Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-05, 01:14 PM   #1
MrMusky
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MrMusky
Default Lots-a-lillys

in my lake there is a huge patch of lillys. it is really thick and right on the shore. i have gotten a few huge bites on worms but i can't get them out. i want something that works great that makes these fish bite all the time. i have tried a frog, but no luck. i have seen the fish under the pads and they are big, and there are alot of them. i have never gotten them out of there either. i need help.
MrMusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 01:25 PM   #2
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie
Default Re: Lots-a-lillys

Well if there hitting on worms then keep using them. Get some braded line. That will put them out of there!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 01:28 PM   #3
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikey

what kind of frog have u tried
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 01:28 PM   #4
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Work around the lilypads.

One thing I like to do with worms is hop them across the top then let them sink a few inches away from the lilypads.

then when the bass hits, keep them from going in the weeds!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 01:39 PM   #5
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikey

or t rig a lizard weightless and cast on the top of the lilpads and move across until it falls of the end of them and it is in open water so it looks like a dumb lizard tahts drowing or going to drown
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 03:10 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
i want something that works great that makes these fish bite all the time
Don't we all. Unfortunately, there ain't no such animal.

I do have one suggestion: Switch to braided line. In the real heavy stuff like you are describing that is your best bet for getting them out.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 03:43 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Lots-a-Lilly's

We fish Indian lake in Ohio and its full of lily pads,
You'll have more chances to hook up if you can fish the edges or something distinctive different on the edge.
What works up here is a thin profile tube, (super doo) or (gizits).
True, the root system on lily pads are unforgiving, once you hook into one, your not going to pull it out of the water, if you use plastics make sure its weedless and buried into the plastic to prevent hangups..
Fishing the edges for us produces more fish than trying to run your bait through it..even tho there are fish in there sometimes, its hard to get them out..
You may want to try a spinnerbait or buzzbait along the edges too..
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 08:48 PM   #8
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

scum frogs are said to work real well in lily pads.
Old 06-25-05, 08:51 PM   #9
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

Just like every one said switch to braided line. I would suggest Power Pro. I use it on almost all of my reels. You can get some 40lb. teast in 10lb. test diameter. And throw it in the thickest stuff you can find and dont worry it aint gonna break. Your more likely to pull up a tree than to break that line. Since your fishing pads i would sugest that you get it in green. Stick with the worms and try them wieghtless. I always seem to catch more fish in the summer going weightless. If that dont work try a wacky rig.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 11:52 PM   #10
buzzb8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to buzzb8er

I would try fishing the edges as suggested before, but if you know the fish are in the thick of it you can try stalking (I think that is the name of it). You take a weedless rig such as t-rig and cast it into the pads and swim it to one. Don't pull it over the pad just get your line on top of the pad and dangle the worm or the plastic off the edge of the pad the length of the stalk. It is kind of like throwing a worm over a tree branch and bouncing it free. I personally haven't had much luck with frogs, but have found in my limited experience that this works pretty well, but nothing will make them bite all the time.
Hope this helps somewhat.
brobrian
buzzb8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 12:54 AM   #11
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

if ur real series about it go get u a 7-8 foot flippin stick 30 lb braided line and a 6 foot 45 lb florocarbon leader with a good strong reel and jus pulls him out or pull his jaws off heavy drag, line, and the rod are the game horse him out dont let him take a centimeter of line when u set the hook he either comes out or his lips do ive fished lilies alot and muscle is the name of the game
wieghtless aint gunna work if they are thick lillies heavy bullet weight toothpicked in place inch infront of worm and remember a longer super stiff rod so when u set the hook hes coming out he can only come straight if there is no give to your equipment and u keep the line tight
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 06:21 PM   #12
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I'd chunk a spinnerbait, jig, and any soft plastic lure but I'd probably start with a tube.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 06:31 PM   #13
handtiedbaits
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to handtiedbaits

i fish a small lake that has one patch of liily pad i found that is the the top water frog did not work try a top water mouse. i m not sure what they are called but we caught many down here in arkansas with the mouse
handtiedbaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 03:40 AM   #14
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

I fish a farm pond that only has a few feet of area's where there isnt any lillies the pond is pretty much lilly pads... i always seem to catch em big time on senko's and buzzbaits
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.