the above reel and a nice SPX3 rod for $99.99. I put it on layaway along with the PowerPro line.

lizardsrule,
I will be using it as a all-purpose type rig. In a realistic setting, I will be looking at fish in the 1lb-4lb range about 95% of the time, in fairly open water or chunking worms or light jigs in light brush. My old setup consisted of a medium action spinning rod/reel combo made by Quantum spooled with 8lb SilverThread I used it for everything and it help up fairly well.

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 07:31 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 11:41 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=mikedurrbeck link=board=MessBoards;num=1110814190;start=0#3 date=03/14/05 at 17:04:48]My local shop has the reel by itself for $129.99 but get this. They got a deal at the trade show and got rod/reel combos in, the combo has the above reel and a nice SPX3 rod for $99.99. I put it on layaway along with the PowerPro line.

lizardsrule,
I will be using it as a all-purpose type rig. In a realistic setting, I will be looking at fish in the 1lb-4lb range about 95% of the time, in fairly open water or chunking worms or light jigs in light brush. My old setup consisted of a medium action spinning rod/reel combo made by Quantum spooled with 8lb SilverThread I used it for everything and it help up fairly well.

Mike[/quote]

Well for that price and the info I read buy 2 of them
;D I would think anything in the 20 thru 40 model's would work for your application. Open water is just something I rarely fish, since most of the fish I am after are in the heaviest stuff around, be it weeds, laydowns, etc... I usually fish a private coal pit of approx 150 acres, that the water drops off greatly 6' off the bank, to perhaps 10 feet, and keeps going down quickly. So the fish with hold in the cover along the banks, since deep water is right next to them(25 feet) So I use Fireline and PowerPro because of having to horse them outa of it. If I am fishing open water(which sometimes I do in some local reservoirs), I have no problem with 12lb mono(as you can see I like heavier equip and line), and I also use this for topwater and cranks. But again where I usually fish the cranks are tough to use except along the edge of the weedline, and on the topwater, they are going into the slop quickly If I don't get them in fast. So I rarely have to fight a fish, I just get them in to the boat quickly ,which either of the above lines have worked extremely well for this kinda of fishing. But since you are using PowerPro, just remember that when fishing cranks watch your hooksets, you can yank them right out of their mouth in a second, with no give on the line. That's why I also prefer a Med rod with a moderate action for cranks. I'm so prone to really setting the hook hard, and then going to cranks is hard to retrain your brain to ease up.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.